Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I stay here a couple of time per year. I have always enjoyed my stays at the HR Waikiki. Of course the nice lounge and the super welcoming staff there play a large part of that. Waiving the resort fee as a diamond was really, really appreciated and made me feel special as opposed to the normal feeling of robbed that a resort fee tends to leave me with.

I know that I have never considered staying elsewhere because I knew that the resort fee waiver and the lounge were hard to beat. Now that they're going to charge the resort fee, other hotel options will be at play. Not saying I'll won't stay there again but other options will be on the table in the future. Maybe somewhere with a nicer pool?

I have no illusions that they'd miss my couple of thousand per year. I keep hearing about all the regulations that crush us... we'll I wish the government would regulate resort fees to death
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renard
I stay here a couple of time per year. I have always enjoyed my stays at the HR Waikiki. Of course the nice lounge and the super welcoming staff there play a large part of that. Waiving the resort fee as a diamond was really, really appreciated and made me feel special as opposed to the normal feeling of robbed that a resort fee tends to leave me with.

I know that I have never considered staying elsewhere because I knew that the resort fee waiver and the lounge were hard to beat. Now that they're going to charge the resort fee, other hotel options will be at play. Not saying I'll won't stay there again but other options will be on the table in the future. Maybe somewhere with a nicer pool?
You must try the Hilton Hawaiian Village at least once...

I have no illusions that they'd miss my couple of thousand per year. I keep hearing about all the regulations that crush us... we'll I wish the government would regulate resort fees to death
If resort fees were banned tomorrow, they'd just tack that money on to the room rate.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hailstorm
If resort fees were banned tomorrow, they'd just tack that money on to the room rate.
They might or might not, depending on the competitive landscape. And if they did, at least that would make for fair comparison across properties. As it stands, resort fees reflect a hidden cost and offer an unfair competitive advantage to the properties that assess it.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hailstorm
You must try the Hilton Hawaiian Village at least once...

If you stay in the Ali'i Towers while not what they use to be the private pool and upgraded rooms, and quiet is well worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Oops.... put in the wrong welcome letter. I had back to back stays at HR Waikiki and Maui. Sorry.

I actually received a letter from Waikiki .... it seemed to be about lowering expectations and not about diamond benefits.

"Glad to see that you are joining us again! We are holding a reservation for your arrival on Jan X for XX nights in our Waikiki City View. Of course, we do our best to upgrade our Diamond Members based on availability at time of check-in.

Due to recent storms and floods in the Waikiki area, you may see our public areas undergoing minimal restoration. Please pardon our dust as we work hard to complete this project! Let me know if you need anything for your upcoming visit! What time do you expect to arrive at the resort?
"

Last edited by Renard; Jan 4, 2016 at 12:40 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:07 pm

Here is an excerpt from the new welcome letter... I have a stay early in the new year. $10 resort fee discount... I don't know if this is news or not... It's better than paying the whole thing but still stinks. I just love how Hawaii hotels see the opportunity to sell us more stuff as an 'enhanced benefit'

Notice the replacement from post 1215 of the complimentary cocktails in the regency club with complimentary club access. Oh how generous! Does fulfilling corporate defined GP Diamond benefits now constitute an 'enhanced benefit'?

"As a valued Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, you’ll enjoy the following enhanced benefits:
• $10 discount on nightly resort fee.
• Complimentary Regency Club Access
• Complimentary Spa Access
• Happy hour pricing all day at ‘Umalu bar (10am – 12 midnight).
• $50 discount per couple on a 60-minute Maui helicopter tour. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Complimentary spa upgrade with purchase of a 50-minute massage at Kamaha’o, a Marilyn Monroe Spa. Visit the spa or dial 4500 to book.
• $10 discount on full day cabana rentals. Visit the pool desk or dial 3225 to book.
• Complimentary tennis racket rental while playing at Hyatt Tennis Center.
• $5 discount per person on Tour of the Stars, rooftop astronomy program for you and your party. Visit Hyatt Concierge or dial 4727 to book.
• Prioritized valet parking service.
• Complimentary Ka’anapali Pie at Japengo with the purchase of an entrée. Limit one per party.
• 20% discount on general admission to Drums of the Pacific Luau. Only available at www.drumsofthepacificmaui.com. Enter promo code: STAYHYATT
• Complimentary rental clubs with purchase of multiple round package at Ka’anapali Golf Courses; 15% discount on lesson with PGA Professional and 15% discount on non-sale apparel in logo shop."

As I have said all along it's a fact of life when hotels are owned by VC firms, Blackstone is notorious for bleeding the properties.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Could this be for HR Maui?

This sure sounds like HR Maui rather than HR Waikiki.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Just left the HR Maui today - so yeah, that's it.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Another Benefit Gone

First time here since Septmember. Was told at lounge today that the complimentary alcohol is only for the diamond member, meaning only me. Not for my wife. I can understand some peeps brining friends into the lounge and abusing the benefit in the past, but this really sucks.
This property is getting worse day by day.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by qmiles321
First time here since Septmember. Was told at lounge today that the complimentary alcohol is only for the diamond member, meaning only me. Not for my wife. I can understand some peeps brining friends into the lounge and abusing the benefit in the past, but this really sucks.
This property is getting worse day by day.
Is there no discount for the resort fee? We have a stay at this property soon, and I received an email from the VIP Manager listing the benefits. No mention of the resort fee.

As a valued Diamond member, we hope you'll enjoy the following enhanced benefits:
Following is a list of enhanced benefits you’ll receive as a valued Diamond Member:

- • A welcome lei upon arrival
- • Complimentary cocktails at the Regency Club lounge
- • 20% off pool cabana rentals
- • 15% orders at Kai Coffee
- • 15% off Na Ho’ola Spa retail items
- • 15% off food orders from SHOR, SWIM, & Japengo
- • Extended happy hour at SWIM pool bar to 4 p.m.-7 p.m.
- • Express check-in line on the far left of the front desk
- • Special offers from Star Beachboys concession on Waikiki beach
- • $25 off a minimum two-day car rental from Hertz Rent-a-Car
- • 24 hour texting service for anything and anytime 808-518-2844
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
We're checking out today (1/1/16) so resort fee is waived.
Any reservations checking out after 1/1/16 is subject to the resort fee.
They have great staff, but diamond benefits are being cut back a lot.

Originally Posted by Southdown13
Is there no discount for the resort fee? We have a stay at this property soon, and I received an email from the VIP Manager listing the benefits. No mention of the resort fee.

As a valued Diamond member, we hope you'll enjoy the following enhanced benefits:
Following is a list of enhanced benefits you’ll receive as a valued Diamond Member:

- • A welcome lei upon arrival
- • Complimentary cocktails at the Regency Club lounge
- • 20% off pool cabana rentals
- • 15% orders at Kai Coffee
- • 15% off Na Ho’ola Spa retail items
- • 15% off food orders from SHOR, SWIM, & Japengo
- • Extended happy hour at SWIM pool bar to 4 p.m.-7 p.m.
- • Express check-in line on the far left of the front desk
- • Special offers from Star Beachboys concession on Waikiki beach
- • $25 off a minimum two-day car rental from Hertz Rent-a-Car
- • 24 hour texting service for anything and anytime 808-518-2844
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by qmiles321
We're checking out today (1/1/16) so resort fee is waived.
Any reservations checking out after 1/1/16 is subject to the resort fee.
They have great staff, but diamond benefits are being cut back a lot.
We should all get use to it especially Blackstone and any VC owned property. Thankfully international is not being affected, so far ! This property has been in a downward spiral for many years.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Has the hotel started charging the resort fee to diamond members yet?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Has the hotel started charging the resort fee to diamond members yet?
I am waiting for confirmation on this too as I have a reservation here end of Jan, if the resort fee is charged for Diamonds I will simply cancel the reservation in favor of another property, no biggie but would be nice to know...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
I am waiting for confirmation on this too as I have a reservation here end of Jan, if the resort fee is charged for Diamonds I will simply cancel the reservation in favor of another property, no biggie but would be nice to know...
As I mentioned in the previous posts, you will be charged the resort fee since you are checking out after 1/1/16. I am sure there is a chance they may waive it for you as a "one time courtesy" since many diamonds returning this year do not know about the resort fee being mandatory now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.