Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:39 am
formerly ffactoryxx

I am going to Hawaii/Maui in October for 9 days. Need help filling in the rest here and wanted to see if staying at this location for 3 days was worth it.

Oct. 19-23 - Andaz - Booked

I then am moving us more North from October 23-25 and looking for something north end of island. Do you recommend this hotel (Partial Ocean View) for 2 days?

25-27th we are flying to Honolulu for a more city atmosphere.

27th night we fly out.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Are you talking about HR Maui?

This is the HR Waikiki thread.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:36 pm
formerly ffactoryxx

Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
I am going to Hawaii/Maui in October for 9 days. Need help filling in the rest here and wanted to see if staying at this location for 3 days was worth it.

Oct. 19-23 - Andaz - Booked

I then am moving us more North from October 23-25 and looking for something north end of island. Do you recommend this hotel (Partial Ocean View) for 2 days?

25-27th we are flying to Honolulu for a more city atmosphere.

27th night we fly out.
Whoops

Yes I was talking about the Maui one. Either way we will be in Waikiki. How is this hotel there?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Unfortunately, unless you wanted what is essentially an attached room with a Murphy bed, it may not have been worth the effort.

My understanding is like Mary's, that the majority of the Diamond upgrade suites are in the Ewa tower. Given that the Regency Club has been moved to the third floor, if access to that is important to you I don't think which tower you're in matters all that much. It's not more than a couple minutes walk from one tower to the other on the third floor that the club is on. Not really an issue, IMO.

As for the next suite 'up,' I suspect it won't matter a lot for you. It was years of frequenting this property before I saw anything above the standard suite. This hotel has a number of regular customers, as Mary addressed earlier in this thread, and it seems to usually be those long-time customers who are treated to something more than the standard suite.

Having said that, the 'standard' is two rooms, high up, dead-on ocean front. And there ain't nothin' wrong with that! One of the best ocean views in Waikiki. I hope you enjoy!
Just got into the room after about a 90 minute wait I the lounge and it's exactly how you guys described it except we are in the diamond head tower. Not the best suite I've seen but my wife loves the view.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What the heck...most dates in August are now not even available with Guaranteed Availability?

I guess I'm gonna be stuck with the Waikiki View room that I booked?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hailstorm
What the heck...most dates in August are now not even available with Guaranteed Availability?

I guess I'm gonna be stuck with the Waikiki View room that I booked?
I would guess not - sometimes you get the best upgrades when property is full if they handle elite room booking right.

Years ago we got a suite upgrade at PH Vendome for free on a points stay because the hotel was full due to Med summit with some heads of states staying at the hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peteropny
I would guess not - sometimes you get the best upgrades when property is full if they handle elite room booking right.
I agree. I've stayed there a bunch of times when the hotel is sold out. It seems to mean that the Japanese tour operators have packed the place. And that's good, as a lot of them are on package deals that include ROH rooms, so the hotel has no obligation to put them in the same categories they assign to Diamond members. For me Sold Out has never equaled a bad room assignment. (When booking a standard room, anyway -- different story a couple times on a Diamond suite upgrade - their options were just so limited from that pool.)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Years ago we got a suite upgrade at PH Vendome for free on a points stay because the hotel was full due to Med summit with some heads of states staying at the hotel.
Thanks. I do feel better about our situation after Hannah contacted me. I doubt that we'll get a suite, but at least I'm pretty sure that we won't be facing a dumpster.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Thanks. I do feel better about our situation after Hannah contacted me. I doubt that we'll get a suite, but at least I'm pretty sure that we won't be facing a dumpster.
Your in good hands!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We did okay.

We had a two night stay last week, and a one night stay last night. These were our first ever experiences at the HRW. All nights were booked at the My Elite Rate for the cheapest room (Waikiki View)

First night we were upgraded to a ocean view room on the 21st floor of the Diamond Tower. Old design, but more than sufficient for our needs.

The second night we moved to a renovated ocean view room on the 39th floor of the Ewa Tower. We enjoyed the new design and the larger lanais afforded to the top two floors, and I would have been more than satisfied if this was the best room we would get.

But last night, we spent the night in Ewa Tower room 3905. Also known as the Ulukou Room. Also known as a FATHER MUCKING PRESIDENTIAL PENTHOUSE SUITE!!!

So...yeah, I kinda like this hotel now.

Will try to gets pics up on my blog soon.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Those of us posting in this thread who have received these beautiful suites are long time and regular customers.
Here's one data point to the contrary.

Last edited by hailstorm; Aug 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
As a data point, a few weeks ago I had 2 rooms booked, both rooms different Diamond members (myself and a family member) booked as a Waikiki View MER sub $190 per night.

We arrived just prior to 9am after a flight from Sydney, and the check in process was promptly finalised, baggage taken care of and access keys to the lounge to wait for the allocated rooms to be ready (the hotel was 100% occupancy the first 3 of our 5 nights, and not much less the final 2 nights). At 10am one of the lounge staff advised us that the rooms we had been allocated might still be a few more hours before being available and offered us 2059 & 2060 to go to immediately. Knowing that you cannot get any better in regards to a beachfront view than those rooms in the Diamond tower we took them (we were tired). We were told that the rooms we were originally going into were the same but on the higher floors, around 35-36 I think.

We were also offered both the points amenity AND a food & drink item as well. For which we were very appreciative, especially given how early we arrived.

10 days later we had a 1 night stay on our way back from Seattle to a Sydney flight the next morning, just 1 room this time, and as per previous we arrived quite early. Check-in was rather unusual as there was a fair bit of back and forth chatter with the desk clerk and a supervisor, for which we later found out we had been allocated one of the suites (not sure which one) but the guest who was in that room had a late check-out already locked in so were given a few options as to what rooms we could have. We opted for 3954 in the Diamond Tower which was more than fine as we went straight out again and left very early the following morning.

Overall, both stays were absolutely amazing, we have already booked 2 more trips next year, and will also look at staying at some of the other Hyatt properties on neighbouring islands on the same trips. Having never stayed at the HRW previously, we were treated as if it was a second home. My mother (who had the second room) was so impressed she said regardless of rate she will be staying there going forward having previously stayed at the nearby Hyatt Place for 10 nights several months ago (that was mainly due to the grandkids travelling as well and wanting the family style room with 2 beds and a large pull out sofa bed)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by hailstorm; Aug 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm Reason: picture embedding didn't seem to work.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
We did okay.

We had a two night stay last week, and a one night stay last night. These were our first ever experiences at the HRW. All nights were booked at the My Elite Rate for the cheapest room (Waikiki View)

First night we were upgraded to a ocean view room on the 21st floor of the Diamond Tower. Old design, but more than sufficient for our needs.

The second night we moved to a renovated ocean view room on the 39th floor of the Ewa Tower. We enjoyed the new design and the larger lanais afforded to the top two floors, and I would have been more than satisfied if this was the best room we would get.

But last night, we spent the night in Ewa Tower room 3905. Also known as the Ulukou Room. Also known as a FATHER MUCKING PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!!!

So...yeah, I kinda like this hotel now.

Will try to gets pics up on my blog soon.

Here's one data point to the contrary.
It happens. I heard they're really booked up for August.

But you moved 3 times in 3 days? I've moved after 1 night to spend the rest of a 5-9 night stay in a nicer suite, but I'd never move 3 times in 3 days.

The EWA tower suites are just about copies of the Diamond Head Tower suites. I believe the "real" presidential suite is in Diamond Head tower on 40 and was next door to our last room.

What you got is STILL a pretty good upgrade ^^

Last edited by Mary2e; Aug 12, 2014 at 8:02 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:51 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We did okay.

But last night, we spent the night in Ewa Tower room 3905. Also known as the Ulukou Room. Also known as a FATHER MUCKING PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!!!
I told you so . Often times the best upgrades are when the property is full.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It happens. I heard they're really booked up for August.

But you moved 3 times in 3 days? I've moved after 1 night to spend the rest of a 5-9 night stay in a nicer suite, but I'd never move 3 times in 3 days.
The last night was a separate stay nearly a week later.

We did two nights at HRW, one night at HHV, three nigts at Andaz Maui, two nights at Grand Wailea, and the final night before catching a morning flight back to Japan back at HRW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.