Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm still not a fan of Paris though, to be honest.
You take that back!

I suppose this is what makes the world spin, but lordy I love Paris. Going back in the spring (staying in a suite at PHV) and can not wait.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
You take that back!

I suppose this is what makes the world spin, but lordy I love Paris. Going back in the spring (staying in a suite at PHV) and can not wait.

I read this thread with wonder, because my experience at the PHV did not come anywhere near the experiences people describe in this thread. Still I will return to Paris and the PHV (with expectations in check), because the location can't be beat.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pat89339

I read this thread with wonder, because my experience at the PHV did not come anywhere near the experiences people describe in this thread. Still I will return to Paris and the PHV (with expectations in check), because the location can't be beat.
I think that there is something special going to Paris and staying at the PHV rather than staying at the Marriott or the "regular" Hyatt at the airport. As for the hotel its self as you said the location is the best but inside the PHV it's getting a little long in the tooth and needs a rehab sooner than later.

For Diamonds the breakfast is wonderful and a great start to a long day of visiting Paris. We go back almost every year and loved it at Christmas last year and will return again coming back from a safari this year at Thanksgiving which should be interesting in to it's self
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I like my routine and sadly, the Park Hyatt Vendome is part of it now, at least in November and December - ever year like clockwork. I am no longer a diamond, so breakfast is not something I partake in any more. In fact, the ten years I was a diamond, we rarely ate breakfast in the hotel.

I do like the fact they remember us, always manage to get our reservations for dinner sorted out, that one of the concierges loves to tell me about the latest craft cocktails he's tried and that my packages either arrive or depart on time from the hotel.

lala
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by lalala
I like my routine and sadly, the Park Hyatt Vendome is part of it now, at least in November and December - ever year like clockwork. I am no longer a diamond, so breakfast is not something I partake in any more. In fact, the ten years I was a diamond, we rarely ate breakfast in the hotel.

I do like the fact they remember us, always manage to get our reservations for dinner sorted out, that one of the concierges loves to tell me about the latest craft cocktails he's tried and that my packages either arrive or depart on time from the hotel.

lala
Any mid-priced restaurants you'd recommend? We'll be there next month. TIA
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Try Le Dorcia, not so far away on foot, behind the Bourse. Excellent food; a real French restaurant (but modern); mid-priced.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by izzik
Do courtyard-facing rooms let in any cigarette smoke, even with closed windows?
I'm very sensitive to smoke.
My schnoz is pretty sensitive, yet in all the times I've had a courtyard-facing room at this property, the smell of cigarette smoke in rooms hasn't been an issue I've encountered.

Other smells are more likely to be stronger, but not because of the courtyard-facing windows.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 6, 2014 at 2:11 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by izzik
Do courtyard-facing rooms let in any cigarette smoke, even with closed windows?
I'm very sensitive to smoke.
Yes, some do. Mine did, all the way to the 7th floor.
The problem, I found out comes from the "air intake" being placed in the courtyard, right next to a table where smoking is allowed.
The night I complained about it, they were smoking cigars at that table and the scent was going through the duct system. It didn't matter whether the ventilation was turned on or not, you could smell it.

Now surely, common sense would dictate that you do not place a table of smokers, let alone cigar smokers, at a table where the "air intake" is located.
Short of making it a courtyard for non-smokers which they will not do, they should either relocate the "air intake" (which is supposed to be fresh air), an expensive task if not practically impossible, or designate part of the courtyard for non-smokers which might not make much difference since the courtyard is rather small.
Nevertheless, I am hoping they find a solution.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by philemer
Any mid-priced restaurants you'd recommend? We'll be there next month. TIA
Yesss.....

Le Relegade Conservatoire (booking essential - email concierge stat)
Le Relegade St. Honore (not as booked up)
Terroir Parisien (New on by Bourse is good, or maubert mutualite)
Les Bouquinistes - dinner
Ze Kitchen Gallerie bis for lunch
Pirouette - in les Halles for lunch (booking essential)

For a decent one star I suggest le violin de l'ingres - nice restaurant, part of the constant empire
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Try Le Dorcia, not so far away on foot, behind the Bourse. Excellent food; a real French restaurant (but modern); mid-priced.
Originally Posted by lalala
Yesss.....

Le Relegade Conservatoire (booking essential - email concierge stat)
Le Relegade St. Honore (not as booked up)
Terroir Parisien (New on by Bourse is good, or maubert mutualite)
Les Bouquinistes - dinner
Ze Kitchen Gallerie bis for lunch
Pirouette - in les Halles for lunch (booking essential)

For a decent one star I suggest le violin de l'ingres - nice restaurant, part of the constant empire
Merci beaucoup!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
On the same line but a little farther afield,

1. Chez Paul is a delicious traditional bistro: http://www.chezpaul.com/

2. Le Petit St. Benoit http://www.petit-st-benoit.com/ is also excellent (cash only)

Enjoy and please let us know if they are planning renovations at this property...Though I really like their rooms it seems like this palace is next in line for a complete renovation (a la Crillon and Ritz).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
With regards to the smoke smell issue, I'd like to report that it can also happen as S2S mentions above, in rooms that aren't courtyard facing. We had an executive suite which faced out, and one night in the main living area, had a really bad smoke smell. Windows were all closed, I even opened them to step out on the balcony to see if someone next door or outside on the street was smoking (though unlikely at 3 stories+ up).

I eventually shut the door to the sleeping area to prevent more of the odor from spreading and in the morning it was clear. Happened only that one time, so maybe as suggested above, it depends where they seated smoking people near intake vents.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Yes, some do. Mine did, all the way to the 7th floor.
The problem, I found out comes from the "air intake" being placed in the courtyard, right next to a table where smoking is allowed.
The night I complained about it, they were smoking cigars at that table and the scent was going through the duct system. It didn't matter whether the ventilation was turned on or not, you could smell it.

Now surely, common sense would dictate that you do not place a table of smokers, let alone cigar smokers, at a table where the "air intake" is located.
Short of making it a courtyard for non-smokers which they will not do, they should either relocate the "air intake" (which is supposed to be fresh air), an expensive task if not practically impossible, or designate part of the courtyard for non-smokers which might not make much difference since the courtyard is rather small.
Nevertheless, I am hoping they find a solution.
We barely smelled the faintest scent of smoke in our first 3 nights... then we felt like we had someone smoking in the room with us on our 4th night. It was absolutely disgusting. My wife is also sensitive to smoke and she had a number of issues following that incident. It was our last night and we decided not to worry about moving to a different room, but there's no excuse if the intake is the issue. That is a health hazard!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inexpensive yet very enjoyable restaurant not too far away -- but hard to get a booking at:

Frenchie http://www.frenchie-restaurant.com/en

Whoops, I see it's being renovated and won't re-open until September 1.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:22 am

Another fantastic option (if you can snag a reservation) is Septime. Had the best lunch of my life here.

http://www.septime-charonne.fr/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.