Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Old Jun 6, 15, 1:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missmelon437 View Post
For my upcoming trip (Tuesday), I called to see if they could combine my points reservation with my DSU reservation. They did this for me at the Andaz in Maui, so thought I could try again.

This time, no such luck, probably because it's a longer stay. However, they did offer me cash & points without having to use any additional DSU and I took it. Is this common?
Perhaps they offered you a Points+Cash rate so that they could include the additional nights into your DSU reservation? I know that Points+Cash rates can technically (based upon availability) be upgraded with a DSU, whereas a points reservation cannot.
Old Jun 16, 15, 12:32 pm

2 nights Hyatt Place (24000 pts) vs. HR (2 free night awards)

2 nights Hyatt Place (24000 pts) vs. HR (2 free night awards)?

Having trouble deciding on this one. This coming weekend. Must be Oahu. I will be with my 12 year old son. I know the location of both very well -- but not the properties. (I'm a recent convert from SPG.) I'm Platinum. 30% chance I'll have use for 2 free nights at someplace nicer before they expire. Have HP reserved. Cancellation deadline approaching. I welcome your guidance.

Really appreciate the help.

Matthew
Old Jun 16, 15, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Matthew53 View Post

Having trouble deciding on this one. This coming weekend. Must be Oahu. I will be with my 12 year old son. I know the location of both very well -- but not the properties. (I'm a recent convert from SPG.) I'm Platinum. 30% chance I'll have use for 2 free nights at someplace nicer before they expire. Have HP reserved. Cancellation deadline approaching. I welcome your guidance.

Matthew

HR DO NOT waste on HP poorly done reflag, "Motel 6 " style pool area,
Old Jun 16, 15, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold

Matthew
If you have a better option for the free nights later on, like a Cat 6 or 7, then stay in the HP. If they would otherwise go to waste, then move over to the HR.

EDIT: If you're enrolled in the 20% point rebate credit card bonus promotion, it might be a better idea to use points regardless of where you stay.
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
If you have a better option for the free nights later on, like a Cat 6 or 7, then stay in the HP. If they would otherwise go to waste, then move over to the HR.

EDIT: If you're enrolled in the 20% point rebate credit card bonus promotion, it might be a better idea to use points regardless of where you stay.
Have you seen or stayed at HP ? it's a dump
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
Have you seen or stayed at HP ? it's a dump
I've seen it. It's no Hyatt Regency Waikiki, but it's a clean place to sleep, and if you plan to spend most of your two nights sightseeing rather than lounging on the premises, then it's a valid option for saving some points.

Note: I would advise otherwise if the poster were a Diamond.
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:32 pm

Thanks all for your help. For better or worse, I've just cancelled HP (24000 points returned to my account) and used my 2 free night awards for HR. Cancellation deadline was upon me. No turning back now.

Matthew
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for your help. For better or worse, I've just cancelled HP (24000 points returned to my account) and used my 2 free night awards for HR. Cancellation deadline was upon me. No turning back now.

Matthew
Certainly not a bad choice. You're closer to the ocean and shopping areas, and it is a nicer place than HP. Enjoy!
Old Jun 17, 15, 8:24 am

Matthew
You will enjoy and when your there walk down the street to the HP and let us know your thoughts versus HR.
Old Jun 18, 15, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, SW A-List & CP

Matthew
Also evaluated the two and if you're going for vacation, the HR is really spectacular. Location can't be beat. If you score an Ocean Front room...it'll blow your mind.
Old Jun 18, 15, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, SW A-List & CP
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Was you points reservation for a regular room and not a suite? If so, I can understand them not combining them and allowing you to stay in the same room the whole time.

If it was for a suite, perhaps they misunderstood IF you only wanted to make sure you didn't have to change suites.

This hotel has had to really crack down on their freebies. In the past they would have just let you stay in a suite if you had a regular room booked on points afterwards.

Just got back from my trip. Loved my ocean front suite in the Diamond Head tower, room 3359/3360. The two rooms is a bit weird, but actually worked out perfectly since we had friends stay with us.

I think they provided points plus cash vs. straight points in order to extend the DSU courtesy, which I thought was very kind.

Their RC is so awesome. One of the best I've been in - free lunch & dinner for the first two days we were there. Definitely offset the cost of parking, etc., My friend, who stayed with us, used his room key to park his car and there was no additional cost.
Old Jul 12, 15, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Just checked in as a diamond. Room isn't ready but it seems it'll be the usual upgrade. As a diamond I got a card with the following benefits

Welcome lei
Waived resort fee
Club access
Express valet service
20% off pool cabana rentals
15% off food orders
15% off coffee
15% off some purchases
Extended happy hour
Massage special
$25 off 2 day or more car rental

For me, the resort fee waived and club access is the best perks. I also was able to get free self Park and between those 3 options it's saving me a bunch on my trip.
Old Jul 12, 15, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
Just checked in as a diamond. Room isn't ready but it seems it'll be the usual upgrade. As a diamond I got a card with the following benefits

Welcome lei
Waived resort fee
Club access
Express valet service
20% off pool cabana rentals
15% off food orders
15% off coffee
15% off some purchases
Extended happy hour
Massage special
$25 off 2 day or more car rental

For me, the resort fee waived and club access is the best perks. I also was able to get free self Park and between those 3 options it's saving me a bunch on my trip.
How did you get free self parking?
Old Jul 12, 15, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by iherebyresign View Post
How did you get free self parking?
I asked nicely
Plus my room wasnt ready and had to wait a few hours.

I believe the usual discount is 50% off for diamonds for self Park
Old Aug 2, 15, 11:42 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
Diamond Amenities as of Aug 2015

Hey folks. I've been corresponding with Melody who has been quite proactive to make sure my upcoming weekend trip, turned parents crashing with me, so they'll be checking in a day before me, goes smoothly. She has confirmed an OF King and noted a rollaway bed because OF Doubles are sold out.

I checked out the graphic that shows OF, POF and Regency Club rooms. I guess I'm confused:

- What is the best available room type entitled to Diamonds on revenue stays? Does this change if the stay is P+C? Is there a separate OF Regency Club level category versus OF non-Regency Club level?
- 4 PM late checkout hasn't been guaranteed, but 2 PM late checkout is. Is this normal as a "resort property"?
- Any thoughts on the welcome amenity: food/wine vs. points? I imagine that the Regency Club spread makes the welcome amenity a moot point in this discussion.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Search this Thread