Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Vendome should be getting all those things right but must be bad leadership from the top and Hyatt corporate mandated cuts.
Vienna and Zurich (just examples) have no problem getting these things right.

This is a corporate owned property, so ultimately Hyatt bears the blame, but I suspect the real cause is poor management at the property level. (Noting that Zurich is also corporate owned.)
dwhelan5 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee

This is a corporate owned property, so ultimately Hyatt bears the blame, but I suspect the real cause is poor management at the property level. (Noting that Zurich is also corporate owned.)
This property seems to be a poisoned chalice for GMs. Can't explain how seasoned Hyatt managers let this property become the way it is.
dwhelan5 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not only PH Vienna is much better hotel, but also as city I do prefer it to Paris. That is why I went again to Vienna this summer and not to Paris.
PH Vendome is "hype" hotel, mainly for location and the cost of accommodation in Paris but compairing to hard and soft product inside those hotels, PH Vienna beats it in every category.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Finished a 3 night stay a few weeks back, and overall I had a good time. But my next two Hyatt's, PH Milan, and PH Vienna, did indeed exceed the quality of this property. Milan has the benefit of being newly renovated, and I thought the room there (Park Executive Suite) was exceptional. Vienna hasn't adjusted their Premium Suite, so that was the best room I stayed in of the three (Diplomat Suite)

At the PH Paris, I booked into a Park Suite on an all-points reservation, and was given a comp upgrade as a Globalist to a Park Exec suite. I was overall satisfied with the room, but it could still use an update.

Service was decent, but not quite so refined as in Milan or Vienna. Vienna had people waiting for us when we arrived, Milan had a breakfast server who noticed we weren't talking much and went out of her way to converse. Nothing so "personal" occurred at the PH Paris.
While I'd put it at the bottom of the 4 European PH's I've visited (three listed plus Zurich), by no means did I think this was a bad property. And while I can understand the sentiment that it's overhyped, I don't think it's half as hyped as it used to be, or half as bad as the over-hype surrounding Ventana.

I concur with Jaenks based on our short stays in Paris and Vienna.... Vienna has a leg up. I'll likely return there sooner than Paris.
Cheers!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:24 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I concur with Jaenks based on our short stays in Paris and Vienna.... Vienna has a leg up. I'll likely return there sooner than Paris.
Cheers!
VIE is a true star in the entire chain and the GM Monique Dekker is exceptional. You can see that from the top down she makes this property shine and that's how luxury hotels should be.

We too had the Diplomatic Suite and we're also going back!
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by dwhelan5
Just completed a four night stay. If I had to sum up our experience here it would be a giant “meh”. Let it be known that I am judging this relative to other 5 star hotels I’ve stayed at (5 in the last ~year). Park Hyatt Vendome probably checks in as the worst of the bunch.

The good:

- Was upgraded? To a room with a balcony which we enjoyed a lot. Great views of the street below and looking into Palace Vendome.

- Concierge was also very good. Well educated on a variety of subjects and requests were always prompt.

- Location can’t be beat. Fantastic central location in the Heart of Paris.

- Spacious base level room for a city hotel, including the bathroom. Bathroom was also well stocked as you’d expect at a hotel of this caliber.

- Very nice welcome amenity of champagne and macaroons for our honeymoon.

- 50% off breakfast for explorists

The Bad:

- Upon check in at 10am our room was not ready, as expected. They put us on a priority list and said it should be ready soon. We walked around Paris for four hours we checked back and they informed us it would be 10 minutes. I let them know we’d wait in the lobby. The FD agent said he would bring us over the keys when the room was ready. After an hour and still no keys, I checked the app and it said our digital key was ready. I walked back over and he said our room was ready (keys had already been made) and our bags were in the room. I suspect the room had been ready for a while and he had forgotten he said he would bring us the keys. Not how you want to start your hotel experience.

- Upon arriving at our room, the welcome amenity the hotel said would be waiting in our room for our honeymoon was not there. Not a huge deal as it showed up a few hours later, but a lack of attention to detail that should be expected at a hotel of this caliber.

- Awful overwhelming perfume smell. I actually don’t mind the scent when it’s subtle, unfortunately it’s overwhelming and made us feel nauseous.

- Our Eiffel Tower reservation was canceled due to a strike. No effort was made by concierge to help us reschedule over our remaining two days. Probably not something they can even help with so I’m not faulting them here, just pointing it out.

- Several Housekeeping Issues:
- Stained towels (multiple times over multiple days). Towels stained brown, one stained red, all in spots.
- Bathrobe the first day was stained and had several long hairs in it.
- After finishing our champagne they left the bottle and dirty glasses in our room for 2 nights.
- Dirty coffee mug I left by the coffee machine was left during cleaning.
- No chocolate or macaroon or anything at turndown service? Just surprising.

The things above are just not things I would expect at a 5 Star hotel of this caliber. Most of them didn’t really bother me, but they should be noted. And having stayed in a handful this year, it’s the only hotel where these things have happened. This hotel is not worthy of is €1,000+ price tag.

If we returned to Paris would likely stay at Madeline or Hotel Du Louvre.

As far as restaurants by the hotel - highly recommend Le Minet Galant!
I filled out the guest survey last week letting them know of the highlights (breakfast, concierge) and lowlights (mainly the stained towels and hair in bathrobes). Unprompted they deposited 10,000 Hyatt points in my account and apologized for the disappointments. I thought this was a nice gesture by the property and fair compensation (which I wasn’t expecting).
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:24 pm

I filled out the guest survey last week letting them know of the highlights (breakfast, concierge) and lowlights (mainly the stained towels and hair in bathrobes). Unprompted they deposited 10,000 Hyatt points in my account and apologized for the disappointments. I thought this was a nice gesture by the property and fair compensation (which I wasn’t expecting).
"Sorry our fancy hotel sucked... here's a free night at a Hyatt Place?"

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a grump. Something about throwing some token points at someone as "compensation" for an allegedly a 5 star hotel failing to deliver 5 star service rubs me the wrong way. It's a subpar response in line with their subpar service.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I got that unprompted from 50 Bowery for less serious issues than dirty robes and towels. A palace and Cat 8 hotel should do better.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:19 pm

Just wanted to share my most recent experience if it’s helpful to others. I stayed for 5 nights in January 2023 after a 6 night stay last March and an 8 night stay last September.

—Service was great from the front desk to the concierge to the bell staff. Was greeted by name every time and requests were met quickly. Concierge team welcomed me back and at check in a member of the front staff spent a few minutes conversing with me which felt like a nice personal touch.

—Used the hotel’s VIP arrival and car service at CDG and highly recommend it. I was in the car about 10 minutes after exiting the jetbridge and passed some crazy long lines.

—Given the same great room from my previous stay. I don’t know the category but it’s pretty large and was on the top floor with a balcony and view of Place Vendome.

—Room was ready at check in and given a welcome amenity of champagne, macarons, and fruit. Was happy about the room being available because it was early and during my last stay the room wasn’t ready for a few hours (they were really apologetic though).

—Love spending time in Cafe Jeanne especially at the terrace outside but this time service was noticeably slower than previous stays. I think it was because most people were indoors instead due to the cold weather and I noticed some of the wait staff were more proactive than others about checking on the terrace guests.

—Had in-room breakfast from Globalist status and everything was great except the oatmeal but that’s what I get for trying to be healthy one morning.

—Still love the location. Yes it’s touristy but it’s a quick walk to a lot of places and metro lines and was easy for me to get around because I walk and take the metro all the time.

—Housekeeping was good but I also had the champagne and fruit left in the room for a couple of days until I asked them to remove it. Some items I requested weren’t replenished regularly so I had to ask them a couple of times. Not a big deal but the items were replenished daily during previous stays.

—I think for me personally one of my favorite things about the hotel is that it feels intimate and private without being a snooty members type place. It doesn’t have a lot of tourists visiting the public areas because there aren’t really any and coming back each time after being out and about really felt like coming back home to a private residence.

—Hoping to return later this year and plan to use points if there are nights available and we’ll see if the service is different but it’s still one of my favorite hotels despite it not being the newest or most perfect hotel in its category. FWIW I wouldn’t stay at a place like the Ritz or similar places but I strongly considered the Lutetia because I heard it had a similar vibe to the PHV but was newer.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycnyc
FWIW I wouldn’t stay at a place like the Ritz or similar places but I strongly considered the Lutetia because I heard it had a similar vibe to the PHV but was newer.
There are several higher-end SLH properties in Paris, including Narcisse Blanc, which is a very nice boutique property, with a great location in the 7th.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Just wanted to share my most recent experience if it’s helpful to others. I stayed for 5 nights in January 2023 after a 6 night stay last March and an 8 night stay last September.

—Service was great from the front desk to the concierge to the bell staff. Was greeted by name every time and requests were met quickly. Concierge team welcomed me back and at check in a member of the front staff spent a few minutes conversing with me which felt like a nice personal touch.

—Used the hotel’s VIP arrival and car service at CDG and highly recommend it. I was in the car about 10 minutes after exiting the jetbridge and passed some crazy long lines.

—Given the same great room from my previous stay. I don’t know the category but it’s pretty large and was on the top floor with a balcony and view of Place Vendome.

—Room was ready at check in and given a welcome amenity of champagne, macarons, and fruit. Was happy about the room being available because it was early and during my last stay the room wasn’t ready for a few hours (they were really apologetic though).

—Love spending time in Cafe Jeanne especially at the terrace outside but this time service was noticeably slower than previous stays. I think it was because most people were indoors instead due to the cold weather and I noticed some of the wait staff were more proactive than others about checking on the terrace guests.

—Had in-room breakfast from Globalist status and everything was great except the oatmeal but that’s what I get for trying to be healthy one morning.

—Still love the location. Yes it’s touristy but it’s a quick walk to a lot of places and metro lines and was easy for me to get around because I walk and take the metro all the time.

—Housekeeping was good but I also had the champagne and fruit left in the room for a couple of days until I asked them to remove it. Some items I requested weren’t replenished regularly so I had to ask them a couple of times. Not a big deal but the items were replenished daily during previous stays.

—I think for me personally one of my favorite things about the hotel is that it feels intimate and private without being a snooty members type place. It doesn’t have a lot of tourists visiting the public areas because there aren’t really any and coming back each time after being out and about really felt like coming back home to a private residence.

—Hoping to return later this year and plan to use points if there are nights available and we’ll see if the service is different but it’s still one of my favorite hotels despite it not being the newest or most perfect hotel in its category. FWIW I wouldn’t stay at a place like the Ritz or similar places but I strongly considered the Lutetia because I heard it had a similar vibe to the PHV but was newer.
Thank you for your review. As a frequent stayer at the PHV (before COVID), I agree with all the points you made, having received the same amenities and personal attention that you did. So I am glad that the PHV is back to its old excellence. I am looking forward to returning this year.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Also enjoyed the review, which dovetails completely with our two short stays here this year.

This one in particular:

(Plus the fact that, absent Hyatt points and Globalist status, I couldn't touch this place or similar with a 3 meter pole.)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Third stay of the month (and 70th in total) and third Suite upgrade visible on the App one day before check in (1 Park, 1 Park Deluxe and 1 Residence). Much higher upgrade rate than on previous years (need to check my file but I guess it was historically below 50%).
Hotel was quiet this week but very busy the 2 previous ones.
Change of policy or luck?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Third stay of the month (and 70th in total) and third Suite upgrade visible on the App one day before check in (1 Park, 1 Park Deluxe and 1 Residence). Much higher upgrade rate than on previous years (need to check my file but I guess it was historically below 50%).
Have you ever interacted with the GM or Guest Experience Manager?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
I will be returning this year! Always love the service, the suite upgrade, and the location. The Michelin star restaurant is fantastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.