Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 8:46 am

So WOH is telling me that it's not possible to use free nights (as opposed to points nights) on a particular stay we're looking at here because the hotel will only allow a four night stay and free nights must be booked individually (even though we want to stay for four nights). Is that standard?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:30 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by trouble747
So WOH is telling me that it's not possible to use free nights (as opposed to points nights) on a particular stay we're looking at here because the hotel will only allow a four night stay and free nights must be booked individually (even though we want to stay for four nights). Is that standard?
H.U.C.A. (Hang Up Call Again) ... get an agent who wants to find ways to make it happen, rather than find ways to stop it from happening.
trouble747 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you have the points, book the for nights on points and then swap one of the nights.
trouble747 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
It's called "revenue" and that is a sad part of WOH and the changes at PHV
Old May 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
If you have the points, book the for nights on points and then swap one of the nights.
Impossible, says Hyatt.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I got a decent suite with two full bathrooms for 60 E PD well worth it
60 E PD? What does that stand for, sorry I'm new to this
Old May 11, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77
Some updates on room types: PHV is now selling the Diplomat Suite as a 1 bedroom suite (used to be 2 bedrooms) at a lower rate. The newly added Prestige Suite is very similar to the Diplomat Suite (you have a larger living room with two sofas) but this suite is facing Rue de la Paix instead of the courtyard (which I like better).

OMAT reviewed the Prestige Suite recently and I have stayed in one during my last stay as well: https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-paris-review/

If you are a Globalist, they usually entertain upgrades to higher suites by paying the rack rate difference: you could book a standard room using points, use a suite upgrade voucher to secure a entry level suite and then pay to guarantee a higher level suite.
thank you for the update SMK! The issue is I'm not a globalist, so I'm trying to see what's the best possible room I can get for 48K points a night + cash... I want to treat parents out but realize the regular 30K room redemptions is pretty abstmally small, so I'm trying to weight my options here
Old May 12, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by aqwayne

60 E PD? What does that stand for, sorry I'm new to this
Sorry didn't use the proper euro sign.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:39 am

Sorry didn't use the proper euro sign.
no worries, thank you for sharing your experience. So that was 30K points plus 60 euros or 48K?
Old May 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Impossible, says Hyatt.
did you try it? I’ve done it. (Or rather my ambassador did last year for a stay this year at another hotel)
Old May 12, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by aqwayne

no worries, thank you for sharing your experience. So that was 30K points plus 60 euros or 48K?
yes it was and offered to me without asking. Sometimes you can get these it all depends on occupancy just try never to stay during a holiday or other events. I once stayed during the Victoria Secrets event got a closet
Old May 12, 2018, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
It's called "revenue" and that is a sad part of WOH and the changes at PHV
book 4 rev nights in queen and have agent swap to cert and awards.

Was able to do this plus confirm exec suite with TSU earlier this year.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by footastic

book 4 rev nights in queen and have agent swap to cert and awards.

Was able to do this plus confirm exec suite with TSU earlier this year.
Good job. Sometimes it really works and others it sucks at PHV
Old May 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks! Any idea of what the surcharge might be from entry level suite (which I think is the jr suite room in the attic with dormer windows) to the real one bedroom suite?
Just stayed here (in one of the jr suite rooms on a DSU) and the rate sheet posted by the entrance suggested it was 150 EUR to the next level.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Just stayed here (in one of the jr suite rooms on a DSU) and the rate sheet posted by the entrance suggested it was 150 EUR to the next level.
posted is similar to the US it's the highest rate they can charge. Ask at checkin this place has changed somewhat over the past few years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.