Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by spankytoes
To play devil's advocate, breakfast is not a Platinum amenity. You were treated to breakfast as part of their service, not Hyatt policy. So, if the only charge you had to pay for was eggs, consider yourself pretty lucky. 6 Euros for a full breakfast in Paris is pretty salty. (Especially in the Vendome neighborhood) The fact that they took it off the bill was gracious as they specifically stated that eggs were not included.

For what its worth, bacon is definitely included as I got a bowl of it each morning. I still salivate over the chocolate mousse in shot glasses, little silver spoons and fresh strawberries. On the other hand, the Pop Tart I had this morning was good…
While breakfast is not an amenity, I was offered it complimentary, with the words "Full American Breakfast"...

Bacon was not offered, eggs and meat was extra. Anything hot that had to be 'ordered' was not included. The only hot item on the buffet area that I can think of was the quiche -- which was quite tasty.

There was no mousse in glasses, did this have to be ordered through the server?

again, I'm not complaining, I'm grateful for the free stay (well, I did order a room service burger late at night, at a cost of 40 euros!), and free breakfast. Still, with the "quality" of this hotel, it shouldn't have been so confusing and demeaning to obtain my 'free' breakfast.

Last edited by alanisrox69; Jul 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
While breakfast is not an amenity, I was offered it complimentary, with the words "Full American Breakfast"...

Bacon was not offered, eggs and meat was extra. Anything hot that had to be 'ordered' was not included. The only hot item on the buffet area that I can think of was the quiche -- which was quite tasty.

There was no mousse in glasses, did this have to be ordered through the server?

again, I'm not complaining, I'm grateful for the free stay (well, I did order a room service burger late at night, at a cost of 40 euros!), and free breakfast. Still, with the "quality" of this hotel, it shouldn't have been so confusing and demeaning to obtain my 'free' breakfast.
The stay is not "FREE" we pay with points that we earn , that is why we are and should be treated as any other guest , not healthy to think we stay free LOL!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

On the topic of breakfast, is coffee/tea included? Espresso?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
On the topic of breakfast, is coffee/tea included? Espresso?
everything !
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
The stay is not "FREE" we pay with points that we earn , that is why we are and should be treated as any other guest , not healthy to think we stay free LOL!
True! In fact, I used 44k Chase points. I would've probably been better off using them for a flight (my AA JFK to LON flight was 50k points for Business class -- cash ticket cost was something like $3000...)

either way, my idea behind my trip was to spend as little real $ as possible. I guess the points are more valuable using them for a flight, but I had plenty of points for the flight both ways + hotels.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
crimson - "hybrid" seems fine

That's kind of like saying, here's a dozen doughnuts, but you can only eat 10.
Another excellent example of a Full American breakfast! ^
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:49 am

Sorry if this question has been answered a million times before...

Which is better - Vendome or Madeleine?

Right now I'm booked for 3 free nights at the Vendome and 1 at the Madeleine. I think I can get 4 at the Madeleine though.

Should I do that or stick with changing hotels?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by poorbanker
Sorry if this question has been answered a million times before...

Which is better - Vendome or Madeleine?

Right now I'm booked for 3 free nights at the Vendome and 1 at the Madeleine. I think I can get 4 at the Madeleine though.

Should I do that or stick with changing hotels?
I was upgraded to a Deluxe room at Madeleine, but probably only by chance. I heard the rooms there are VERY small if you don't get one of the 'deluxe' rooms. Apparently there are even smaller rooms for gold passport awards that I read on some forums. I would stick with changing. I had to change for my last night in Paris too and it was no big deal. Checked out at 2pm at Vendome, taxi'ed over to Madeleine (3mins), checked in in 5mins and I was back to my day....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Have stayed at both. Vendome is nicer and, I think, is better located.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Paid upgrade question

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Have stayed at both. Vendome is nicer and, I think, is better located.
I apologize if this question has been asked in the past. I'm looking for recent guest experiences with attempting to pay for upgrades at check-in. Has anyone had success negotiating an upgrade on the day of check-in, at a reduced cost? I'm particularly interested in the cost to upgrade to the Park Suite (more of a larger room) from a Park Queen (on points).

Also, I don't think many take advantage of the bike program. I've enjoyed staying here twice this past year and cannot more highly recommend it. They provide the helmet, water, and a good bike at no extra charge. Taking it out in the early morning for a ride around Paris on the quiet weekends is fantastic!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
I apologize if this question has been asked in the past. I'm looking for recent guest experiences with attempting to pay for upgrades at check-in. Has anyone had success negotiating an upgrade on the day of check-in, at a reduced cost? I'm particularly interested in the cost to upgrade to the Park Suite (more of a larger room) from a Park Queen (on points).

Also, I don't think many take advantage of the bike program. I've enjoyed staying here twice this past year and cannot more highly recommend it. They provide the helmet, water, and a good bike at no extra charge. Taking it out in the early morning for a ride around Paris on the quiet weekends is fantastic!
Had I known about a bike program I would've taken advantage of it! Is this publically posted somewhere?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Had I known about a bike program I would've taken advantage of it! Is this publically posted somewhere?
Yes, I remember it being posted somewhere in the room. This, however, is not how I learned about it. I was interested in renting a bike as soon as I got to Paris but couldn't rent one because my cc doesn't have the type of security chip the machines require so I asked the concierge if they knew of a way I could rent a bike. When he responded that they have a bike program I was very impressed.

Does anyone have information on my paid upgrade question a post above?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Does anyone have information on my paid upgrade question a post above?
The hotel confirms upgrades upon payment of the difference in rack rate between base (award) category and either Park Deluxe or Park Suite.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
There is a very efficient bike program organized by the city of Paris
http://en.velib.paris.fr/
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
There is a very efficient bike program organized by the city of Paris
http://en.velib.paris.fr/
Thank you for the information on the paid upgrades!

Yes, Velib is a great program except that it doesn't work with almost all north american credit cards (and at least one or two north americans would enjoy supporting this program). Having it as a perk of staying at the Park Hyatt Vendome is another example of their fantastic service. I can't wait to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.