Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:38 am

Thanks for the feedback. We're most interested in the suite for having a few guests over in the afternoon; will take what we can get!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Having guests over the Penthouse suites would be ideal but you will not be disappointed with the regular DSU in the Ewa Tower.

Originally Posted by jxwo
Thanks for the feedback. We're most interested in the suite for having a few guests over in the afternoon; will take what we can get!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:24 am

Thank you

Last edited by yerffej201; Jan 27, 2015 at 2:26 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
Thanks for all of the replies. Why is Diamond tower preferred over Ewa tower? Are they not the same?

ERQ
They are pretty much identical.

I prefer it because I like being on that side of the street, it's closer to the club, and the car. Often, my parents are staying at the Pacific Monarch and it's closer to them In past, the club was on the 39th floor.

In all the years we've been going to the hotel we have spent a total of 1 night in Ewa. I guess we're just used to it.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Since I posted questions earlier--thank you for the responses--I wanted to follow up now that we've completed our stay (sort of).

So, for the first time I can ever remember, I actually checked out of my reserved hotel (the Hyatt) after one night and switched to an entirely different one for the rest of my stay.

I should say at the start that there really isn't anything wrong with the hotel. It isn't an awful property or anything like that. It just wasn't what I wanted for the kind of trip that I was on (a 10th anniversary getaway without the kids).

At check in, the staff at the front desk was excellent. Friendly, a nice welcome, and an upgrade from an oceanview king room to an oceanfront king room. The resort fee was waived. I had done self parking at the Hyatt garage across the street, and the garage was memorable--very, very tight, with a small number of spaces per floor. (However, its sitting on a prime piece of real estate and the views from the garage were very nice!). I'm not a fan of valet, but this might be a place to consider it just to avoid the narrow passage up--if a vehicle is coming down while you are coming up, its pretty dicey (and by the way, I park in a tight parking garage every workday, so it isn't like I'm new to this).

Our room was newly renovated in the Ewa tower. It was nice and fresh, as one would expect. I did not mind the color scheme--the light blue used is beachy. The room itself was quite large. However, in my view, the space wasn't used very well and a lot of it is wasted. There's a long work desk, but the only other real piece of furniture is sort of a half chair/lounge kind of thing, with seating for one. Therefore, there's a lot of empty space just sitting there that isn't useable. A couple of chairs and a table would be nice.

The good part of the bathroom is that the sink is on the outside, the bad part is that the rest of the fixtures (toilet and bathtub/shower) are pretty tight. Our tub had a drainage problem that I would have needed to have addressed had we stayed at the hotel.

The lanai was fairly small. For an oceanfront room, I was not impressed with the view. We were at an angle, and from the room itself could only see the Westin and other hotels next door. You had to stand right at the glass, or go out on the lanai to see the ocean, and it was not a panoramic view.

The biggest problem was noise. This was probably the single noisiest hotel in terms of street noise that I've ever stayed in--and that include big city hotels all over the US and Europe. We were on the 22nd floor, and while I had done my research and knew there was some street noise, I simply wasn't prepared for this. Out on the balcony, it was dominant--it really wasn't possible to relax out there, with all the buses, trucks backing up, etc. At night, street musicians set up shop below, including some kind of drum performance. Even inside the room, you could hear every bit of it. The front desk said it usually stops around 10, but it probably went on until at least 10:30 if not later (I finally fell asleep with headphones). It was really brutal.

We also weren't impressed with the "shopping" area below the lobby--Blackstone has announced a renovation, and that's a good thing because its seem better days and is just kind of depressing. One of the stores was being used for a bankruptcy liquidation when we were there.

As others have mentioned, the pool itself is flat out pathetic, and the area around it is quite limited. There's not much room just to sit and relax. We checked out the restaurants and they didn't seem that appealing either.

So, after one night, we sort of looked at each other and said that this isn't really what we had in mind for a relaxing trip, and decided to cut our losses. It is possible we could have been relocated to a quieter room? Maybe. Higher might have helped some...but not THAT much, as 22 is not a low floor. Perhaps the Diamondhead tower is quieter, but as others said availability is limited because of renovations right now. The other issues with the general atmosphere of the place, and the views weren't going to be fixed.

Since we were calling an audible, our options were fairly limited and we did have a budget. We ended up moving to an oceanfront room in the Rainbow Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I'll post a full report on the Hilton thread. To be honest, I had been scared off that hotel by reviews on Flyertalk and TripAdvisor. I was afraid our intended quiet, relaxing stay would be overrun by kids. Maybe we just got lucky in terms of occupancy when we were there, but those fears were not realized at all and we absolutely loved the place. It helped that we were upgraded into a king corner room with unbelievable panoramic views. The whole atmosphere there was terrific, its literally right on the beach, and from what I saw it is the best section of beach on Waikiki. In terms of kids and commotion, most of that was centered around the Paradise Pool which has water slides. The Super pool below us was almost completely kid-free every day. Yes, there were kids on the beach, but it was such a large expanse of beach that there was still plenty of room to spread out. Now, the Hilton did cost more, particularly because the resort fee wasn't waived, so that is a consideration. But, for us it was a much better choice, and a completely different experience.

So, the bottom line is that I simply misjudged the Hyatt--I was aware of the some of the issues, but I just didn't think they would impact my enjoyment as much as they did. Depending on your needs and what you're there for, I wouldn't necessarily say to stay away, but be aware of the noise issues from the street and plan accordingly. As I said, the staff we encountered were friendly and nice, and had I brought my concerns to their attention I'm sure they would have done their best to try to improve my experience even though they were mostly out of their control.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MFLetou
So, the bottom line is that I simply misjudged the Hyatt--I was aware of the some of the issues, but I just didn't think they would impact my enjoyment as much as they did.
What a disappointing start to your anniversary trip. It sounds like the HHV ended up being the right place for you. I'm glad you 'called the audible' and ended up so happy in a great room there. As it should be for a milestone anniversary.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:14 am

Yes, a King Corner in the Rainbow Tower at the HHV is one of the best views in Waikiki. Certainly an improvement over most of the Hyatt rooms.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Since I posted questions earlier--thank you for the responses--I wanted to follow up now that we've completed our stay (sort of).

So, for the first time I can ever remember, I actually checked out of my reserved hotel (the Hyatt) after one night and switched to an entirely different one for the rest of my stay.

I should say at the start that there really isn't anything wrong with the hotel. It isn't an awful property or anything like that. It just wasn't what I wanted for the kind of trip that I was on (a 10th anniversary getaway without the kids).

At check in, the staff at the front desk was excellent. Friendly, a nice welcome, and an upgrade from an oceanview king room to an oceanfront king room. The resort fee was waived. I had done self parking at the Hyatt garage across the street, and the garage was memorable--very, very tight, with a small number of spaces per floor. (However, its sitting on a prime piece of real estate and the views from the garage were very nice!). I'm not a fan of valet, but this might be a place to consider it just to avoid the narrow passage up--if a vehicle is coming down while you are coming up, its pretty dicey (and by the way, I park in a tight parking garage every workday, so it isn't like I'm new to this).

Our room was newly renovated in the Ewa tower. It was nice and fresh, as one would expect. I did not mind the color scheme--the light blue used is beachy. The room itself was quite large. However, in my view, the space wasn't used very well and a lot of it is wasted. There's a long work desk, but the only other real piece of furniture is sort of a half chair/lounge kind of thing, with seating for one. Therefore, there's a lot of empty space just sitting there that isn't useable. A couple of chairs and a table would be nice.

The good part of the bathroom is that the sink is on the outside, the bad part is that the rest of the fixtures (toilet and bathtub/shower) are pretty tight. Our tub had a drainage problem that I would have needed to have addressed had we stayed at the hotel.

The lanai was fairly small. For an oceanfront room, I was not impressed with the view. We were at an angle, and from the room itself could only see the Westin and other hotels next door. You had to stand right at the glass, or go out on the lanai to see the ocean, and it was not a panoramic view.

The biggest problem was noise. This was probably the single noisiest hotel in terms of street noise that I've ever stayed in--and that include big city hotels all over the US and Europe. We were on the 22nd floor, and while I had done my research and knew there was some street noise, I simply wasn't prepared for this. Out on the balcony, it was dominant--it really wasn't possible to relax out there, with all the buses, trucks backing up, etc. At night, street musicians set up shop below, including some kind of drum performance. Even inside the room, you could hear every bit of it. The front desk said it usually stops around 10, but it probably went on until at least 10:30 if not later (I finally fell asleep with headphones). It was really brutal.

We also weren't impressed with the "shopping" area below the lobby--Blackstone has announced a renovation, and that's a good thing because its seem better days and is just kind of depressing. One of the stores was being used for a bankruptcy liquidation when we were there.

As others have mentioned, the pool itself is flat out pathetic, and the area around it is quite limited. There's not much room just to sit and relax. We checked out the restaurants and they didn't seem that appealing either.

So, after one night, we sort of looked at each other and said that this isn't really what we had in mind for a relaxing trip, and decided to cut our losses. It is possible we could have been relocated to a quieter room? Maybe. Higher might have helped some...but not THAT much, as 22 is not a low floor. Perhaps the Diamondhead tower is quieter, but as others said availability is limited because of renovations right now. The other issues with the general atmosphere of the place, and the views weren't going to be fixed.

Since we were calling an audible, our options were fairly limited and we did have a budget. We ended up moving to an oceanfront room in the Rainbow Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I'll post a full report on the Hilton thread. To be honest, I had been scared off that hotel by reviews on Flyertalk and TripAdvisor. I was afraid our intended quiet, relaxing stay would be overrun by kids. Maybe we just got lucky in terms of occupancy when we were there, but those fears were not realized at all and we absolutely loved the place. It helped that we were upgraded into a king corner room with unbelievable panoramic views. The whole atmosphere there was terrific, its literally right on the beach, and from what I saw it is the best section of beach on Waikiki. In terms of kids and commotion, most of that was centered around the Paradise Pool which has water slides. The Super pool below us was almost completely kid-free every day. Yes, there were kids on the beach, but it was such a large expanse of beach that there was still plenty of room to spread out. Now, the Hilton did cost more, particularly because the resort fee wasn't waived, so that is a consideration. But, for us it was a much better choice, and a completely different experience.

So, the bottom line is that I simply misjudged the Hyatt--I was aware of the some of the issues, but I just didn't think they would impact my enjoyment as much as they did. Depending on your needs and what you're there for, I wouldn't necessarily say to stay away, but be aware of the noise issues from the street and plan accordingly. As I said, the staff we encountered were friendly and nice, and had I brought my concerns to their attention I'm sure they would have done their best to try to improve my experience even though they were mostly out of their control.

It's a shame but your observations from my experience are right on target. I for the life of me can not understand why the hotel does not do something with the rooms and the way they are done it is a lot of wasted space, other than real suites. Noise is always an issue nothing one can do about that, your in the middle of everything. The pool area is a joke, and they redid that a few years ago. Restaurants are also a joke. They can not seem to get that right as well. I still call for the Colony to reopen!

The "shopping" has been in a steady decline for years, but in all fairness many of the other hotels are experiencing the same thing.

Staff GREAT !
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Sorry the stay wasn't as you had hoped

But one thing... if you had to stand at the glass door to see the ocean you were not in an ocean front room. Those rooms are considered ocean view.

When you're in an ocean front room you pretty much can see the ocean straight ahead of you even if the Westin is in the way.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs up Significant improvements in the evening in the RC

A major change in the evening. In addition to the salad and warm dishes there is now soup, salsa and chips, more breads, cheeses and fruits. The first evening they were all very good.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
If I apply a DSU and get the usual suite upgrade, it should be plenty roomy for two couples right?

Also, how is this hyatt on # of guests in the booking vs staying. I noticed that changing the booking from 2 to 4 persons almost doubles the price! Usually its a tolerable fraction.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:10 pm

I have 4 people booked at the same price as two. It actually was a mistake, and there will only be two of us I believe I used the AAA rate.

The usual suite upgrade are basically 2 rooms that are connected via a doorway. There's more than enough room for each couple - and technically, they will each have their own room. But one couple will be sleeping on a murhpy bed.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:54 am

Since I posted questions earlier--thank you for the responses--

I should say at the start that there really isn't anything wrong with the hotel. It isn't an awful property or anything like that.

This. It is SO LOUD in this hotel. We were checked in to the EWa tower and "upgraded" to an oceanfront view. 20th flor. It was not head on, but there was no straining to see the ocean. But, it faced the diamond head tower where they were jackhammering away. The thought of trying to sit on the balcony and enjoying coffee when we knew they would start at 0700 every morning was a non-starter. BTW, we could hear the jackhammeing with the doors/ windows closed. We asked to be moved to the other side and the only thing available was 15th floor, partial ocean view, but facing the other way. We took it.

The view was OK. It was partial. But the noise was no better, and possibly worse. Street noise. Lual from the Sheraton. Trucks. Cars. It's 7am on a Saturday, why am I awake? Noise. We have spent less than an hour on the balcony due to the constant crush of noise.

No way I would ever reccomend this hotel. It's nice, but I would go no further than that.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
This. It is SO LOUD in this hotel. We were checked in to the EWa tower and "upgraded" to an oceanfront view. 20th flor. It was not head on, but there was no straining to see the ocean. But, it faced the diamond head tower where they were jackhammering away. The thought of trying to sit on the balcony and enjoying coffee when we knew they would start at 0700 every morning was a non-starter. BTW, we could hear the jackhammeing with the doors/ windows closed. We asked to be moved to the other side and the only thing available was 15th floor, partial ocean view, but facing the other way. We took it.

The view was OK. It was partial. But the noise was no better, and possibly worse. Street noise. Lual from the Sheraton. Trucks. Cars. It's 7am on a Saturday, why am I awake? Noise. We have spent less than an hour on the balcony due to the constant crush of noise.

No way I would ever reccomend this hotel. It's nice, but I would go no further than that.
Sadly the reason for all this was the total lack of maintenance on this property for many many years due to poor management ( multiple) and GS bled it dry. I know,
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I was told the change out cost for each sliding door is $30k per. The decision was made to delay that in the current renovation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.