Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Just came back from a 6 night stay at this hotel. I used a confirmed suite upgrade for a ocean front room and a parlor. Overall, a great stay and enjoyed the RC in the mornings. On my last day I did notice something strange while leaving the RC. A couple was getting food (eggs, bacon, etc) from the Shor buffet and bringing this into the RC. I don't know if this is allowed but they were doing it anyways.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_Flyer
Just came back from a 6 night stay at this hotel. I used a confirmed suite upgrade for a ocean front room and a parlor. Overall, a great stay and enjoyed the RC in the mornings. On my last day I did notice something strange while leaving the RC. A couple was getting food (eggs, bacon, etc) from the Shor buffet and bringing this into the RC. I don't know if this is allowed but they were doing it anyways.
I would think most certainly not allowed. Maybe it was an honest mistake, perhaps their first day and thought it was all available to RC patrons.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can definitely confirm it is NOT allowed. Seems there are some people who do it anyway.

One person told me that I could get food from the buffet (if I was entitiled) and bring it into the club.

The folks in the club told me it was a no-no and defnietely not permitted (fwiw - I wasn't entitled so I didn't try).

There was a couple who are regulars and insisted in having waitress service for lunch in the club. It did not go over very well.

Seems that not only are there personnel issues, but the unions are also involved (the club employees are non-union).
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I can definitely confirm it is NOT allowed. Seems there are some people who do it anyway.

One person told me that I could get food from the buffet (if I was entitiled) and bring it into the club.

The folks in the club told me it was a no-no and defnietely not permitted (fwiw - I wasn't entitled so I didn't try).

There was a couple who are regulars and insisted in having waitress service for lunch in the club. It did not go over very well.

Seems that not only are there personnel issues, but the unions are also involved (the club employees are non-union).

AH yet another Union issue ! And I will leave it at that.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did see a couple of foreign tourists bringing hot food items in the RC. It looked innocent.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:47 am
formerly known as CARTflagman

I was in the exact situation, stayed 9/2-9/5. My Dad and his GF were with us, and they actually complained that folks were doing that. It turns out that Hyatt sells breakfast packages to other hotels in the area that don't offer full breakfast, and some of those folks were taking liberties. One of the Hyatt staff came over to the other table and asked them to leave, which they did, because supposedly, you can't sneak over from the restaurant and tailgate into the Club with eggs, bacon and the like.

This is going to be a problem going forward because Diamonds actually get Full Breakfast at the Shor restaurant, which you have to walk right past to get into the Club. You walk right past two buffet tables, and it looks real tempting to simply walk out the Club door with a plate, grab some eggs or whatever, and walk back into the Club. Most Diamonds are not going to go into Shor because the line getting in is anywhere from 20-60 minutes wait, and with the Club right there, its a no-brainer.

I was really satisfied myself with the Club, although the one in Kauai is probably the best of all the islands.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I'll be at the hotel again in 2 days so I'll pay more attention to that. Maybe I was there on quieter mornings but I didn't see anyone entering the RC with a full plate although I prefer to sit outside on the terrace so that may be why.

I don't get the point in that sign in monitor if it's not enforced, only about 1 in 10 does it.

Diamonds get full breakfast at SHOR? I don't think so, I was never told about that.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by crystak
Diamonds get full breakfast at SHOR? I don't think so, I was never told about that.
+1

If this is the case, I will be mighty po'd.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt - L. Dia. Hilton Dia. Priority Club Plat.
Long time lurker, but first post, so be kind. :-) Have a stay coming up 9/13 to 9/17. According to Diamond line, Suite upgrades unavailable. Called Hotel directly today, and they said the same. Have 4 suite upgrade certs expire worthless this year, and looks like no luck again this year. Have been coming here for more than 10 years. When I booked last week, the reservation agent said they were full, and Diamond guarenteed availability did not apply to resorts, (WHAT?) but I was able to immediatley go on line and book a room. Weird. Many good RC memories here over the last decade, usually in February.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by pjs100
Long time lurker, but first post, so be kind. :-) Have a stay coming up 9/13 to 9/17. According to Diamond line, Suite upgrades unavailable. Called Hotel directly today, and they said the same. Have 4 suite upgrade certs expire worthless this year, and looks like no luck again this year. Have been coming here for more than 10 years. When I booked last week, the reservation agent said they were full, and Diamond guarenteed availability did not apply to resorts, (WHAT?) but I was able to immediatley go on line and book a room. Weird. Many good RC memories here over the last decade, usually in February.
Welcome to FT pjs100!

Sorry to hear about your suite upgrades -- It seems like this hotel is booked pretty full for this month.

Not sure what happened with the booking though. Maybe there was a communication and the agent thought you wanted a specific type of room? Room availability can change in an instant though as people cancel or change dates.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
strike

Received a note today that employees have gone on strike:

- Fresh towels/bath items only on request.

- No room service.

- Regency Club CLOSED.

- No valet parking.

So far not a pleasant experience with picketing right outside my window. No diamond room upgrades available this week either.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
As to my previous post, I had seen the couple in the RC previously and this was the first time I noticed them taking food from the Shor Buffet. I just didn't know if you were allowed to do that or not.

I never checked in on the computer but the staff would ask what room I was in. On the last day, the attendant came to me and told me how they needed people to check in so they knew how much food to order.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by stackm
Received a note today that employees have gone on strike:
May we suggest to the management to sit in RC and have it open?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
One of the reasons it is closed is because they can no longer get food themselves. The kitchen staff, which is union, has to provide it.

Without the ability to serve just about anything, because the concierges or busboys can no longer get it themselves, makes opening the club pretty much a waste.

Another downside to moving the club downstairs
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
One of the reasons it is closed
Full breakfast and 2500 extra points is provided to Diamonds, I suppose...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.