FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307244-hyatt-regency-waikiki-beach-resort-spa-review-master-thread.html)

crystak Sep 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Pjs100, I wouldn't move hotels simply because of the strike unless you really want the things that are 'closed'. The current employees will still be very helpful and will really do a lot to accommodate your needs, I can see why Mary2e loves this hotel :p.

edgewood49 Sep 11, 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by pjs100 (Post 17088705)
I checked the HHV, but seems they are full up as well, at least on the night of 16th, and moving for one day is a PITA.

Is the Hyatt Place open yet ?

RTWSTARALLIANCE Sep 11, 2011 8:04 am

Hello. Will those FTers onsite give constant updates in this post please. We are onsite soon and need to make some decisions. We are VERY interested in all the services provided normally by the Resort and extended to Diamonds esp the RC. The RC is one of the only reasons we changed from SPG to Hyatt in HNL. Thank you.

HNLbasedFlyer Sep 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by pjs100 (Post 17088698)
http://www.kitv.com/news/29122071/detail.html

Here is the link to the KITV on line article that says 7 days, evidently the contract expired over a year ago, and they called this 7 days stike in 4 cities to call attention. Also a video on line showing the picket line in front of the valet entrance. I spent a day trying to find a cheaper alternative to the $35 a day parking. Heard there is free parking along Ali Wai, (if you can find it) and on the other side of the zoo along Monsurat sp? but a long walk. Pacific Monarch for $12 a day? but lots of folks report problems with their car being towed 30 seconds after the parking pass expries. :-(

Waikiki Banyan is still $10/day. You always take a chance with street parking and someone breaking in.

Paid Parking at Waikiki BanyanOur paid parking options available from Security at the garage entrance are $10 for 24 hours and $60 for 7 days; both allow unlimited in and out and are available for both residents and non-residents. You pay for either of these options when you drive into the garage.

There is an overparking charge of $10 for every 24 hours, or any portion of that time, a car is parked past the expiration of its parking ticket. There is a lost ticket charge of $30. Note that there are no refunds of 24-hour or 7-day paid parking charges, so be sure of the option you want.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

I called the Front Desk today and it was not pretty. The lady talked about a possible settlement by Tuesday but not assured. When I asked about the RC and options for Diamond it got bad. In the end she wanted to know if she could "change" aka cancel my reservations.

mcgahat Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm

I guess I am lucky. I have a couple of reservations starting on the 17th of September and things should be calmed down by then. I also am only Platinum so I dont have any pesky Diamond upgrade issues to be concerned about. :p

RTWSTARALLIANCE Sep 12, 2011 6:02 am

We are on property very soon but not yet willing to count ourselves lucky. Gonna keep calling FD.

SF1K Sep 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Any body have any pictures of the new pool area?

Thanks!

Potreroflyr Sep 12, 2011 6:28 pm

No pool pics but...

I just spent yesterday afternoon lounging poolside and, as may have been indicated here already, it is still very much a work in progress. A plywood wall/barrier remains, only a few umbrellas (actually saw just one) -- I overheard a staffer say they were still on order. The bar adjoining the pool is relatively finished, but not yet opened -- it looks very nice. And yes, the pool is pretty small (seems smaller than the old one). Another staffer did come around with otter pops in the afternoon so that was a thoughtful touch.

But the strike is taking a toll. Despite enduring the chanting, pickets, closed RC (I had booked the club floor, but switched when I heard it was closed), limited menu at Shor...the FD was in no mood to accommodate a later (past 2p) check-out. If the clerk had said, "I'm sorry, but the staff just can't get all the rooms cleaned in time today," I would have been sympathetic. Instead, after checking with a supervisor, he said I could have a late check-out, but would have to pay for it.

I'm just a Plat, so I know I'm not entitled to much, but I thought that given the irregular operations, the hotel management might want to extend a gesture of accommodation to customers who chose to stick with them through the disturbance. So much for loyalty :td: Back to the Westin.

Update: After an email to the GM, the (Director?) rooms guy called to acknowledge the poor handling of my request. We more or less chalked it up to fill-in staff not doing as good a job as they should. I probably still wouldn't have gotten the late check-out, but it's good to know management acknowledges the shortcomings.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Sep 13, 2011 5:54 am

The feeling is the strike will end Wednesday night. Onsite FTers please keep us posted.

edgewood49 Sep 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr (Post 17098363)
I just spent yesterday afternoon lounging poolside and, as may have been indicated here already, it is still very much a work in progress. A plywood wall/barrier remains, only a few umbrellas (actually saw just one) -- I overheard a staffer say they were still on order. The bar adjoining the pool is relatively finished, but not yet opened -- it looks very nice. And yes, the pool is pretty small (seems smaller than the old one). Another staffer did come around with otter pops in the afternoon so that was a thoughtful touch.

But the strike is taking a toll. Despite enduring the chanting, pickets, closed RC (I had booked the club floor, but switched when I heard it was closed), limited menu at Shor...the FD was in no mood to accommodate a later (past 2p) check-out. If the clerk had said, "I'm sorry, but the staff just can't get all the rooms cleaned in time today," I would have been sympathetic. Instead, after checking with a supervisor, he said I could have a late check-out, but would have to pay for it.

I'm just a Plat, so I know I'm not entitled to much, but I thought that given the irregular operations, the hotel management might want to extend a gesture of accommodation to customers who chose to stick with them through the disturbance. So much for loyalty :td: Back to the Westin.

Update: After an email to the GM, the (Director?) rooms guy called to acknowledge the poor handling of my request. We more or less chalked it up to fill-in staff not doing as good a job as they should. I probably still wouldn't have gotten the late check-out, but it's good to know management acknowledges the shortcomings.

I think the new manager needs to step back and rethink his management direction that he has taken. Surely this property is and will continue to bleed loyal guest, myself being one of them.

One should not be surprised at the size of the pool as the whole property is being rapidly changed to conformed to the Asian market.

Having said that a seasoned traveler will rethink.

Just my opinion and I am a loyal Hyatt traveler, just totally disappointed in this property.

DCP913 Sep 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Disappointing

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 17090292)
Hello. Will those FTers onsite give constant updates in this post please. We are onsite soon and need to make some decisions. We are VERY interested in all the services provided normally by the Resort and extended to Diamonds esp the RC. The RC is one of the only reasons we changed from SPG to Hyatt in HNL. Thank you.

Been here many many times and just spent 2weeks there and quite disappointed because they were way below Hyatt standard in every area.............Strike should be over by Thursday, 15th and hopefully everything will be back to normal as they have a great staff................just disappointed that management didn't have a better plan for their so called repeat valued guests and those poor people who paid extra for Regency Club Access Rooms..............Thumbs down for treating us that way.

edgewood49 Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DCP913 (Post 17103583)
Been here many many times and just spent 2weeks there and quite disappointed because they were way below Hyatt standard in every area.............Strike should be over by Thursday, 15th and hopefully everything will be back to normal as they have a great staff................just disappointed that management didn't have a better plan for their so called repeat valued guests and those poor people who paid extra for Regency Club Access Rooms..............Thumbs down for treating us that way.

I think we all hope that someone from Hyatt reads this with some authority and does something about this. but then one can only hope.

mcgahat Sep 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Looks like employees returned from the strike as scheduled.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...129898008.html

RTWSTARALLIANCE Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm

I got a tepid message from the Hotel earlier today. But it was full of caution. Is it possible they will return to striking?