Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: skj
Wiki Link
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast, in the main lounge, at Les Orchidees, is free for Diamond members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Diamonds. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 14, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
Shouldn't matter.

They've always had good service recovery so hopefully we'll hear about that as well.
you know your right ! And I thought about that after I had written, so my apology to the poster. Hope they did something for you.

Looking forward to a November week stay should be interesting to see what they do about Thanksgiving Dinner in the restaurant
Old Sep 8, 14, 9:31 pm

Why are you spending a second waiting for a hotel room in Paris? Go sightsee, and have them store the bags!
Old Sep 8, 14, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Well said Joetro!

At the very least, walk a block and hang out at Eric Kayser and enjoy some of the best pastries and bread in the world and then take that to the Tuilleries Gardens
Old Sep 8, 14, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
When does this hotel make room assignments? Day of? Day before? Anyway to find out if you've been upgraded by checking online?

If there is a Park Deluxe King available will a Diamond automatically get it? We're booked into a Park Queen now and I see Park Deluxe Kings available for the days we'll be there. We have Diamond status as of last week. Hoping for a King but will be happy with either.

Thanks to everyone for restaurant and laundromat info!!!!
Old Sep 9, 14, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
They will not pre-commit to upgrades because technically they are selling them. However, in my limited but pleasant experience, they did upgrade us to a King on arrival since they were available ... on arrival.
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:04 am
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
They will not pre-commit to upgrades because technically they are selling them. However, in my limited but pleasant experience, they did upgrade us to a King on arrival since they were available ... on arrival.
Thanks-makes sense.
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
Shouldn't matter.

They've always had good service recovery so hopefully we'll hear about that as well.
Free nights.

Eventually was checked in. A girl who kept promising left, and I approached the check-in area not very happy. Luckly, guest relations officer was there and could fix the problem on the spot (he made a few calls).

Guest Relations (officer and director) take their job seriously. I was given an ext 6609 if I had any further issues.

I have very mixed feelings about the property. The location is very nice, and the room (well, a view to be specific) I got is very nice, too (somehow, Hyatt reservations booked me a suite instead of the room).

The hotel needs to be renovated big time. The lightning is very dim and depressing. The staff varies from awful to outstanding.

Overall, most definitely not a 5 star hotel. If you take the name Park Hyatt and the location - wouldn`t stay there.
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
When does this hotel make room assignments? Day of? Day before? Anyway to find out if you've been upgraded by checking online?

If there is a Park Deluxe King available will a Diamond automatically get it? We're booked into a Park Queen now and I see Park Deluxe Kings available for the days we'll be there. We have Diamond status as of last week. Hoping for a King but will be happy with either.

Thanks to everyone for restaurant and laundromat info!!!!
Hyatt reservations booked me park king suite about three months ago. Originally, I was assigned a different suite (maybe with the courtyard view, not sure, but it was 244 originally).
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me View Post
Well said Joetro!

At the very least, walk a block and hang out at Eric Kayser and enjoy some of the best pastries and bread in the world and then take that to the Tuilleries Gardens
I walked around a bit, but came back to the hotel because a check-in girl said it would be ready. Then it wasn`t. Then she said 20-25 minute. I came back in 40-no girl and room wasn`t ready.
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Kat007 View Post
Overall, most definitely not a 5 star hotel. If you take the name Park Hyatt and the location - wouldn`t stay there.
Wow - What do you consider to be a 5* hotel, given that the most noticeable part of 5* service is simply that you get a turn-down service once a day?
Old Sep 9, 14, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Wow - What do you consider to be a 5* hotel, given that the most noticeable part of 5* service is simply that you get a turn-down service once a day?
Actually, 5* means that a facility has some extra amenities, such as spa and a full service restaurant. 4* hotel will never be 5* without that, no matter how many times turn-down service could be.
Old Sep 9, 14, 1:23 pm

Thanks to one of the reviews on this thread-I used dinner recommendation and went to Le Dorcia. It`s a short walk from the hotel (take Rue 4 September from the Opera), and I was totally satisfied with both food and service.

While it wasn`t anything special (rather casual), it was totally French with local patrons. I had sardines for a starter, veal for the main course, and sort of Napoleon for dessert. I also had wine (don`t remember the brand, but it was made from Grenache)-totally fine with my palate.

Right now, there is 30% discount on food if you prebook. The service was very good, too.

P.S. I also had a "bag of tea" for 5 Euro, which was kind of expensive, considering that it wasn`t special. My total bill (with mineral water and the discount) was 42 Euro. I recommend it if you are looking for something near Park Hyatt.
Old Sep 9, 14, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kat007 View Post
Actually, 5* means that a facility has some extra amenities, such as spa and a full service restaurant. 4* hotel will never be 5* without that, no matter how many times turn-down service could be.
So by your own definition, it is 5*. You are contradicting yourself.

This is a favorite hotel on this forum, so don' be surprise if you don't get too much sympathy.
Old Sep 9, 14, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho View Post
So by your own definition, it is 5*. You are contradicting yourself.

This is a favorite hotel on this forum, so don' be surprise if you don't get too much sympathy.
These are not "my definitions"; these are classifications/qualification standards for hotels.

I am not looking for symphaty I am writing my personal mixed experience with this property. Some of the most famous bloggers actually disappointed with this hotel as well.
Old Sep 9, 14, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho View Post
Funny.
At least, they are more real than some of those who tries to persuade this forum that Park Hyatt Vendome is 5* because they have turn-down service. Now, that`s really funny

Search this Thread