FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

laxsnaogg Aug 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 17028349)
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

I don't think it hurts to inquire. The woman who checked me in had only been there about a week (although she was very well versed about Diamond benefits, etc). It's possible that there might be other staff that are new as well.

For what its worth, I was there last week on a 4 night award stay. My suite was ready at 10:30am; and a box of chocolates was already in the room when we arrived. On the second day, they sent a bottle of champagne and a tray of macaroons; along with a hand written note from the manager.

Firewind Sep 1, 2011 11:03 am

It's not up to the front desk person. It's supposed to be set up earlier in the day. Which can be confounded by a room change at scrimmage. In which case, there's a race between you and room service to get to your room. Sometimes (seldom and not just here) they don't get off of the scrimmage line without a nudge, particularly if room service is slammed. In which case, add the tip, unless you go on walkabout right about then.

ainternational Sep 1, 2011 12:13 pm

During one of my stays at the property, the Diamond amenity was absent, so I made a quick call to the front desk and they said it would promptly be there and apologized.

Literally, about 2 minutes later, wait staff came to the room with a bottle of wine and two red wine glasses. Thinking that was the fastest service I've ever seen, I politely thanked the gentlemen and thought little more about it.

Until 10 minutes later when the knock at the door revealed yet another (different) staff member toting another bottle of wine and two glasses. I was caught off guard as he came in and placed it down adjacent to the first. He flinched a bit at seeing the existing one, said nothing, and left the room.

In short order, I realized that the first delivery was intended to be the actual pre-planned Diamond amenity, and evidently when I called to request the "missing amenity", they didn't realize one was en route and had another sent up.

I left the second bottle of wine in the room upon departure. It was a short stay and I don't fancy drinking alone in my room.

VFF1000000 Sep 5, 2011 4:59 pm

booked two rooms, two nights this past week (trip report)

Used points for both nights. One room was upgraded to large suite, both rooms on sixth floor. This was a lovely hotel with much character, windows that opened, attentive service and great location. The spa was rather small and co-ed. Prices for beverages in the bar on high end (27Euro). Concierge was helpful. As a DM, had no problem with the free breakfast (many meat/cheese/cereal/pastry selections). I'd stay here again, the value for the points vs room cost was a good use of accumulated pts. Bought day pass to the Louve from Concierge, saved us considerable time, we didnt need to wait in line. DM amenity wasnt delivered, need to remind to deliver to room.

krazieman Sep 5, 2011 8:26 pm

Probably about 5 mins after my post, someone showed up with the diamond amenity. This may have been due partly to the fact that my room wasn't available until almost 4pm.

Also, I agree that the bar prices were definitely high. No drinks under 25 Euros.

Other than that, great stay, excellent location. The closet/bathroom in the jr. suite was huge. I still think the PH Shanghai has a much better breakfast though.

Stewie Mac Sep 15, 2011 10:06 am

another excellent stay at the PHV. I still prefer the PH Ist due to its more intimate/boutique feel, but PHV is a great hotel. Had dinner in Pur' this time, excellent food and service - really terrific Wagyu steak. :D

and answer to secret question: not easy, but with some imagination works pretty well ;)

Firewind Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 17114371)
and answer to secret question: not easy, but with some imagination works pretty well ;)

Smells like Blaise Mautin. :D

Cubswin Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

I am going to use 4 Chase Hyatt award nights at PHV. I am brand new to Hyatt and although I have done a ton of reading I would still like to clarify these last couple questions, please:

1.. It looks like I will be in a Park Queen or Park Twin for my Chase Hyatt nights, correct (I am a Platinum by way of the card too, obviously)?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade on an award stay (I do this quite often at Hilton) or any other way to get to a higher level room?

3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Any other thoughts and advice for a newb doing an award stay here would be appreciated!

peteropny Sep 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117546)
I am going to use 4 Chase Hyatt award nights at PHV. I am brand new to Hyatt and although I have done a ton of reading I would still like to clarify these last couple questions, please:

1.. It looks like I will be in a Park Queen or Park Twin for my Chase Hyatt nights, correct (I am a Platinum by way of the card too, obviously)?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade on an award stay (I do this quite often at Hilton) or any other way to get to a higher level room?

3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Any other thoughts and advice for a newb doing an award stay here would be appreciated!

1. Correct

2. Contact the property after you make the reservation and / or at check-in.

3. Nope - there is no credit for spend that would work towards status (other than getting Platinum for getting the card).

Thunderroad Sep 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 16966498)
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16968070)
I've stayed at this hotel, unknowingly, during the French Open -- I only realized it when I saw Tsonga checking out the day after he lost -- and it seemed to me that the suites weren't all taken, if for no other reason than I got one. So I'd say you have a chance.

A very belated thanks for the information, folks.

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 16985993)
How does one get 'Upgrades ahead of time"?

Well, there is the Diamond certificate. But in my post which you quoted, I simply meant shelling out more points for a better room. Others who know the program better can comment more.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, Cubswin, but are you saying that one can get Diamond status by spending $22K? AFAIK, that's not correct. Or am I missing something?

stevens397 Sep 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Not sure where you got this but if spending $22K on the Hyatt Visa got you Diamond, there would be one whole hell of a lot of Diamonds! I only wish it were true.

What made you think this? Never heard anything like this before.

BTW, we're going for 5 nights in December with the Hyatt Certificates my wife and I got from the Capitol One card. Using a Diamond Suite upgrade and can't wait to go back to this wonderful hotel.

Cubswin Sep 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Sorry guys, I am reading literally hundreds of pages about Hyatt, Continental, Paris, Rome, Park Hyatt Vendome, Rome Cavalieri, etc etc etc and I thought that I read that somewhere.

I am VERY VERY likely mistaken and I apologize for any confusion!

Thanks for you answers!

Cubswin Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm

If anyone has a contact at the hotel to discuss thee possibility of a paid upgrade I would be grateful for a PM, thanks!

I am aware that I can contact reservations but if anyone has someone they have had good luck with in the past I would prefer that if possible.

SMK77 Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117780)
If anyone has a contact at the hotel to discuss thee possibility of a paid upgrade I would be grateful for a PM, thanks!

I am aware that I can contact reservations but if anyone has someone they have had good luck with in the past I would prefer that if possible.

No PM needed. Just call them. They charge the differential for the rooms based on the Hyatt Daily Rate. Easy as that.

stevens397 Sep 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Anyone know if a Diamond using a Diamond Suite upgrade - that usually gets a Park King Suite - ever gets upgraded to an Executive Suite?

We are booked with AMEX (using Capital One Hyatt certificates) with a Suite upgrade. I really don't like using AMEX Centurion Travel - yes, they have perks but the agents always know less than I do about where we are going and what we are doing - basically, they take orders.

Spoke to a Virtuoso agent and she contacted the hotel. They are prepared to sell me the Executive suite for 795 Euro per night rather than the 990 on the website. Also offered fourth night free with three paid nights - trip is five nights so it would be one free night. Stayed there once and it was pretty special. The other Virtuoso perks don't mean much as I get most stuff as a Diamond.

Thanks.