Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I used to eat at the Colony. For me, the prices at Shor were too high, so I never ate there. Maybe others felt the same way.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I ate at dinner at Shore once and didn't return because the prices seemed too high.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I ate at dinner at Shore once and didn't return because the prices seemed too high.
Even with the Diamond discount?

A hotel restaurant is a hard sell in Waikiki. There is just so much out there to compete with. Taking into account must-do eating activities for us (Tanaka of Tokyo, Eggs 'n Things, ramen burger, etc.) as well as the free lounge food, there was literally no occasion to even consider eating there.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Barbara will be fine. I asked her and she is pretty senior.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by thekaica
Barbara will be fine. I asked her and she is pretty senior.
actually she is one of the original employees ! I have been going there for over 25 years

Sad this hotel was never the same after the gentleman from Japan sold it to GS years ago.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Most things are not the same after GS.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Most things are not the same after GS.
True oh were the days of the limo service and the Colony.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
And Bagwells 2424!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Never ordered room service, so I won't miss it.

Had a great sushi dinner at Japengo in December. Service was ok, but the food was excellent. Sorry to hear that it'll be closing.
On my last visit, I noticed the room service menu had changed significantly. I didn't like it at all. Food choices at this property have gone way down. I also detest staff ignoring DND signs and the housekeepers here are the worst. Not as nice as before all around.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
We enjoyed the happy hour menu at Japengo which goes from 5:30 PM to 7 PM. A little over $50 all in for two of us.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
On my last visit, I noticed the room service menu had changed significantly. I didn't like it at all. Food choices at this property have gone way down. I also detest staff ignoring DND signs and the housekeepers here are the worst. Not as nice as before all around.
On goes the downward march of a once really pleasant hotel to stay in.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by edgewood49
On goes the downward march of a once really pleasant hotel to stay in.
Unfortunately yes. It makes me really sad as we have a lot of good memories here. There are still a few things that give it an "edge" the biggest being the no resort fee for Diamonds, which really helps with the pricing over the Sheraton Properties. The two main reasons we stay at the hotel:

1. Diamond Status
2. Barbara at the Pool

Last time I did stay the PK. Half the price even with resort fee - I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but the room was just fine, upgraded to nice Ocean View as Platinum and I was ok with the resort charge since it included parking and I had a car on that trip. The hotel was also very accommodating with a 4pm check-out and just a small charge of $15 per hour for later than that (ended up doing 6pm). They also "surprised" me with coupons under the door for full-breakfast buffet - seems like a Platinum Fall Thank you. It was not my amenity.

The front desk staff at the PK also could not have been any friendlier.

It would have been almost $100 more for the HR and it just isn't worth it to me at that price point. I prefer going to the beach rather than the pool as the HR pool sucks (besides Barbara!).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
Unfortunately yes. It makes me really sad as we have a lot of good memories here. There are still a few things that give it an "edge" the biggest being the no resort fee for Diamonds, which really helps with the pricing over the Sheraton Properties. The two main reasons we stay at the hotel:

1. Diamond Status
2. Barbara at the Pool

Last time I did stay the PK. Half the price even with resort fee - I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but the room was just fine, upgraded to nice Ocean View as Platinum and I was ok with the resort charge since it included parking and I had a car on that trip. The hotel was also very accommodating with a 4pm check-out and just a small charge of $15 per hour for later than that (ended up doing 6pm). They also "surprised" me with coupons under the door for full-breakfast buffet - seems like a Platinum Fall Thank you. It was not my amenity.

The front desk staff at the PK also could not have been any friendlier.

It would have been almost $100 more for the HR and it just isn't worth it to me at that price point. I prefer going to the beach rather than the pool as the HR pool sucks (besides Barbara!).
I would add Mark to the list!

Limo for short runs
Barbara
Mark
The Colony

That's my list
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I would add Mark to the list!

Limo for short runs
Barbara
Mark
The Colony

That's my list
Yes. You are right. So 2 out of 4 are gone.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:10 pm

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Blackstone, the new owner seems to implement some cutbacks at the hotel. Starting Oct, Shor will be closed for dinner service, sushi bar @ Japengo will be closed, and room service will mostly be terminated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.