Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:04 am

I spent three weeks at each the Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton Waikiki (as SPG Platinum) and at the Hyatt Regency (as a GP Diamond) in 2015 and again in 2016. This is "up" from a combined four weeks a year commitment going back 20 years. I have an opinion, but I know it is wrong. You're welcome.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I spent three weeks at each the Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton Waikiki (as SPG Platinum) and at the Hyatt Regency (as a GP Diamond) in 2015 and again in 2016. This is "up" from a combined four weeks a year commitment going back 20 years. I have an opinion, but I know it is wrong. You're welcome.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just finished a 7-day stay there. No upgrade but I didn't expect one as the hotel was sold out for part of (the beginning of) my stay and to top it off I was arriving very late on NYE.

Standard Hyatt room for this property. It was a 'smoking room' in that there was an ashtray on the table and there was a sticker that said smoking on the balcony was allowed if the door was closed . I don't smoke and was shocked to see this--I figured that smoking wasn't allowed on any balconies. I didn't care for an unsightly ashtray on the balcony table but I didn't let it bother me.

The resort fee for diamonds stinks and I've stayed there less because of it--was at the HP Waikiki a few months ago for the first time and it was fine--and no resort fees. Thank goodness that WOH gets us globalist out of it starting 3/1.

Everything was great in the Regency Club. As good as it's ever been to my memory. This is why I keep coming back to this property. The clubs at the Maui and Kauai Hyatts are not as nice as this RC IMO.

I've stayed at the Marriott and Sheraton and the Hyatt is better for me. Even though I'm Marriott plat I'd be hard pressed to stay at the Marriott Waikiki again after a few really mediocre stays there.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Renard
I just finished a 7-day stay there. No upgrade but I didn't expect one as the hotel was sold out for part of (the beginning of) my stay and to top it off I was arriving very late on NYE.

Standard Hyatt room for this property. It was a 'smoking room' in that there was an ashtray on the table and there was a sticker that said smoking on the balcony was allowed if the door was closed . I don't smoke and was shocked to see this--I figured that smoking wasn't allowed on any balconies. I didn't care for an unsightly ashtray on the balcony table but I didn't let it bother me.

The resort fee for diamonds stinks and I've stayed there less because of it--was at the HP Waikiki a few months ago for the first time and it was fine--and no resort fees. Thank goodness that WOH gets us globalist out of it starting 3/1.

Everything was great in the Regency Club. As good as it's ever been to my memory. This is why I keep coming back to this property. The clubs at the Maui and Kauai Hyatts are not as nice as this RC IMO.

I've stayed at the Marriott and Sheraton and the Hyatt is better for me. Even though I'm Marriott plat I'd be hard pressed to stay at the Marriott Waikiki again after a few really mediocre stays there.
They have been putting ash trays out there for years, it's more for their Asian visitors. Mark has always been the "main attraction" and has made the RC a great place to visit. As is Barbara by the pool. I agree on the Marriott, I actually walked in there two days after it became a Marriott ( that was a long time ago) in those days it was a great place to stay, having said that it's been down hill.
Since GS then Blackstone owned this property service has gone downhill rapidly. we can only hope that the new owners bring it back and we Diamonds, soon to be Globalist ( HATE that name) will be treated a little better. I am a LFT PLT with Marriott so with the merger has opened a lot of new options on the beach
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
They have been putting ash trays out there for years, it's more for their Asian visitors. Mark has always been the "main attraction" and has made the RC a great place to visit. As is Barbara by the pool. I agree on the Marriott, I actually walked in there two days after it became a Marriott ( that was a long time ago) in those days it was a great place to stay, having said that it's been down hill.
Since GS then Blackstone owned this property service has gone downhill rapidly. we can only hope that the new owners bring it back and we Diamonds, soon to be Globalist ( HATE that name) will be treated a little better. I am a LFT PLT with Marriott so with the merger has opened a lot of new options on the beach
I saw small indication that things were getting somewhat back to normal with for diamonds... the return of the little Hawaiian candy box. Now it wasn't fancy candy... just the type of stuff you'd see in the grocer etc. It's not the tasty Honolulu Cookie Company box of years ago ... but it was better than nothing... which was what we saw last year in January.

Thank goodness the RC food has improved since a visit we had in Jan 15. The hot entrees seemed to be right out of the Costco freezer then... last January they were back to the normal quality....I think that we even had coconut shrimp one evening last January....

The one comment I would say is that one morning the loco moco was just horrible--I think that it had been nuked loco moco from the regular buffet the previous morning or something. I thought that maybe it had been on the warmer too long but the next batch that came out was the same way. Pancakes do seem to be a bit too frequent for my tastes... but sometimes they seem to be the hot breakfast entree if they've run out of whatever they were serving. I would show up around 9am so I might have been seeing that.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Renard
I saw small indication that things were getting somewhat back to normal with for diamonds... the return of the little Hawaiian candy box. Now it wasn't fancy candy... just the type of stuff you'd see in the grocer etc. It's not the tasty Honolulu Cookie Company box of years ago ... but it was better than nothing... which was what we saw last year in January.

Thank goodness the RC food has improved since a visit we had in Jan 15. The hot entrees seemed to be right out of the Costco freezer then... last January they were back to the normal quality....I think that we even had coconut shrimp one evening last January....

The one comment I would say is that one morning the loco moco was just horrible--I think that it had been nuked loco moco from the regular buffet the previous morning or something. I thought that maybe it had been on the warmer too long but the next batch that came out was the same way. Pancakes do seem to be a bit too frequent for my tastes... but sometimes they seem to be the hot breakfast entree if they've run out of whatever they were serving. I would show up around 9am so I might have been seeing that.
Now that's great news! Not sure how fast they will move but most assuredly they will be looking and listening. I know we will never see the dar and driver for local stops but --- Maybe they will reopen the Colony that would be a hoot.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That is very unfortunate. Melody was extremely helpful when I emailed her about an issue last year.
My experience too.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Melody was great. She's now off enjoying herself traveling in Asia for 6 months. I believe she resigned entirely in order to do so.

I'm jealous
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Melody was great. She's now off enjoying herself traveling in Asia for 6 months. I believe she resigned entirely in order to do so.

I'm jealous
good for her ! Let's see how this property handles the new tier structure and all that comes with it! Frankly I have no expectations this or Maui will change. But I have been promised by my MHC that if there is an issue to call him directly
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
The new VIP Manager is Jun. He is not new to the hotel. My first experiences with him have been positive. Melody did a great job of passing me off to Jun.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
I was there over the summer of 2016 for 3 days (including the weekend) and was upgraded to a connecting room "suite" on a high floor with two ocean view balconies. No DSU was used on the stay. We enjoyed relaxing on the balconies, but the hotel was definitely dated. The lounge was a good size, but the food in the lounge was subpar at best.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by CrashDavis
I was there over the summer of 2016 for 3 days (including the weekend) and was upgraded to a connecting room "suite" on a high floor with two ocean view balconies. No DSU was used on the stay. We enjoyed relaxing on the balconies, but the hotel was definitely dated. The lounge was a good size, but the food in the lounge was subpar at best.
heading over this summer for a few days hoping the new ownership has begun improvements.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Any new stays at this hotel.
also what are the familys suites like now are they the old parlor rooms
and have they been done up its for a family of 4 adults that need accommodation.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aussielori
Any new stays at this hotel.
also what are the familys suites like now are they the old parlor rooms
and have they been done up its for a family of 4 adults that need accommodation.
Yes, stayed this past week.

The website has a picture of the family suite: https://waikiki.regency.hyatt.com/mu...panel.jpg.html

They are essentially updated parlor rooms, but the furnishings make them a little more suite-like than before.

Here's a blog post covering a recent stay: http://www.hawaiimomblog.com/2015/12...-at-hyatt.html
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mmgm
The new VIP Manager is Jun. He is not new to the hotel. My first experiences with him have been positive. Melody did a great job of passing me off to Jun.
Do you have the email address for Jun? I had been communicating with Melody about my 2017 stays and was to reach out to her after March 1 when to adjust/finalize some reservation details that I assume Jun will now handle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.