Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
It's their job. They're doing a great job getting you in but you shouldn't feel obliged to tip them. Maybe tell senior management in an email or comment card so they can be commended.
Depends. Yes, it's their job to make reservations, but I think the rule of thumb - my rule of thumb is:

NO tip needed for simple reservations or directions

$20 and up for securing seats at a sold-out event or other exceptional service
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:48 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Disappointing stay (Diamond 3 nights points plus paid upgrade to a 3rd person allowed reg room) Just completed a stay with my kids (teenagers) not my first stay here. This was by far the worst stay of our trip (Rome (Westin) , Florence (Westin), Venice (Hilton) in terms of expectations, room size/quality, Service.

Well this could have simply been a one off bad trip, things appear to have gone downhill here regarding attention to detail, common sense room amenities and wear/conditions of rooms.

After paying an extra $100/night for the third person in the room I expected to get these "extras" daily 3 towels, 3 face clothes, 3 shampoos etc, though on a daily basis had to call down for these items as only 2 delivered. Confirmed with FD that 3 people are registered for the room so really no excuse for this after the first call. Also not pleased to get in the shower only to find no shower gels on second night.

Room Service Breakfast well elaborate did not meet previous experience here.
Hot chocolate and coffee was warm at best. Missing the third cup though ordered breakfast for three, no ketchup for kids scrambled eggs though ordered and read back by RS order taker. A plus of course is breakfast is for 3 with $50/person credit.

Tried the restaurant buffet and again silly things like the side dishes arriving after the poached eggs were finished being eaten, no refill of OJ though asked for.

Room, much smaller than previous stays here. Hyatt website showed larger rooms avail at Checkin for stay duration (non suite) but didn't bother pressing issue.
Room carpets worn and stained, room blinds torn with support Rod sticking out.

Would I stay here again, yes but it wouldn't be my first choice anymore for Paris.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:44 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Update, Hotel's Guest services reached out as we were leaving and offered to waive the extra person charge which was satisfactory for me though issues should have been resolved much earlier imho.
YMMV
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Disappointing stay (Diamond 3 nights points plus paid upgrade to a 3rd person allowed reg room) Just completed a stay with my kids (teenagers) not my first stay here. This was by far the worst stay of our trip (Rome (Westin) , Florence (Westin), Venice (Hilton) in terms of expectations, room size/quality, Service.

Well this could have simply been a one off bad trip, things appear to have gone downhill here regarding attention to detail, common sense room amenities and wear/conditions of rooms.

After paying an extra $100/night for the third person in the room I expected to get these "extras" daily 3 towels, 3 face clothes, 3 shampoos etc, though on a daily basis had to call down for these items as only 2 delivered. Confirmed with FD that 3 people are registered for the room so really no excuse for this after the first call. Also not pleased to get in the shower only to find no shower gels on second night.

Room Service Breakfast well elaborate did not meet previous experience here.
Hot chocolate and coffee was warm at best. Missing the third cup though ordered breakfast for three, no ketchup for kids scrambled eggs though ordered and read back by RS order taker. A plus of course is breakfast is for 3 with $50/person credit.

Tried the restaurant buffet and again silly things like the side dishes arriving after the poached eggs were finished being eaten, no refill of OJ though asked for.

Room, much smaller than previous stays here. Hyatt website showed larger rooms avail at Checkin for stay duration (non suite) but didn't bother pressing issue.

Would I stay here again, yes but it wouldn't be my first choice anymore for Paris.
I too was there from Sunday last week and other than the building of the Ginger Bread House and some construction noise outside had a great time. Guest services reached out to us about the noise which was good, breakfast was for us good as usual. But sorry to hear about your experience. Like you we are there once 12 to 18 months.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:30 am

Disappointing stay .

That`s what I saw-holes in upholstery-at least a quoter in size. The property is in desperate need for upgrade of it`s rooms.

What would be your choices in Paris using points?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Kat007
That`s what I saw-holes in upholstery-at least a quoter in size. The property is in desperate need for upgrade of it`s rooms.

What would be your choices in Paris using points?
Granted the rooms do need a make over and hopefully that will be done. There are several other Hyatt properties to chose from all very nice
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

Just finished a stay there a couple weeks ago and planning a trip to Paris next year: for the cash paying guests, would you choose this hotel over others in the area? I know this is still cheaper than FS George V/Plaza Athenee/Le Bristol by a considerable amount, but is it worth paying a little less if you're getting a lot less in return?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Heck I had two martini's last night at the bar that was $75 !!! Thankfully I am Diamond. Lots of noise now back of hotel and the Ginger Bread House in center, no sleep during the day
The noise was so bad on our last stay that TH went downstairs at 1 am to tell the front desk and La Chiminee to get their guests who were out in the courtyard to pipe the heck down.

The Guest Relations Manager told us that he would make sure we had a quieter room for our stay next week. We won't take a room on the other courtyard as the smell of the exhaust vents is so awful.

We've stayed at least once or twice a year since the hotel opened and the noise from the terrasse is getting increasingly more annoying.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
The noise was so bad on our last stay that TH went downstairs at 1 am to tell the front desk and La Chiminee to get their guests who were out in the courtyard to pipe the heck down.

The Guest Relations Manager told us that he would make sure we had a quieter room for our stay next week. We won't take a room on the other courtyard as the smell of the exhaust vents is so awful.

We've stayed at least once or twice a year since the hotel opened and the noise from the terrasse is getting increasingly more annoying.
the noise this year was we were lucky enough to check in the day they began to build the Ginger Bread House ! Last year we came the week after. Guest services was great about it offer to move us to another suite but in the end we just stayed in the suite they gave us and drank more wine!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
After paying an extra $100/night for the third person in the room I expected to get these "extras" daily 3 towels, 3 face clothes, 3 shampoos etc, .
I certainly understand the 3 sets of towels since hotels rarely get that right. I just don't understand the expectation for 3 shampoos, etc. Something I have never seen.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We are staying in two rooms next May at the PHV. I'm a Diamond and am using a DSU so will be in a suite with my SO. In-laws will also be staying at property, although in a standard room. We are staying for a week.

So a couple of questions for those who are familiar with the property:

Are there any places in the hotel where a suite connects to a standard room so that we could be adjacent?

Not to be fussy, but would prefer exterior rooms (not courtyard). Does that change the answer to my first question?

Lastly, while I love the in-laws, I don't really want to accidentally downgrade my experience by asking for this sort of arrangement. Are all Park Suites the same at PHV, or is the size/layout highly dependent on floor and location on floor? In other words, by asking for a connecting room, will suite be "worse"?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
We are staying in two rooms next May at the PHV. I'm a Diamond and am using a DSU so will be in a suite with my SO. In-laws will also be staying at property, although in a standard room. We are staying for a week.

So a couple of questions for those who are familiar with the property:

Are there any places in the hotel where a suite connects to a standard room so that we could be adjacent?

Not to be fussy, but would prefer exterior rooms (not courtyard). Does that change the answer to my first question?

Lastly, while I love the in-laws, I don't really want to accidentally downgrade my experience by asking for this sort of arrangement. Are all Park Suites the same at PHV, or is the size/layout highly dependent on floor and location on floor? In other words, by asking for a connecting room, will suite be "worse"?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I can't answer to the connecting room question. I know from other posters and from photos I've seen of rooms that there are some connecting rooms, but not sure if any connect to a suite.

However, unless a connecting room is your top priority, and you say it is not, I would not recommend requesting that. As a Diamond using a DSU there is a moderately good chance that you will be upgraded from the Park Suite to an Executive Suite, especially if your email the hotel and ask for a suite on the Rue de la Paix side. If you request a connecting room and such a thing is available, it would severely limit your chances of further upgrade.

Of course, there is no guarantee that you will get the further upgrade (unless you request it in advance and pay the difference above the Park Suite), but if you did, I'm sure you would rather have that than the Park Suite, especially if your in-laws (or anyone else for that matter) are with you. The separate living area make a pretty big difference.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I can't answer to the connecting room question. I know from other posters and from photos I've seen of rooms that there are some connecting rooms, but not sure if any connect to a suite.

However, unless a connecting room is your top priority, and you say it is not, I would not recommend requesting that. As a Diamond using a DSU there is a moderately good chance that you will be upgraded from the Park Suite to an Executive Suite, especially if your email the hotel and ask for a suite on the Rue de la Paix side. If you request a connecting room and such a thing is available, it would severely limit your chances of further upgrade.

Of course, there is no guarantee that you will get the further upgrade (unless you request it in advance and pay the difference above the Park Suite), but if you did, I'm sure you would rather have that than the Park Suite, especially if your in-laws (or anyone else for that matter) are with you. The separate living area make a pretty big difference.
Agree the more you "muddy" the waters the less chance you will get. Take your upgrade then politely ask at check in. The less demanding one is there the better. Diamond Paul is the guest service manager he's great
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Don't underestimate the experience of a courtyard room. I was upgraded last visit here and they gave us a really, really solid balcony looking in towards the courtyard. Yea, you're looking down onto a dining area, but the ability to sit outside - that I wouldn't have traded.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I was about ready to book 3 nights in June at the Vendome using points (transferred from Ultimate Rewards) but since reading the bad reviews I'm thinking I might book the du Louvre instead for 10k fewer points per night. Since I don't have status with Hyatt, maybe it would be a better choice anyway. Thoughts? (I've read reviews of each hotel but I haven't read any comparisons between the two.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.