Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Old Apr 25, 15, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
This hotel has always treated me well, including a POV room (even though I reserved the cheapest possible room) and club access ... years ago when I was still a Platinum. Still, I absolutely would _not_ expect anything above the paid-for room. This is usually a very busy hotel.
that about sums it up ! Even as a Diamond I try never to get my hopes up even after all these years. When my company had a corporate agreement with this hotel it was no better, other than I had a name to call.
Old May 8, 15, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
The property continues to offer high level of services and upgrades when possible while it awaits the arrival of the new VIP services manager. Inbound from the mainland later this month. Staff is aware of the gap created by the recent loss of member to Hyatt corporate. All is well here at the HR Waikiki.
Old May 9, 15, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
The property continues to offer high level of services and upgrades when possible while it awaits the arrival of the new VIP services manager. Inbound from the mainland later this month. Staff is aware of the gap created by the recent loss of member to Hyatt corporate. All is well here at the HR Waikiki.
you know I am not totally inline with your assessment and that is based on staying her for over 25 years. I have seen a steady decline however it has gotten a tie bit better of late. Certainly the RC move to the pool deck was much appreciated by all. Food service continues to be an issue, oh for the days of the Colony, as a long time Diamond and known to the staff I still find upgrades less meaningful. And the new carpet is worst than the first time they changed it !!

Having said all that as long as Barbara and Mark are there All's Good!
Old May 9, 15, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Agreed. This place has old bones. Not that old is bad but this has not been kept up for so many years and the continued investment to improve is limited. We are here for the people and possibility of upgrade if available. I think the lounge is the best in town over the Sheraton and Hilton. Also feel for price competitive and they seem to adjust rates to market demand so always recheck one week out. If we want true oceanfront and historic charm that can be found at SPG properties. The HHV is not a real option for us given the location.
Old May 9, 15, 11:35 am

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, both on business while enroute to Japan and for leisure and I continue to have issues with room assignments even as a Diamond. The hotel does NOT abide to Hyatt GP T&Cs regarding assigning Diamonds to the best available room. Good room, yes, best room, no. I have even called out the Front Desk on this, showing several Ocean Front rooms available for sale online but was told directly they were only available for "purchase," not as Diamond "upgrades." And I was on a paid Hyatt rate. The hotel does have one of the better Clubs and a generally excellent staff. But at the end of the day it is a mass-market hotel catering to large foreign groups where the loyalty of an individual traveler is a secondary consideration.
Old May 9, 15, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
Agreed. This place has old bones. Not that old is bad but this has not been kept up for so many years and the continued investment to improve is limited. We are here for the people and possibility of upgrade if available. I think the lounge is the best in town over the Sheraton and Hilton. Also feel for price competitive and they seem to adjust rates to market demand so always recheck one week out. If we want true oceanfront and historic charm that can be found at SPG properties. The HHV is not a real option for us given the location.
your correct on ocean front, sadly the Westin has declined as well over the years. But then really what hotel hasn't other the H and even that one has lost a little luster. but their restaurant is still one of the best ocean front.

Lounge is hands down the best, when the HHV move from the Ali'i Towers that lost it for me. The "girls" were the best in town, other than Mark of course.
Old May 10, 15, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, both on business while enroute to Japan and for leisure and I continue to have issues with room assignments even as a Diamond. The hotel does NOT abide to Hyatt GP T&Cs regarding assigning Diamonds to the best available room. Good room, yes, best room, no. I have even called out the Front Desk on this, showing several Ocean Front rooms available for sale online but was told directly they were only available for "purchase," not as Diamond "upgrades." And I was on a paid Hyatt rate. The hotel does have one of the better Clubs and a generally excellent staff. But at the end of the day it is a mass-market hotel catering to large foreign groups where the loyalty of an individual traveler is a secondary consideration.
Not my experience, have been upgraded to penthouse on several occasions and almost always get suite upgrade facing ocean views. They also over hospitality room till 8 pm. For late flight.
Old May 10, 15, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by karung99 View Post
Not my experience, have been upgraded to penthouse on several occasions and almost always get suite upgrade facing ocean views. They also over hospitality room till 8 pm. For late flight.
Well your the fortunate one here ! In 25 years or so I have never been upgraded to the penthouse. And I agree with the poster room assignments is hit or miss. I use to have a special corporate rate with this location and still had issues! The better rooms tend to go to the Asian travelers like it or not that's their market.

I get far better upgrades at the PHV
Old May 10, 15, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, WN Companion,Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
Well your the fortunate one here ! In 25 years or so I have never been upgraded to the penthouse. And I agree with the poster room assignments is hit or miss. I use to have a special corporate rate with this location and still had issues! The better rooms tend to go to the Asian travelers like it or not that's their market.

I get far better upgrades at the PHV
I've gotten the penthouse and ocean front rooms. Once I got a mountain view because the hotel squezzed me in on a sellout night.

This hotel has treated me well the past 3 years.
Old May 10, 15, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
I've gotten the penthouse and ocean front rooms. Once I got a mountain view because the hotel squezzed me in on a sellout night.

This hotel has treated me well the past 3 years.
As I have said I am happy and not complaining that I have not gotten a PH or such. Hyatt takes great care of me with their "private concierge" service and across the boards at Park's. But the PC is the best. But then I pound down a lot of room nights each year and I don't stay in the broom closet!
Old May 10, 15, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
I've only stayed there twice. The first time we were in a 39th floor room next to the Ulukou room. I shot Hannah a mail and asked "What kind of room is that? It must be very nice!"

When we returned for an overnighter the following week, she put us in that very Penthouse Suite room.

Good things come to those who ask nicely, not necessarily to those who wait.
Old May 14, 15, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PLT; Globalist
First time here after reading about others' experience on this thread. we had two rooms with DSU which had us in two different towers but ocean facing. they proactively offered to move one to the penthouse suite which we gladly accepted. the regular "suite" is sort of odd (now I understand the comments here) but it worked fine for a couple and adult daughter in the regular suite. Lounge in the evening was fairly crowded but this morning for breakfast was about third full and had adequate offerings for us. hotel is very busy and elevator lines forming now and then. Line to Shor was quite long for breakfast and glad we didn't have to be in that line. staff responsive and the front desk person even called us at 6 pm when going off shift to make sure we were doing fine.

p.s. did comp resort fee for Diamonds per list of Diamond amenities.
Old May 15, 15, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2 View Post
First time here after reading about others' experience on this thread. we had two rooms with DSU which had us in two different towers but ocean facing. they proactively offered to move one to the penthouse suite which we gladly accepted. the regular "suite" is sort of odd (now I understand the comments here) but it worked fine for a couple and adult daughter in the regular suite. Lounge in the evening was fairly crowded but this morning for breakfast was about third full and had adequate offerings for us. hotel is very busy and elevator lines forming now and then. Line to Shor was quite long for breakfast and glad we didn't have to be in that line. staff responsive and the front desk person even called us at 6 pm when going off shift to make sure we were doing fine.

p.s. did comp resort fee for Diamonds per list of Diamond amenities.

Long lines for breakfast and elevators is normal for Hawaiian hotels
Old May 15, 15, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Long lines for breakfast and elevators is normal for Hawaiian hotels
Maybe Waikiki hotels. I've never waited long for either in Maui or the Big Island.
Old May 15, 15, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Maybe Waikiki hotels. I've never waited long for either in Maui or the Big Island.
thats what I was referring to when you get away from Oahu things change different demographics

Search this Thread