Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
True enough. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get two ice cubes in my glass!

We met a friend who works in Paris for lunch on one of the hot days. I asked her if her office had A/C. She said, "Yes, but French A/C!" No explanation necessary.

While I don't need "freeze your but off A/C," in a luxury hotel, you shouldn't break out in a sweat when you move or have to have to lie on the bed in your underwear to be comfortable.
hahah Morning funnies but they're true.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by eltex
Hmmm, just curious, what else would you wear when lying in your bed? You are starting to make me feel a bit ashamed...
My jammies!

No, the point was that you shouldn't have to strip down to avoid sweating while in your 5* hotel room. @:-)

I had no idea that the idea of having decent A/C while in a luxury hotel should promote so much discussion. I expect Peter to come along at any moment and start scolding.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My jammies!

No, the point was that you shouldn't have to strip down to avoid sweating while in your 5* hotel room. @:-)

I had no idea that the idea of having decent A/C while in a luxury hotel should promote so much discussion. I expect Peter to come along at any moment and start scolding.
I think decent to excellent AC should be part of any luxury hotel regardless of age, building or country. I'm leaving if I have to call for a room fan or sleep in undies.

edit: I think by the time a fan was required, this would mean I exhausted all options including moving rooms, etc and that would be the last resort offered by the hotel.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:41 pm Reason: added some more rationale
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
...or sleep in undies.
This is not helping me get that image out of my mind.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:52 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

And here I am, joking a bit is fine but please minimize it in lengthy review threads as it only makes them even lengthier.

Peter
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:22 pm

Decisions Decisions!
I will be staying here for 5 nights in August.
Staying on Cash+Points with DSU. It will cost me roughly $1,500.00+ taxes out of pocket for the stay.
My question is:
Is it really worth it to use the DSU for the Park Suite King for $1,500.00+ extra (cash+points for me = $2,025.00+)
Or should I change it to full points stay $525 worth in 75,000 points (pure point stay for me = $1,050.00)

Bottom line.
I'm Diamond and may or may not get an upgraded room.
Is the Park Suite King worth extra $195.00+ per night?

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Outbreak187
Decisions Decisions!
Staying on Cash+Points with DSU. It will cost me roughly $1,500.00+ taxes out of pocket for the stay.
My question is:
Is it really worth it to use the DSU for the Park Suite King for $1,500.00+ extra (cash+points for me = $2,025.00+)
Or should I change it to full points stay $525 worth in 75,000 points (pure point stay for me = $1,050.00)

Bottom line.

Thanks
I am not following, are you referring to your valuation of GP points with these numbers?

It is worth paying a premium for the park suite, but only you can decide how much it is worth to you.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am not following, are you referring to your valuation of GP points with these numbers?

It is worth paying a premium for the park suite, but only you can decide how much it is worth to you.
Yes, he seems to be valuing the pts at 1.4¢/pt. I always do the same type of calculations, but I value my pts at 1.7¢/pt, which is what they cost to purchase on a 40% bonus promo.

However, he seems to be missing 3 things in his calculations:

1. P&C rate will earn stay/night credits (if they don't matter to you, then that is a moot point).

2. You will earn pts on the cash portion of the P&C, which will affect the value calculation.

3. There are no additional taxes on a P&C rate at PHV, since the VAT is included in the rate. That eliminates the "+" in the calculation. It does appear that they are now charging the Paris City Tax on all stays, all-cash, P&C, and all-points.

So that brings down the difference somewhat, but as Mike says, only you can say how much the extra space is worth to you. For us, we always have in-room breakfast, and often have in-room dinner, so the extra space was very valuable. If your sure you are going to be out all day and mostly just sleeping in the room, you might value it differently, but I think most people who have stayed here would say going with the P&C+DSU is by far the best choice.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:29 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Outbreak187
Decisions Decisions!
My question is:

Bottom line.

Thanks
If you don't need the stay credit, I would just do a points booking. IMO the "suites" used for DSU at this property are a waste of a DSU. All you get is a larger room (not 2 rooms).

I stayed here over New Year's, paid over 900 EU/night for a few nights, plus a DSU, and the suite was crap compared to what you get for a DSU at other Park Hyatts (DC, Dubai, Vienna!!!). I spoke to the mgmt. about it and they don't care because they make lots of money regardless.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Suggestions for transportation from Paris Gare Du Nord train station (coming in from London) to the Park Hyatt?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cop35758
Suggestions for transportation from Paris Gare Du Nord train station (coming in from London) to the Park Hyatt?
Probably taxi, unless you're comfortable with the RER/Metro, don't mind a switch in trains, don't have much luggage and don't mind walking a few blocks.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
We'll have two large suitcases in tow. Sounds like a taxi would be easier and less stressful considering it's a honeymoon.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Taxi. Quick, painless, and inexpensive. I have read that there is sometimes a queue , but we did not experience that mid-afternoon on 2 occasions.

Note: Book seats well toward the front of the train, or it is a very long walk on the platform (which might account for the queue that others have experienced).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'll have two large suitcases in tow. Sounds like a taxi would be easier and less stressful considering it's a honeymoon.
Or Uber for black car service since it's a honeymoon!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:02 am

My experience with Paris cab drivers and Paris traffic on this route, I would definitely use Uber. Took less time and about the same cost for Uber black as for Paris cab, and the Uber driver was a lot nicer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.