Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
My three-night stay turned into ten nights after I decided not to continue onto Germany for a Christmas Market tour. Contrary to my stay seven years ago, the first three nights of our recent stay, and the opinion of many, I learned to love this hotel.

The room for our first three nights was okay, it had nice high ceilings and views of the street, however, the closet location and position of the French doors just didn't cut it for the price of the room. We also had the bizarre Ikea pillow show up on our bed, but as discussed earlier in this thread, I think someone left a pillow behind and it stuck around.

Our friends in the adjoining room were upgraded to a Deluxe and we felt their room was superior with a walk-in closet and unobstructed French doors. They headed home so I asked if we booked seven more nights could we move over to their room. What a difference it made. We loved the room, the light, the ability to slightly step outside and check the weather, as well as the soaring ceilings afforded to the rooms located on the second floor. If you are lucky enough to score one of the front-facing rooms, I think you will be surprised at the difference.

In regards to service, we thought it was fairly consistent and in line with a luxury hotel. Housekeeping was daily and included turn down, a rare thing these days. Any requests of housekeeping for small items, shoeshine, laundry, etc. was immediately taken care of. The concierge was very helpful with dinner reservations, sending out laundry via an external service, and being blunt about not getting reservations at popular spots. Sure it seems stuffy on the surface, however, once staff gets to know you, it is not stuffy at all. We had an excellent server from Colombia at breakfast and the bartenders Michael and Mael are not only excellent at what they do, but they were also fun and helpful in recommending places for dinner. I felt we got a level of personal service that can only be delivered over a longer stay.

I can't elaborate on the food other than breakfast and evening cocktails. With Paris having so many dining choices, dining at the hotel was not an option. We were satisfied with breakfast and found the buffet to always be fresh and replenished often. As I said, evening drinks were always top-notch. I did ask about the "pre-mixed" cocktails discussed prior in this thread and was told they only do certain ones that have high demand. However, I do feel at 30 Euro a cocktail, pre-mixed should not be allowed.

Having been to Paris many times, we are always looking for new restaurants. We wanted to get into Shabour, but they were fully booked. However, the concierge suggested going for lunch at Balagan (about a 5 minute walk) as they do not accept reservations for lunch. This was a great recommendation. The restaurant has outstanding Israeli food in an open kitchen concept, with a fun soundtrack playing in the background. We liked it so much we returned a second time.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Nice review.

Not sure about now, but prepandemic the hotel restaurant Le Pur, was one I would eat at even if I wasn't staying there. Very pricey, but well deserving of it's Michelin star. It was great after a somewhat late arrival from London via train.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Recent posts here mentioning that the service and breakfast here has been pretty poor. Better to avoid this hotel for the Louvre?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Recent posts here mentioning that the service and breakfast here has been pretty poor. Better to avoid this hotel for the Louvre?
stayed here last week and felt the breakfast (restaurant and room service) was underwhelming. However, I feel the staff were very courteous and tried to do their best. Can’t compare to Louvre having never stayed there.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:01 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would chose the Louvre over PH. See the other thread comparing the two.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:42 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I can't wrap my mind around the breakfast here being poor.I think of a bad breakfast standard as Hyatt Place but Park Hyatt Paris?
I'm hard to please and prior to the pandemic the breakfast was very good shy of excellent I can't imagine having to leave the hotel
Granted there was a time years ago when it was extraordinary but that was a long time ago
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:15 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I can't wrap my mind around the breakfast here being poor.I think of a bad breakfast standard as Hyatt Place but Park Hyatt Paris?
I'm hard to please and prior to the pandemic the breakfast was very good shy of excellent I can't imagine having to leave the hotel
Granted there was a time years ago when it was extraordinary but that was a long time ago
Stay and then comment. Breakfast was going downhill pre-COVID. The only good thing I can say after our stay in November is we didn't pay for it.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In a higher category or more luxurious hotel, standards should be higher, including higher quality breakfast, which could mean more variety, higher quality, food more pleasant/elegant surroundings, better service, etc.

The breakfast could indeed be poor for a Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This hotel is suffering from being under Corporate's thumb and not having an advocate at the highest levels. The breakfast isn't what it was and is totally possible for a PH to have a poor breakfast. I've actually had some better French toasts at HPs than the B class PH I'm staying at. Putting bad food in Staub cookware is still bad food.
caliform likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:00 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
This hotel is suffering from being under Corporate's thumb and not having an advocate at the highest levels. The breakfast isn't what it was and is totally possible for a PH to have a poor breakfast. I've actually had some better French toasts at HPs than the B class PH I'm staying at. Putting bad food in Staub cookware is still bad food.
Yikes... has breakfast really gotten this bad at the PH? How are they justifying 800+ Euro nightly rates with reduction in service?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
At the risk of a pile-on, in the olden days Mrs. Pickles and I would route travel through Paris so we could have breakfast at the PHV. Spectacular pastries (first place I tried the Breton Kouign-amann), top-shelf preserves, high-quality fruit selection, organic eggs, and Mariage Freres tea, all served on quality flatware in that beautiful patio with the skylight. And the service was seriously polished. although it was free, I'd probably pay for it if I had to.

Haven't been back in a while, but it sounds like it is no more, and even pre-COVID it had been going downhill over time.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:32 am

Yikes... has breakfast really gotten this bad at the PH? How are they justifying 800+ Euro nightly rates with reduction in service?
Probably from reputation? However, for a few hundred Euro more I wouldn't hesitate just ditching any rewards preference and go elsewhere should I experience some of the failings that's been intimated on this thread recently. Or, just relegate them to the free night & points category--the not good enough for hard earned money department.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
This hotel is suffering from being under Corporate's thumb and not having an advocate at the highest levels <snip>
If what you are saying is true (and I'm not denying that) wouldn't this be applicable to other (all?) Park Hyatts? Aren't they all under the "Corporate thumb?"

Regards
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This hotel is suffering from being under Corporate's thumb and not having an advocate at the highest levels.
Originally Posted by scubadu
If what you are saying is true (and I'm not denying that) wouldn't this be applicable to other (all?) Park Hyatts? Aren't they all under the "Corporate thumb?"
Also not clear on that comment.

Recent stays at PHV and PHZ the breakfast was fully up to pre-covid standards. In fact I felt Vienna's was better than last stay pre-covid. Zurich the hotel was pretty empty but they were still maintaining standards.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:20 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
This hotel is suffering from being under Corporate's thumb and not having an advocate at the highest levels.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Here is a (relatively) recent list of corporate-owned properties ... Q1-2021-Owned-Leased-and-UJV-Property-List.pdf (q4cdn.com)

PH Paris and PH Zurich are on the list, PH Vienna is not. Only 6 out of 40+ PHs are under "Corporate's thumb" as I understand Aventine's meaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.