Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Fair enough. Let's just say be sure to check the price first. It's not around the corner.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
EuropeanPete may have meant 6 euros for a ride over to the RER C at Musee Dorsay [ ... ?]

For the benefit of anyone not familiar with the geography of Paris and its environs, you do not want to take a cab or an Uber to Versailles unless you have the kind of money that, well, that would seem to insulate one from the need to read Flyer Talk.
Sorry, I was talking about the Musee Dorsay.

I'm also not sure it would be *all that* expensive to Versailles - it's only €35 by UberPop all the way to Charles De Gaulle which is about 25km. I am sure some people on Flyertalk could afford that and not pay an assistant to read the forums
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Front Desk.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
I second the notion. It is a great hotel and it is much calmer to fully unpack and stay in one place in a city.
Not always the case. I changed Vendome for Le Grand and was very happy with the decision. It`s a short 350 m walk from one to another, but rooms are much, much nicer at Le Grand (well, if they had changed toiletries brand and went for a more luxurious one and if they had a contemporary coffee machine, Le Grand would be a totally 5* hotel).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kat007
Not always the case. I changed Vendome for Le Grand and was very happy with the decision. It`s a short 350 m walk from one to another, but rooms are much, much nicer at Le Grand (well, if they had changed toiletries brand and went for a more luxurious one and if they had a contemporary coffee machine, Le Grand would be a totally 5* hotel).
thats interesting I had just the reverse experience. At that time was a PLT with ICH as well and was treated far better at the PHV then the Grand.

Now in all fairness the rooms at the PHV are getting very tired and in need of a refresh, fairly soon.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by edgewood49
thats interesting I had just the reverse experience. At that time was a PLT with ICH as well and was treated far better at the PHV then the Grand.

Now in all fairness the rooms at the PHV are getting very tired and in need of a refresh, fairly soon.
Both times I stayed at the IC le Grand, I was Plat with ICH as well and received an absolutely fabulous service and X-category upgrades (3- and 5-). Needless to say, I was very pleased.

I've never been really displeased with the PHV apart from once when they charged 120 EUR for in-room breakfast and there was a ridiculously small amount of danish pastries. The Front Desk can also be disappointing at times.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Both times I stayed at the IC le Grand, I was Plat with ICH as well and received an absolutely fabulous service and X-category upgrades (3- and 5-). Needless to say, I was very pleased.

I've never been really displeased with the PHV apart from once when they charged 120 EUR for in-room breakfast and there was a ridiculously small amount of danish pastries. The Front Desk can also be disappointing at times.
In all fairness the last time I stayed at the Grand was before they changed their benefits for US PLT's All I got was a 20 minute wifi card, nothing other than an "upgrade" room on the second floor over looking the HVAC!!!!

With equal status at that time with Hyatt got wifi, great room and breakfast to boot ! I had had the same issue in Milan at the CP no internet or essentially any benefits for US based PLT
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49

ICH Platinum doesn`t get us breakfast, unfortunately, but Le Grand screwed up a bit in the beginning (although I got an upgraded room initially), so Mario did his best to make me happy.

Rooms are so much more cheerful than at Vendome; at Vendome I felt depressed when in my room (very nice common areas though). Vendome is overdue for renovation of it`s rooms.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

I like very much the PHV rooms and didn't feel they were that much worn out. I also prefer this style to the very classic furniture of the Bristol, Meurice, Plaza, Ritz and Crillon.
I haven't heard of any renovation plan at the PHV, is there any?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.4; en-us; Nexus 5 Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/537.16)

First time here right now and I do like the decor as well. It's not as stuffy as I had expected. However, we got a room right next to the construction next door and that has been disrupting. They seem to keep heavy noise down until 10 am but they are still banging around starting around 830 or 9.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tys90
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.4; en-us; Nexus 5 Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/537.16)

First time here right now and I do like the decor as well. It's not as stuffy as I had expected. However, we got a room right next to the construction next door and that has been disrupting. They seem to keep heavy noise down until 10 am but they are still banging around starting around 830 or 9.
You need to talk to someone at the front desk!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For the benefit of anyone not familiar with the geography of Paris and its environs, you do not want to take a cab or an Uber to Versailles unless you have the kind of money that, well, that would seem to insulate one from the need to read Flyer Talk.
This is a curious comment. No shortage of wealthy folks here on FT. Anyone who can pay for a room at PH Vendome probably counts as 1%.

EuropeanPete may have meant 6 euros for a ride over to the RER C at Musee Dorsay [ ... ?]
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Sorry, I was talking about the Musee Dorsay.
It's d'Orsay. As in, Musee d'Orsay, Quai d'Orsay, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

You need to talk to someone at the front desk!
I did, they said it's the business next door doing the work and they can't control it. Didn't offer anything and I didn't push it. We weren't in the room long enough to be that bothered by it but we did try to take a nap one afternoon only to be woken up. If I weren't staying on points I would have asked for a different room. Also didn't feel like packing up and moving.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did, they said it's the business next door doing the work and they can't control it. Didn't offer anything and I didn't push it. We weren't in the room long enough to be that bothered by it but we did try to take a nap one afternoon only to be woken up. If I weren't staying on points I would have asked for a different room. Also didn't feel like packing up and moving.
The hotel will pack and move you. Points are as good as cash in my book, I wouldn't lower my standards because it was a points stay.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
What to expect as a Platinum?

Hi all,

Just booked 2 award nights at PHV. I was wondering what can be expected as a Hyatt Platinum member? Also, for any complimentary stuff(breakfast, etc), do the staff offer proactively or do you need to ask for it?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.