Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old May 13, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by edgewood49
posted is similar to the US it's the highest rate they can charge. Ask at checkin this place has changed somewhat over the past few years
I'm aware, but I do also suspect that the differences between the room rates stay static, regardless of whatever the base rate is.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm aware, but I do also suspect that the differences between the room rates stay static, regardless of whatever the base rate is.
for legal reasons like in the US "posted" are ( max rate) if you walk in and occupancy is low to moderate your gold, high dead meat
Old May 13, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by aqwayne

thank you for the update SMK! The issue is I'm not a globalist, so I'm trying to see what's the best possible room I can get for 48K points a night + cash... I want to treat parents out but realize the regular 30K room redemptions is pretty abstmally small, so I'm trying to weight my options here
You can redeem for a suite (three night minimum, 45,000 points each night). Hyatt is currently selling points at 1.7 Cents and you can combine points in different accounts. 765 USD for a suite vs 505 USD for a standard room. Otherwise consider a different Hyatt property - Paris has a couple to choose from.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:55 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CIT85
I just completed a 4 nights stay, 3 nights on points and 4th night on the new Globalist free night. I was able to use TSU for the 3 nights on points, and paid 360 euro supplement for the 4th night.
Is this the standard upgrade fee on award and c+p? Can't seem to find room types and upgrade costs in the wiki. Is it generally the RACK difference?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Is this the standard upgrade fee on award and c+p? Can't seem to find room types and upgrade costs in the wiki. Is it generally the RACK difference?
This seems to be the standard upgrade fee. At the time, it was the difference in room rate from standard room to Park Suite King.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:00 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This seems to be the standard upgrade fee. At the time, it was the difference in room rate from standard room to Park Suite King.
Thanks. Booked so far in advance in 2019, I would rather wait for new rates to be published than the RACK difference.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:06 pm

Thanks. Booked so far in advance in 2019, I would rather wait for new rates to be published than the RACK difference.
I would wait until close to arrival date before contacting the hotel about upgrade. If the paid rates are more reasonable, then the upgrade fee may be more reasonable as well.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

I would wait until close to arrival date before contacting the hotel about upgrade. If the paid rates are more reasonable, then the upgrade fee may be more reasonable as well.
That's precisely my strategy. Logged into concierge to see the price of a limo from CDG as they don't publish it on their website. Far more than the standard PH mark-up at 306 Euros. The Meet & Assist is an additional 150 Euros.

SixT offers an E Class for 106 Euros one way.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:45 pm

That's precisely my strategy. Logged into concierge to see the price of a limo from CDG as they don't publish it on their website. Far more than the standard PH mark-up at 306 Euros. The Meet & Assist is an additional 150 Euros.

SixT offers an E Class for 106 Euros one way.
I usually just get a taxi, especially since they went to flat rate of 50 euros to the city and 55 or 60 euros if south of the Seine. But, the Hostess service does sound very nice.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
Hi all, we've got a one-night award booking for next weekend, which we were really looking forward to, until we woke up to the news that the protests in Paris intensified last night, and there was quite a lot of activity on Place Vendome. We're trying to decide whether to reschedule the booking, or if that's overreacting. Not worried about personal security, necessarily, as much as awareness that they might be instituting law and order that means lots of things are shut/disrupted, which might make a visit feel like a chore.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by lettezilla
Hi all, we've got a one-night award booking for next weekend, which we were really looking forward to, until we woke up to the news that the protests in Paris intensified last night, and there was quite a lot of activity on Place Vendome. We're trying to decide whether to reschedule the booking, or if that's overreacting. Not worried about personal security, necessarily, as much as awareness that they might be instituting law and order that means lots of things are shut/disrupted, which might make a visit feel like a chore.
I wouldn’t worry about it, I expect things to be sorted until then. One week is a long time.

You might email the property and ask for advice, the team has access to most up to date information.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by scented

I wouldn’t worry about it, I expect things to be sorted until then. One week is a long time.

You might email the property and ask for advice, the team has access to most up to date information.

I am not so sure now after yesterday's riots these are some pissed off people that coupled with extremist is making this toxic personally I would try somewhere else. Paris is not what it use to be
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Interesting. Have been reading E Wharton's The Customs of the Country, some of whose Paris scenes are set a century ago r de la Paix, Vendome; and just last night I had remarked to my wife that what struck me most, in reading the descriptions, is how much Paris remains what it has always been.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lettezilla
I think I would reschedule if possible.
SPLP007 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I am not so sure now after yesterday's riots these are some pissed off people that coupled with extremist is making this toxic personally I would try somewhere else. Paris is not what it use to be
I dunno, to me this is exactly what makes Paris such a great place. The presence of protests, riots and pissed off people in portions of Paris is certainly nothing new or unusual.

Having said that, if you want to avoid social-discord entirely (as a tourist) then Zurich is the place you want to be.
Biggie Fries and Expat_flyer1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.