Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, No other status for now..
My fiancee and I are going here in August for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. Is the hotel really as bad as the reviews lately say?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by onefatsurfer
My fiancee and I are going here in August for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. Is the hotel really as bad as the reviews lately say?
Well I think we are just being pickey on certain things (which we should). I stayed there twice last year and overall enjoyed my stay there. They should've have completed renovations by now so it should be even better.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:09 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
IMO if you have RC access you will love the hotel. If not, it is not so special.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I am not sure that this is the best option especially if it's your honeymoon and I honeymooned in Hawaii as well. Actually my wife is part hawaiian.

Maybe you might want to look to actually "be on the beach" such as the renovated Sheraton, the HHV, Pink Palace!

Just a thought and not totally knocking the Hyatt as I am a Diamond and have many nights there, but ............!

Good luck
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I am not sure that this is the best option especially if it's your honeymoon and I honeymooned in Hawaii as well. Actually my wife is part hawaiian.

Maybe you might want to look to actually "be on the beach" such as the renovated Sheraton, the HHV, Pink Palace!

Just a thought and not totally knocking the Hyatt as I am a Diamond and have many nights there, but ............!

Good luck
We're also spending 5 nights in GH Kauai and 5 in HR Maui. Staying in suites on Kauai and Maui. We're staying in Hyatt's mostly to save $ (we're using points and Hyatt gift cards gotten from capital one)
I'll look at those other hotels and see if they'll fit budget-wise and if they're worth the added expense
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
We're also spending 5 nights in GH Kauai and 5 in HR Maui. Staying in suites on Kauai and Maui. We're staying in Hyatt's mostly to save $ (we're using points and Hyatt gift cards gotten from capital one)
I'll look at those other hotels and see if they'll fit budget-wise and if they're worth the added expense
in that case stay there ! It's a great hotel
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Given your itin stick with the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. But please try and obtain RC access because the Hotel is very common but so are many other Waikiki hotels after coming off the neighbor Islands. Congrats!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Given your itin stick with the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. But please try and obtain RC access because the Hotel is very common but so are many other Waikiki hotels after coming off the neighbor Islands. Congrats!
Well, we're flying into Waikiki first, then Kauai then Maui and flying back to EWR from Maui (with a 3 night stopover in SFO to break up the long flight on the way back )
I'll try to use points to get RC access, but the HGP rep we spoke to on the phone was being a dick about letting us use points to upgrade, saying that we need to pay ~$56 more/night for a "deluxe ocean view" rather than a standard "ocean view" if we want to upgrade.

Last edited by onefatsurfer; Jan 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The GP agent was correct. If you want to use points to upgrade you have to pay the prevailing rate for a deluxe room. The type of room varies from property to property - some allow it on a partial ocean view and some allow it only from the full ocean view/front.

Generally speaking, it's not a very good deal to use points for the upgrade.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Contact the Resort. Given it is your honeymoon and you have a string of supporting reservations I am sure they would work with you. Fortunately with your timing it only gets better!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The GP agent was correct. If you want to use points to upgrade you have to pay the prevailing rate for a deluxe room. The type of room varies from property to property - some allow it on a partial ocean view and some allow it only from the full ocean view/front.

Generally speaking, it's not a very good deal to use points for the upgrade.
The HR Waikiki has "City View", "Ocean View", "Mountain View" rooms and "Deluxe Ocean View" and "Deluxe Mountain View" rooms. We booked an "Ocean View" room and they say we need to book a "Deluxe Ocean View" room. The "Deluxe Ocean View" is $56 more per night than the "Ocean View" room is(which also costs more than the base "City View" room). In looking at the HR Waikiki website, I can't even tell what the difference is between the "Deluxe" and non"Deluxe" rooms.

I'm fine with spending 6k points (3k+3k) to bump our stay up for club access, but it doesn't make sense to drop $280+6k points, considering the biggest benefit for us will probably be the free breakfast(and I sure hope we're not spending $28/pp/day on breakfast!) ...

It's well worth it for us to use points to upgrade our stay in Maui. We paid the Partial Ocean View rate + 12k points (6k+6k) to upgrade to an Ocean Suite for 5 nights. Can't complain about that!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Deluxe ocean view is what most would consider ocean front. It's a straight view directly out at the ocean.

The ocean view are the few rooms on either side of the straight ocean view, or deluxe ocean view rooms.

The hotel is shaped like an octagon, and the further away you get from that straight ocean view, the less expensive the rooms are.

The rooms are all the same except for the view.

Like I said, it's generally not worth it to pay for the deluxe ocean view and also 6k points for club access.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:18 pm

Call the Resort right now and just ask the front desk. You may beable to book the cheapest room and get RC access. I've seen them trying to upsell RC access while standing in line.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Deluxe ocean view is what most would consider ocean front. It's a straight view directly out at the ocean.

The ocean view are the few rooms on either side of the straight ocean view, or deluxe ocean view rooms.

The hotel is shaped like an octagon, and the further away you get from that straight ocean view, the less expensive the rooms are.

The rooms are all the same except for the view.

Like I said, it's generally not worth it to pay for the deluxe ocean view and also 6k points for club access.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:31 pm

Given onefatsurfer's itinerary, agree to stay at Waikiki. Your have two other great properties in your plan, just be expected for a slightly depressed plant in Waikiki. The people are terrific. I personally don't think upgrading with cash or points at this property is worth it. Hopefully you both will find lots to do in Waikiki and won't be in the hotel all that much.

Slightly OT, but I suggest you "like" the GH Kauai on Facebook and introduce yourself to the social media coordinator for the hotel and explain your situation. They will likely take very good care of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.