Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I suggest calling the hotel and ask to speak to a front desk manager. He/she will give a realistic reply to both questions.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by mmgm
I suggest calling the hotel and ask to speak to a front desk manager. He/she will give a realistic reply to both questions.
One hopes they will give and honest answer.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by jL637
How can I guarantee the rooms in DH tower? WOH said they'll assign the rooms at check in. I'm worried enough about the noise and disturbance to change my reservation to a different hotel. Also, what are the chances of a ocean front room? Thanks for your advice!
If it's a slow week, the FD often assigns the room a day or two before check-in. If you are stuck in Ewa Tower, ask for a room that doesn't face the protesters or rooms ending in x9, x10, x11, x12 or x13. If Diamond Head Tower, you'll want a room ending in x59, x60, x61, x62 or x63.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:16 pm

has anyone tried booking a premium suite here?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by jL637
I've been reading about the union hotel protests at the hotels next to the Ewa Tower.

I'm an explorist and applied a club upgrade to my reservation after Thanksgiving I read that the club tower is Diamond Head, which is furthest away from the protests.

How can I guarantee the rooms in DH tower? WOH said they'll assign the rooms at check in. I'm worried enough about the noise and disturbance to change my reservation to a different hotel. Also, what are the chances of a ocean front room? Thanks for your advice!
I'm an Explorist who just returned from a stay here, on an award stay where I used a Club Access award.

Despite being granted Club Access, I was assigned to the Ewa Tower. At check-in, the FD Agent asked me to wait a minute because "the manager" wanted to talk to me. I spoke to a very pleasant person (Stacey Martin, VIP Guest Experience Manager). She mentioned that they are experiencing problems with noise from strikers at "the Marriott". She offered apologies but noted it was totally out of their control. I forgot about the merger, so thought that being in the Ewa Tower would be a good thing as it was farther from "the Marriott". On arrival to my room on the 26th floor, the noise was very clear and irritating. My balcony looked straight down to the entry of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. I ran into Ms Martin a few hours later in the lobby and she recognized me. I noted the situation was worse than she seemed to imply and asked if the hotel was full. She replied that it was.

The noise does end at 10pm, but starts again at 7am. The acoustics are weird, I honestly think it's worse near floor 26 that at ground level. The patio of the Regency Club is no problem at all, I assume most of the Diamond Tower is ok.
I am nowhere close to Hyatt's best customer, but as an Explorist, even on an award stay, I am extremely disappointed in this stay. I can't believe I don't rank at least in the top 50% and be assigned a Diamond Tower room. I'd guess that even a Ewa Tower room on the other side would be acceptable.

The worst part ?? Some of those irritating chants have stuck in my head and I'm signing them to myself at home
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by steve64
I'm an Explorist who just returned from a stay here, on an award stay where I used a Club Access award.

Despite being granted Club Access, I was assigned to the Ewa Tower. At check-in, the FD Agent asked me to wait a minute because "the manager" wanted to talk to me. I spoke to a very pleasant person (Stacey Martin, VIP Guest Experience Manager). She mentioned that they are experiencing problems with noise from strikers at "the Marriott". She offered apologies but noted it was totally out of their control. I forgot about the merger, so thought that being in the Ewa Tower would be a good thing as it was farther from "the Marriott". On arrival to my room on the 26th floor, the noise was very clear and irritating. My balcony looked straight down to the entry of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. I ran into Ms Martin a few hours later in the lobby and she recognized me. I noted the situation was worse than she seemed to imply and asked if the hotel was full. She replied that it was.

The noise does end at 10pm, but starts again at 7am. The acoustics are weird, I honestly think it's worse near floor 26 that at ground level. The patio of the Regency Club is no problem at all, I assume most of the Diamond Tower is ok.
I am nowhere close to Hyatt's best customer, but as an Explorist, even on an award stay, I am extremely disappointed in this stay. I can't believe I don't rank at least in the top 50% and be assigned a Diamond Tower room. I'd guess that even a Ewa Tower room on the other side would be acceptable.

The worst part ?? Some of those irritating chants have stuck in my head and I'm signing them to myself at home
They treat all levels with equal distain
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure it's fair to blame Hyatt for noise caused by a labor disruption at Marriott.

I work across the street from the Oakland Marriott, and the noise and disruption these so-called "strikers" (most of whom were paid noise-makers) made was off-the-charts outrageous.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure it's fair to blame Hyatt for noise caused by a labor disruption at Marriott.

I work across the street from the Oakland Marriott, and the noise and disruption these so-called "strikers" (most of whom were paid noise-makers) made was off-the-charts outrageous.
Kacee is correct MOST of the "strikers" on the picket lines are from unemployment thats a fact. Most of the strikes are there when the cameras are on it's so pathetic if people only knew. And you know that the union does not publish the wage package? Higher than the average worker in Hawaii
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond

TL;DR I agree that the reason the room was undesirable is out of Hyatt's control. Knowingly assigning me an undesirable room is my complaint.

Personally, I'm not blaming Hyatt. It's one reason I accepted my room and "apology" from the VIP Manager at check-in.
Afterwards, I learned that "the Marriott" was actually the Sheraton across the street, and that this strike wasn't something that started after I had been allocated a room in a full hotel (the strike had been going on for 35+ days), This is where I became disappointed. For whatever reason, I was knowingly assigned an undesirable room.

And purely my personal impression based on circumstantial evidence only, I honestly don't think the hotel was that full. I can not believe they couldn't find a better 3 night room block than the one I was assigned.
I've been a semi regular visitor to this hotel for 10 years and the property just didn't "feel full". The lobby areas didn't seem as busy, the elevators lines were not there (but the waits still were), the Club wasn't overcrowded, etc. All of Waikiki felt the same way. I only took this trip because I found a decent last minute airfare.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by steve64
TL;DR I agree that the reason the room was undesirable is out of Hyatt's control. Knowingly assigning me an undesirable room is my complaint.

Personally, I'm not blaming Hyatt. It's one reason I accepted my room and "apology" from the VIP Manager at check-in.
Afterwards, I learned that "the Marriott" was actually the Sheraton across the street, and that this strike wasn't something that started after I had been allocated a room in a full hotel (the strike had been going on for 35+ days), This is where I became disappointed. For whatever reason, I was knowingly assigned an undesirable room.

And purely my personal impression based on circumstantial evidence only, I honestly don't think the hotel was that full. I can not believe they couldn't find a better 3 night room block than the one I was assigned.
I've been a semi regular visitor to this hotel for 10 years and the property just didn't "feel full". The lobby areas didn't seem as busy, the elevators lines were not there (but the waits still were), the Club wasn't overcrowded, etc. All of Waikiki felt the same way. I only took this trip because I found a decent last minute airfare.
I use to be a regular even to the point we had a corporate rate plan with the hotel even then many times the room selection sucked. For several years we would burn 120 room nights a year and do you think we got anything special NOPE
steve64 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I stayed at this hotel back in October 2016 on my way to Japan. I had just received my Hyatt Credit Card with Platinum (now Discoverist) status and wanted to put spend on the card to get the two free-night awards. I was traveling solo, but when I checked in they told me they were upgrading me to a penthouse suite on the 40th floor. WOW, was I surprised. Three lanais, an in-room Mac PC with printer, two bathrooms, a gigantic living room, just for lil' ol' me. The hotel rooms, including the suites, are a little dated and in need of upgrade, but who can argue with the royal treatment. The Club Lounge access was nice, too. The Club Lounge food options were somewhat more limited than what I have experienced at Hyatt Club Lounges in Japan, namely, at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo and the Grand Hyatt Fukuoka (where Moet Chandon champagne was freely available). The HR Waikiki Club Lounge's outdoor terrace is also very nice both day and night, with great views. Love the hotel's location, but still prefer to be in a hotel right on the beach, unless I can be guaranteed an upgrade to a suite here. ^
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
The hotel rooms, including the suites, are a little dated and in need of upgrade
The rooms have been updated, though they really needed to gut the bathrooms and start over.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:50 am

The rooms have been updated, though they really needed to gut the bathrooms and start over.

They do but that is an expensive time consuming event and highly doubtful unless there was a downturn to allow construction only other way is modular redo's but those are fraught with dangers Ask Marriott
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Good news is the new contract was ratified and folks will be returning to work Thursday. The noise was annoying and I was lucky to have gotten the Diamond Head Tower for both my stays while the strike is happening.

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-new...ers/1622866563
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I’m at the hotel now. The good news is the elevator problem in the Diamondhead tower is much improved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.