Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Shore was only an option when the club was closed Anytime there is a RC that's your breakfast ! For better or worse.
I was here in March, and wasn't charged for Shore, and I'm pretty sure the Regency Club was opened by then. Looking back it may have been the hotel making exceptions since the Front Office Manager than dealt with my issue a while back emailed me before the stay, so she may have set something up.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Frindle
I was here in March, and wasn't charged for Shore, and I'm pretty sure the Regency Club was opened by then. Looking back it may have been the hotel making exceptions since the Front Office Manager than dealt with my issue a while back emailed me before the stay, so she may have set something up.
From all the reports the hotel spun out of control or close to it at one point. Let's all hope the new ownership turns the ship!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I had access to the Regency Club all day. Shor breakfast was never included unless the club was closed.

It is very possible the person at the front desk didn't know what they were talking about
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I had access to the Regency Club all day. Shor breakfast was never included unless the club was closed.

It is very possible the person at the front desk didn't know what they were talking about
agree, by the by anyone staying at the HR in Sacramento, the new RC has opened on the 12th floor, pretty nice has huge outside terrace lots of tables chairs and lounges, breakfast pretty lame as usual for them so i ate downstairs which has a great breakfast restaurant
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:08 pm

Just a data point, in case anyone finds it helpful: just completed a six night stay, booked a No Balcony Access room, upgraded to 35th floor Waikiki View (hotel was sold out several nights of the stay), resort fee waived. Mark and Cary in the lounge are great, as always. We're always pleasantly surprised by the complimentary alcoholic drinks in the lounge for diamonds (despite the posted prices) - every year we feel like it's bound to change by the next time we're back.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jxwo
Just a data point, in case anyone finds it helpful: just completed a six night stay, booked a No Balcony Access room, upgraded to 35th floor Waikiki View (hotel was sold out several nights of the stay), resort fee waived. Mark and Cary in the lounge are great, as always. We're always pleasantly surprised by the complimentary alcoholic drinks in the lounge for diamonds (despite the posted prices) - every year we feel like it's bound to change by the next time we're back.
so you know that "comp" drinks is du jour somedays some people not so "free"
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:32 pm

Am here now so will add my two or three cents to the thread. Definitely happy I didn't go for the family suite. Rooms are basic and large enough and the bathroom is quite small, cramped, poor water pressure. So I wouldn't want to pay extra for a double room like this. We are in Ewa tower. Beds are comfortable and view is good (upgraded as diamond to ocean view) but otherwise there really is nothing nice about the rooms, only the facility and location are really good. No construction happening now, elevators still a little slow, service is pretty good. Regency Club, as others have stated, is very informal and family oriented (they barely seem to check who enters) and the food and beverage offerings are not bad but nothing special-- good soup and desserts when we were here. They allowed us to eat diamond breakfast at Shor (I wasn't sure so I called front desk and manager said it is not included but comped us anyway) and the buffet was good but not outstanding; some interesting tropical fruits. And BTW, booze is free to diamonds during happy hour at least, not just comped to some according to the rep. They should charge it to your room and then comp it off the bill if you are diamond. All in all not the best HR I've ever been in, but an enjoyable place to spend a few days and pretty decent value for the overinflated prices and older properties of Honolulu. If I weren't diamond however I doubt I would stay here...
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
Am here now so will add my two or three cents to the thread. Definitely happy I didn't go for the family suite. Rooms are basic and large enough and the bathroom is quite small, cramped, poor water pressure. So I wouldn't want to pay extra for a double room like this. We are in Ewa tower. Beds are comfortable and view is good (upgraded as diamond to ocean view) but otherwise there really is nothing nice about the rooms, only the facility and location are really good. No construction happening now, elevators still a little slow, service is pretty good. Regency Club, as others have stated, is very informal and family oriented (they barely seem to check who enters) and the food and beverage offerings are not bad but nothing special-- good soup and desserts when we were here. They allowed us to eat diamond breakfast at Shor (I wasn't sure so I called front desk and manager said it is not included but comped us anyway) and the buffet was good but not outstanding; some interesting tropical fruits. And BTW, booze is free to diamonds during happy hour at least, not just comped to some according to the rep. They should charge it to your room and then comp it off the bill if you are diamond. All in all not the best HR I've ever been in, but an enjoyable place to spend a few days and pretty decent value for the overinflated prices and older properties of Honolulu. If I weren't diamond however I doubt I would stay here...
Thanks and pretty much what i would have expected. Rooms have been going downhill for years, nothing new there, elevators slow, again that has been that way for years and years. RC is basically open to all, nothing new there either.

So far nothing has been done to upgrade but it's only been a short time. i think even as a Diamond I might stay elsewhere. Hate being disappointed
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
We're staying in both the Penthouse Suite and Family Ocean Suite when we visit this property.

We were given the following option for our time in the Family Ocean Suite: Either one king bed in the Ewa Tower or 2 Queens in the Diamondhead tower.

Is there a significant difference between the two towers? We prefer a king but is getting to the Regency Club from the Ewa Tower annoying? Anything else to take into consideration?

Thanks,
Pete
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Peatisback
Is there a significant difference between the two towers? We prefer a king but is getting to the Regency Club from the Ewa Tower annoying? Anything else to take into consideration?
I think the most important difference to be aware of is that in the Ewa tower, the ocean view will be obstructed by other buildings, so you'd want to be on a very high floor. In the Diamond Head tower, even the lower floors (say, 10 and up) will have an unobstructed view (xx59/60 rooms).

The trek to the club is marginally longer from the Ewa tower, but given the sometimes excessive elevator wait times, this is what you'll be cursing most, not the walk to the other tower.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpdx
I think the most important difference to be aware of is that in the Ewa tower, the ocean view will be obstructed by other buildings, so you'd want to be on a very high floor. In the Diamond Head tower, even the lower floors (say, 10 and up) will have an unobstructed view (xx59/60 rooms).

The trek to the club is marginally longer from the Ewa tower, but given the sometimes excessive elevator wait times, this is what you'll be cursing most, not the walk to the other tower.
In my view, this advice is right on the money. View is more assured in the DH tower and unless someone in your group is physically challenged, the walk between the towers to the club is really a non-issue.

In either tower, if the hotel is busy the elevators are the big drag. I just hope you don't get stuck in one -- as I did once.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but when the hotel is very busy, they have elevator "stuffers" on the first 2 floors I do believe it kept them moving a bit better, but many people on the lower floors often got shut out on the way down. I was happy to be on 39
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but when the hotel is very busy, they have elevator "stuffers" on the first 2 floors
OMG, not in a million years.

After being stuck in one for entirely too long, they told me it was the first time it's ever happened. I've witnessed it two more times since and I'm at this property only a week or two each year. I just won't do a packed elevator here. I'd sooner use the stairs -- and have.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my view, this advice is right on the money. View is more assured in the DH tower and unless someone in your group is physically challenged, the walk between the towers to the club is really a non-issue.

In either tower, if the hotel is busy the elevators are the big drag. I just hope you don't get stuck in one -- as I did once.
Got stuck in one for 15+ minutes, by myself.
Elevator phone didn't work. At the time it stuck it made a loud crashing sound.
It was very hot in there.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Got stuck in one for 15+ minutes, by myself.
Elevator phone didn't work. At the time it stuck it made a loud crashing sound.
It was very hot in there.
Oh man. . . flashbacks.

We were 30-45 minutes, as I recall. Two of us with four Japanese people who didn't speak a word of English. Two of them in their 90s. We were all headed to breakfast. Loud crashing sound, followed by jerks up a half a floor, then down a half a floor. A little mini 'Tower of Terror.' Then it stopped between two floors. The air went off and it got incredibly hot. Phone didn't work. I was pushing the bell periodically (in between trying to find my happy place through meditation) and a fireman was finally yelling at us from the floor above or below us. Then the elevator suddenly re-started, kicked a couple times, moved a bit and then opened on a floor. We bailed out and hiked back up the stairs to our room. No more interest in breakfast. I cannot imagine that experience in a packed elevator (which is what started all this). I will absolutely never be in that situation at this property, and have walked off a packed elevator several times since. And have never again been on that particular elevator.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.