Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
i was there for the earthquake that blacked out the entire island. They were very prepared and I was very happy with their response and treatment of guests. The hotel is a designated shelter.
As deteriorated as that hotel is ? I would rather go to the Marriott.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Is it a designated shelter? Are they prepared to handle all the people who evacuate there?

The hotel rooms may be deteriorated, but the rest of the place appears to be fine.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The hotel rooms may be deteriorated
How can that be? I thought they just finished renovation of all the rooms?

Anyway, the greatest evacuation facilities in the world wouldn't matter if the staff weren't prepared to implement them at any time.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
How can that be? I thought they just finished renovation of all the rooms?

Anyway, the greatest evacuation facilities in the world wouldn't matter if the staff weren't prepared to implement them at any time.
The problem with the last refresh was the cheap furnishings and el cheapo bathroom redo
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:58 am

It has been at least 3-4 years, perhaps longer, since they refreshed the rooms & redid the bathrooms. In a hotel that has nearly 100% occupancy year round, and with most of them one or two nights, it does not surprise me the rooms take a beating.

That being said, it probably is time for another refresh given the occupancy levels.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:33 am

It has been at least 3-4 years, perhaps longer, since they refreshed the rooms & redid the bathrooms. In a hotel that has nearly 100% occupancy year round, and with most of them one or two nights, it does not surprise me the rooms take a beating.

That being said, it probably is time for another refresh given the occupancy levels.

Let's hope this time it's not done on the cheap.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by gloobnib
Renovation News: I've been in contact with the guest experience manager off and on for the past few weeks regarding an upcoming stay in January. I had originally worked with them to confirm a ocean-facing family suite in the Diamond Head tower (xx59/60). The GEM contacted me this week to tell me that they will be doing some extensive external reservations in January and *all* of the 59/60 suites are going to have scaffolding on the exterior and the balconies to those rooms are going to be locked/inaccessible. We worked together to come up with a mutually agreeable alternative room blocking, but this is still a minor disappointment (we were *really* looking forward to that view again). I am glad they contacted me though, because I would have been *really* bummed had I got there and found out that my 'diamond suite upgrade' was into a room with no balcony and a view obstructed by scaffolding!

The GEM also confirmed that the RC will still be in the alternative "Kou Ballroom" on the second floor.
Just returned from my 2 week trip, first 4 nights were at the HR Waikiki. We arrived 1/6 and were upgraded to the Uluniu Penthouse Suite for those 4 nights. The suite is definitely very nice with amazing views of Diamond Head from the living room and a partial Diamond Head/Ocean view from the bedroom. My only 'complaint' (and this is nitpicking) is that there werent enough lights throughout the suite, particularly in the bathroom. It would have also been nice if the bathroom was a little more luxurious; with all the space in the suite (takes up the space of 3 standard rooms), it still had just a standard bathroom with a standard tub/shower in the bedroom, and a 1/2 bath in the living room. It has a LOT of closet space; more than I have in all 4 bedrooms at home! Would have been nice if they had found a way to eliminate about 1/2 the closet space and put in a nice big tub!

We didn't get to try the new RC; sounds like they opened it on the day after we checked out.

Also re: the external work - we didn't see any sign of it for our first two nights, but beginning on the 8th there were indeed crews working on the outside of the DH tower on the portion facing the ocean (59/60 rooms). It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be in that the 'scaffolding' that was being used was not the latice/fixed scaffolds I was envisioning but was rather 3-5 window-washing rigs that were suspended on cables. I can see why they would not want anybody on the balconies while this is being done, but other than the 12-20 cables holding those rigs up, there was nothing else to block the view.

We did not notice any problems with the elevators. Our longest wait was 2 minutes and we were entertained by two talented Uke players in the afternoons/evenings when it did get 'busy'. Perhaps we just got lucky, or maybe with the renovations going on there were significantly fewer guests in the DH tower...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I am there now. It is definitely quieter than right after the holidays. No real problem with the elevators at this time. I’m in the Ewa tower.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Just returned from my 2 week trip, first 4 nights were at the HR Waikiki. We arrived 1/6 and were upgraded to the Uluniu Penthouse Suite for those 4 nights. The suite is definitely very nice with amazing views of Diamond Head from the living room and a partial Diamond Head/Ocean view from the bedroom. My only 'complaint' (and this is nitpicking) is that there werent enough lights throughout the suite, particularly in the bathroom. It would have also been nice if the bathroom was a little more luxurious; with all the space in the suite (takes up the space of 3 standard rooms), it still had just a standard bathroom with a standard tub/shower in the bedroom, and a 1/2 bath in the living room. It has a LOT of closet space; more than I have in all 4 bedrooms at home! Would have been nice if they had found a way to eliminate about 1/2 the closet space and put in a nice big tub!

We didn't get to try the new RC; sounds like they opened it on the day after we checked out.

Also re: the external work - we didn't see any sign of it for our first two nights, but beginning on the 8th there were indeed crews working on the outside of the DH tower on the portion facing the ocean (59/60 rooms). It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be in that the 'scaffolding' that was being used was not the latice/fixed scaffolds I was envisioning but was rather 3-5 window-washing rigs that were suspended on cables. I can see why they would not want anybody on the balconies while this is being done, but other than the 12-20 cables holding those rigs up, there was nothing else to block the view.

We did not notice any problems with the elevators. Our longest wait was 2 minutes and we were entertained by two talented Uke players in the afternoons/evenings when it did get 'busy'. Perhaps we just got lucky, or maybe with the renovations going on there were significantly fewer guests in the DH tower...

Those are called "swing stages" commonly used on high rise work "window washing rigs" so not support repair/restoration. That work by my guess is the third time around in the past 10 years for the towers. Has anyone noticed real changes since the new owners took hold ?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Does anybody know the difference beteeen the „Ocean view“ and „Ocean front“ category? Is the later those rooms ending with 59 and 60 in the Diamond Head tower (so facing directly the ocean with a slightly different layout than the other rooms)?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Does anybody know the difference beteeen the „Ocean view“ and „Ocean front“ category? Is the later those rooms ending with 59 and 60 in the Diamond Head tower (so facing directly the ocean with a slightly different layout than the other rooms)?
Ocean front rooms are directly facing the ocean. Ocean View rooms are facing the side with great views of the ocean and Diamond Head in the DH tower.

Not sure about the room numbers.

Both are good rooms IMO.

-David
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Ocean front rooms are directly facing the ocean. Ocean View rooms are facing the side with great views of the ocean and Diamond Head in the DH tower.

Not sure about the room numbers.

Both are good rooms IMO.

-David
X2
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:51 pm

The 59 & 60 rooms are full ocean front.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Japengo has closed. The space will be used by JTB. There's now a nightly dinner seafood buffet at SHOR.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by thekaica
Japengo has closed. The space will be used by JTB. There's now a nightly dinner seafood buffet at SHOR.
Personally I felt it was over priced and overrated. They got Japengo from the LaJolla location. Once upon a time F&B was pretty good at the Hyatt especially when the Colony was open. Ever since GS/BS sucked the life out of the place it's terrible. It's one thing to charge a high fee it's another to delivery on quality.

Hopefully they will figure it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.