Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:01 am

I visited in February 2018 and we were delighted to see some of the first snow to fall in the city (we were told) in a long time. Beautiful. As for this property, we stayed 2 nights on Hyatt certs and were underwhelmed. It is a very nice property, to be sure. But for the price point and in that neighborhood, there are better options. Our room was well-appointed but not overly impressive and we had an inner courtyard view that was disappointing (I think much of the rooms have inner views). This property just doesn't have any overwhelmingly cool features. No spectacular rooftop view. The lobby bar (i have a penchant for great hotel bars) is windowless and dull. There is a highly rated resaturant inside we did not try. Service was excellent throughout the stay but for that price point and reputation, i expect a really impressive building, view, someething. The location is excellent, i will say.

If you're paying cash I'd recommend going to the Ritz down the street. We went down to visit the famous Hemingway bar and the Ritz blows away the PH in my opinion.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ndno2
I visited in February 2018 and we were delighted to see some of the first snow to fall in the city (we were told) in a long time. Beautiful. As for this property, we stayed 2 nights on Hyatt certs and were underwhelmed. It is a very nice property, to be sure. But for the price point and in that neighborhood, there are better options. Our room was well-appointed but not overly impressive and we had an inner courtyard view that was disappointing (I think much of the rooms have inner views). This property just doesn't have any overwhelmingly cool features. No spectacular rooftop view. The lobby bar (i have a penchant for great hotel bars) is windowless and dull. There is a highly rated resaturant inside we did not try. Service was excellent throughout the stay but for that price point and reputation, i expect a really impressive building, view, someething. The location is excellent, i will say.

If you're paying cash I'd recommend going to the Ritz down the street. We went down to visit the famous Hemingway bar and the Ritz blows away the PH in my opinion.
PHV has seen it's day, the long over due refresh was underwhelming public area's basically un touched for years. The Ritz is the Ritz not sure if I would put them into the same category although there is an argument to do so. Personally The Marriott at the Opera is a wonderful place as is the Westin down the street. But then there are so many "Parisian" hotels to stay. There is a reason why they are giving out certificates.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hey All

I just returned from five nights at the Park Hyatt Place Vendome on points redemption as a Globalist.

I used a suite upgrade and confirmed into a Park Suite King.

I had asked for a larger suite if possible because I was traveling with a friend with cancer and I wanted a separate living room in case He needed to sleep after I woke up. I even used the cancer card but were only put into a Park Suite King. All the larger suites showed available as cash bookings all weekend.

The suite was lovely. One large room with a fireplace, couch, and half bath. The dressing area and bathroom was huge!

The breakfast is amazing but expensive. It was complimentary as a Globalist. You can pretty much get the buffet, a juice, and an entree.

We never received any type of welcome amenity or welcome note. I think it was because my friend was wiped from the trip and we left the Privacy light on for the first 24 hours. I think of this as a service slip up.

My friends mother joined us at day three on a guest of honor booking and they gave us an adjoining room. That was very nice.

She received some chocolates and two large bottles of water with a welcome note.

Service was great. We only really interacted with the staff at breakfast but they were amazing.

Some parts of the property are tired. The chairs in the entry way of the lobby are worn looking and we had large scratch on our door.

The location of the hotel is great. It close to all the fancy shopping, many of the sites, and is in a lovely neighborhood.

I definitely wouldn't spend €900 Euros a night.

As a Globalist with points, it's an excellent redemption option.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boulderflyer21

We never received any type of welcome amenity or welcome note. I think it was because my friend was wiped from the trip and we left the Privacy light on for the first 24 hours. I think of this as a service slip up.
This isn't a Globalist requirement anymore and totally discretionary on the property. I wouldn't consider this a service slip up.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
This isn't a Globalist requirement anymore and totally discretionary on the property. I wouldn't consider this a service slip up.
As a returning Glob guest here, I get a bottle of wine and some treats, usually delivered shortly after I arrive. Sometimes the staff member calls my room and asks when I would like the welcome amenity to be delivered if I have the DND sign on the door.

Most recently (July IIRC) it was red wine (full bodied Bordeaux blend, I don't remember the chateau) and breadsticks, but I've had Chablis and Champagne (on different stays) in the past.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
20th stay this year at PHV and probably around 50th in total and for the first time no upgrade despite all rooms and suites categories available (obviously already happened when hotel fully booked during fashion week, Roland Garros and so on).

Did the hotel changed its policy and no longer apply Globalist (and/or regular guest) upgrade to best available room including standard suite (have been upgraded to King, Deluxe, Executive, Diplomatic, Prestige and Ambassador in the past)?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
20th stay this year at PHV and probably around 50th in total and for the first time no upgrade despite all rooms and suites categories available (obviously already happened when hotel fully booked during fashion week, Roland Garros and so on).

Did the hotel changed its policy and no longer apply Globalist (and/or regular guest) upgrade to best available room including standard suite (have been upgraded to King, Deluxe, Executive, Diplomatic, Prestige and Ambassador in the past)?
With that many stays, I’d think you’d be the expert. What did they say when you asked?

I’d bet it was staff oversight but I’ve only been once this year. The hotel can’t change the policy, it’s a Hyatt policy covering most Hyatt brands, including Park Hyatt’s, they can just ignore it.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
With that many stays, I’d think you’d be the expert. What did they say when you asked?

I’d bet it was staff oversight but I’ve only been once this year. The hotel can’t change the policy, it’s a Hyatt policy covering most Hyatt brands, including Park Hyatt’s, they can just ignore it.
Not so sure it's a front desk "oversight" your status is in plain view to them on checkin prompts unless they just don't know their job no excuse at a 5 star "Palace". Another thought is back office is not ensuring that Hyatt members are treated accordingly. The downward march goes on at PHV.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably time to change to a hotel that will treat you better. With 20 stays, I'd expect more than deluxe room.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Probably time to change to a hotel that will treat you better. With 20 stays, I'd expect more than deluxe room.
I did a couple of years ago and happy for it. One issue with constantly staying at the same hotel for any number of times in a year like flying on an airline there are going to be good stays and not so good stays. Having said that the PHV has been in a slow downward spiral for quite sometime now. Claudio whom we all thought would bring the hotel back I think has been hampered by ownership in dollars going out versus dollars coming in. It's just not the same so I agree move on. We did
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Checking space in mid- to late- Jan...no awards...would think that is low season in Paris
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Checking space in mid- to late- Jan...no awards...would think that is low season in Paris
Meanwhile, I just grabbed 3 days + TSU on a July weekend.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Did you ask? And was the "loyalty manager" (I forget the woman's name and title) not visibly present around the front desk to greet you when you arrived and more generally during your stay?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Good points!

I had a long interesting discussion/drinks with Claudio (GM).

Coincidentally the previous guest in my attributed upgraded room left late (4pm check out) and smoked inside so they had to reallocate me at the last minute to the only room available on the same floor and forget to let it know to room service who delivered the usual welcome amenities to the wrong room...

More interesting general comment: they have on average 20+ Globalist every night and only 44 suites (including the super exclusive Imperiale, Presidential, Vendome, Residence, Ambassador or Diplomatic ones) some of which obviously booked cash, points or cash plus upgrade with TSU or points.
So obviously Globalists (including regular guests) can't expect 100% suite upgrade...:-(
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good points!

I had a long interesting discussion/drinks with Claudio (GM).

Coincidentally the previous guest in my attributed upgraded room left late (4pm check out) and smoked inside so they had to reallocate me at the last minute to the only room available on the same floor and forget to let it know to room service who delivered the usual welcome amenities to the wrong room...

More interesting general comment: they have on average 20+ Globalist every night and only 44 suites (including the super exclusive Imperiale, Presidential, Vendome, Residence, Ambassador or Diplomatic ones) some of which obviously booked cash, points or cash plus upgrade with TSU or points.
So obviously Globalists (including regular guests) can't expect 100% suite upgrade...:-(
I'm sure your 20 nights Globalist is worth more to them the passerby Globalist. At least Claudio communicated with you. Some GMs just don't care.
Visconti and PETERPNYC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.