Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Hyatt Madeleine is opened as well (stayed there last week and will be back later in July)?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:08 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Reopening on 1 September according to the hotel web site ...
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by skj
Reopening on 1 September according to the hotel web site ...
Maybe they did some more remodeling
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Hyatt Madeleine is opened as well (stayed there last week and will be back later in July)?

For awards only , Is it a decent redemption?IRRC it’s not much less than the GHPV
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question for those who know the territory well. What would be more interesting for a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 kid age 6) or a family of 4 (2 kids age 6) - the Park Hyatt Vendome in Park King Suite or Hotel du Louvre in a Louvre Suite as a Globalist? Top considerations would be:

- Comfort for sleeping 3 (or 4!) including having two seperate rooms vs 1 big room
- Quality of breakfast

Debating doing 30k WOH points + Suite Upgrade certificate for Park Hyatt Vendome or paying roughly EUR350 + 9000 WOH for Hotel du Louvre Louvre Suite. This is for May 2021
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:18 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beofotch
Question for those who know the territory well. What would be more interesting for a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 kid age 6) or a family of 4 (2 kids age 6) - the Park Hyatt Vendome in Park King Suite or Hotel du Louvre in a Louvre Suite as a Globalist? Top considerations would be:

- Comfort for sleeping 3 (or 4!) including having two seperate rooms vs 1 big room
- Quality of breakfast

Debating doing 30k WOH points + Suite Upgrade certificate for Park Hyatt Vendome or paying roughly EUR350 + 9000 WOH for Hotel du Louvre Louvre Suite. This is for May 2021
Keep in mind the standard suite at the PH is not a true suite. It is a single larger room. I haven't stayed at the Hotel du Louvre but it sounds like the Louvre Suite is a true one bedroom suite.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:44 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

- Quality of breakfast

I was incredibly disappointed with the Park Hyatts expensive Room Service though it was beautifully presented.Mostly regarding their recipes & taste.
How do you mess up onion soup for example?Some chain restaurants do it ok even the Ruth Chris chain who does a very good one when on point
As a Globalist I was upgraded to a fantastic VIP suite .The breakfast is clearly( pre Pandemic) one of Hyatt's top 20 in the world even
though I would argue the pastry was betterwhen it fist opened yet still good! I was delighted with my stay and they took great care of me in almost all regards.
Highly recommended
The hotel has great management when I was there over a year ago.I can only imagine them doing even better
during these challenging times when more inventory may be open?
As for Hotel du Louvre I have no data points so hopefully others can chime in.As they say YMMV
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist

- Quality of breakfast

Room: I can only comment on PHV but the Park Suite King would not accommodate a family very well. I have also stayed in the Park Executive Suite which would be perfect for a family with small children. It's pretty much two full rooms (one with King bed, other with two sofas) separated by a door with 2 full bathrooms. I don't see premium suite points availability online but it may be worth a call to your concierge if you want to stay at this hotel.

Location: We love this location and walk to many sights around town from here. When we walk to the Louvre from the PHV, we always walk past the Hotel du Louvre which is only 10 minutes away so not a huge difference.

Breakfast: The PHV is one of our favorite hotels for breakfast in the Hyatt portfolio. The option for restaurant or room service is really nice and we normally opt for room service.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ronbo83; Jul 21, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I was incredibly disappointed with the Park Hyatts expensive Room Service though it was beautifully presented.Mostly regarding their recipes & taste.
How do you mess up onion soup for example?Some chain restaurants do it ok even the Ruth Chris chain who does a very good one when on point
As a Globalist I was upgraded to a fantastic VIP suite .The breakfast is clearly( pre Pandemic) one of Hyatt's top 20 in the world even
though I would argue the pastry was betterwhen it fist opened yet still good! I was delighted with my stay and they took great care of me in almost all regards.
Highly recommended
The hotel has great management when I was there over a year ago.I can only imagine them doing even better
during these challenging times when more inventory may be open?
As for Hotel du Louvre I have no data points so hopefully others can chime in.As they say YMMV
Note that French onion soup as done in France is very different from French onion soup in the USA, even in Michelin starred restaurants.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold

- Quality of breakfast

Know a little bit both hotels (10+ stays per year at PHV, 1 or 2 at Hotel du Louvre):

- Location? No idea it depends where you want to be but any way both hotels are very closed to each other (10 mins?)
- Comfort? Park Suite is not a suite (nor anything below Executive Suite) so I would personally avoid it with a child and definitely with 2 (not even sure sure it possible/allowed)
- Breakfast? PHV is top (room, service, savoury selection) but Louvre only marginally below and far above average (especially if whether permitting you can seat on the terrace facing le Comedie Francaise and Conseil d'Etat)

So personnaly I would try to book (with points as prices are ridiculous) a premium suite at PHV and if not possible go for Hotel du Louvre?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hotel du Louvre entry level suite, based on pictures on the website, has a separate sleeping area but is only 320 sq ft.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

- Quality of breakfast

Another consideration: PHV has European artwork throughout, including multiple nude statues in every room. Some parents might not feel comfortable about this for one or two six year old kids. Something similar would be the case for a number of hotels (especially in France and some other foreign countries), but American families might not expect it. While families do stay here, I don't think of it as an particularly kid friendly hotel overall, but again the same would be true of many hotels.

As others have said here, the standard Park "Suites" are just slightly larger regular hotel rooms with nice bathrooms, without even a partial wall or divider of any sort. One that I remember had a (nonworking I assume) fireplace and sitting area consisting of two chairs and a small table. There would have been no space for one kid to sleep, either on a small rollaway bed or on a (nonexistent) sofa. The Executive Suites that I've had have all been genuine one bedroom suites, but I don't recall the occupancy limits (which tend to be strictly enforced in France, with no possibility of sneaking in additional people of any age). Once I had a Residential Suite with a spacious living room that looked like it could have accommodated two small rollaway beds and had two bathrooms and two entrances to the corridor, with a small hallway and dressing room between the bedroom and parlor.

Unfortunately I've never stayed in other Paris Hyatts, so I can't compare beyond knowing locations in a general way.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I would go with Hotel du Louvre if occupancy is an issue and if PHV does not allow 2 adults plus 2 6-yo. I stayed at Hotel du Louvre once before renovations. I was upgraded to a large corner room (not a suite). We had a roll away bed for me and king bed for my daughter and 2 of her friends on Spring Break. No one at the hotel cared there were 4 adults in the room.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by CIT85
I would go with Hotel du Louvre if occupancy is an issue and if PHV does not allow 2 adults plus 2 6-yo. I stayed at Hotel du Louvre once before renovations. I was upgraded to a large corner room (not a suite). We had a roll away bed for me and king bed for my daughter and 2 of her friends on Spring Break. No one at the hotel cared there were 4 adults in the room.
Hotel du Louvre of course better chance of getting anything let alone better treatment!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CIT85
Thank you! Very helpful. I am leaning Louvre based on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.