Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:51 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
The desk has been moved recently. It is opposite the main checkin next to the Expedia travel desk. It is difficult to notice.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mmgm
The desk has been moved recently. It is opposite the main checkin next to the Expedia travel desk. It is difficult to notice.

Not only is it not noticeable, apparently when it is not manned the front desk agents answer a question of "Do you have a Diamond check in line?" with an answer of no.

Way to make that first impression.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Not only is it not noticeable, apparently when it is not manned the front desk agents answer a question of "Do you have a Diamond check in line?" with an answer of no.

Way to make that first impression.
Boy does this hotel need a new manager and not the new one they have now!

Actually they need to old owner to come back as well
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This hotel is simply badly run only to cater Japanese tourists that don't know better.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
This hotel is simply badly run only to cater Japanese tourists that don't know better.
BINGO
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
That's not the experience I had, and I posted about it upstream.

That is incredibly insulting and rude on so many levels and not even close to being true in my experience at this property.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
The hotel does have a very strong marketing arm to Japan (like many hotels in Hawaii) but I am not sure what the "dont know better" part means. Perhaps you could expand.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
The hotel does have a very strong marketing arm to Japan (like many hotels in Hawaii) but I am not sure what the "dont know better" part means. Perhaps you could expand.
Hyatt is a very well liked brand in the Asian market and the Hawaiian properties play to this. That's a fact, like it or not. But then most of the islands play to the Asian market, thats also a fact. Always has been and I have been doing business in the islands since 1975, married to an "island girl" !

The bottom line on this property is that the new manager has continued the downward spiral of service at least to many of us.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:04 am

I had a stay this weekend. I found the diamond check in very easy to find. In addition to the smallish glass signage, there was a larger printed sign. If looking towards the ocean, the diamond check in is on the left hand side away from the regular check in lines on the right side. I actually prefer this separation as when you are ushered to the front while existing people wait, sometimes people seem to feel you are cutting the line (I guess technically you are and that is a benefit).

The overall infrastructure of the hotel is no different than many other Waikiki properties (a little dated). There has been no significant recent new hotel building development in Wakiki. I did like the new Regency Club.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:09 pm

Comparative Analysis: Regency Waikiki vs. Place Waikiki

The overall winner is Hyatt Place.

Context: Back-to-back stays, corporate rates. Curiously, Place was $20 more than Regency.

1) Check-in: Tie Both warm and friendly. Elite recognition. Explanation of benefits was clear. The Regency Platinum/Diamond desk is nice when the main check out line is a zoo.

2) Physical Plant: Hyatt Place. This is not your standard Hyatt Place refurbishment. The finishes in the bathroom and the lighting is much better than any mainland Hyatt Place I have stayed in. The air unit is central as opposed to the window-based models. My room was spacious in warm light blue/grey tones. Everything was clean and fresh. Two pet peeves: my room had a door separating sink from toilet/shower. While likely nice when sharing the room, the shower/toilet room is very small. A pocket door would have been better. Second, the lighting around the desk was suboptimal. I would estimate about 1/3-1/4 of the rooms when the renovation is complete will have ocean or diamondhead+water view. The rooms here are far more spacious, and I think suit themselves to sharing better than the Regency rooms.

Contrast this with the Regency, which is, well, dated. They are inefficient from a space utilization point of view. Insufficient number of outlets. The furniture is not comfortable. Beds are terrible. Carpet and linens are old and tattered. Bathrooms are basic (shower/tub here vs. shower at Place). It's simply unacceptable to consider this a Regency with this physical plant. The only thing I really liked about the Regency rooms was the Toto toilet seat.

Note: both rooms had LCD TVs with an interface to connect your TV/media source directly. WiFi Internet was spotty at times in both properties.

3) Breakfast: Tie/Slant toward Regency. This is a toughie because I didn't expect much at Hyatt Place, but the breakfast at Hyatt Place was the best breakfast I've had at a Hyatt Place. A combination of standard fare, three hot plates (french toast, breakfast sandwiches), oatmeal. A lot of staff attention to keep the offerings full. The only slight downside was the setting is between the two towers and appeared to have a wind tunnel effect when I was there. The eating area is covered, but it's poolside, so the wind was strong and blowing things about.

My rate at the Regency included the buffet at Shor (I skipped the mediocre regency club). This is of course a very comprehensive buffet in a great surrounding, with many of the tables offering ocean views. There is an omelette station, and the wait staff are just so helpful and friendly.

4) Overall Service: Tie/Slant Hyatt Place. I didn't really encounter any problems. Everyone had a heaping dose of Aloha. I tilt the service to the Hyatt Place because I was surprised by how many employees were around and available. There is valet service, there is a bell stand, several people manning the front desk (no kiosks), staff attending the buffet, etc. The Place has imported a lot of Hyatt employees from other properties. The assistant manager told me that Hyatt Place employees are not unionized, as opposed to the Regency.

5) Location: Regency. The Regency does have a slightly better location as its location on the block is closer to the beach, whereas the place is at the other end of its block. For me personally I had no problem and the walk between the two is quite easy (Mattress Run, anyone?). There is less fine dining and such at the Hyatt Place location, but it's still not a problem. The Place front desk does have nice beach towels available for guests.

In sum: if you are committed to a Hyatt stay in Waikiki and pricing is similar, I recommend the Hyatt Place. The cutbacks at the Regency reduce its competitive advantage. The rooms are nicer, the staff are just as great, and the breakfast was surprisingly good.

Last edited by 19103_aa; Dec 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
"It's simply unacceptable to consider this a Regency with this physical plant."

What is so bad about this is that there is nothing in the Hyatt world lower than Regency. Regency minus.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Insufficient number of outlets.
I agree with you on this aspect.. I had to move the entire bed-side stand to find a power outlet to charge my phone, and keep it next to the bed.

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
The furniture is not comfortable. Beds are
terrible.
I disagree here. I've been to the HR Waikiki twice, and both times that beds were amazing. In fact, the bed at Waikiki was better than the one I had at the GH Shanghai, last month. That bed was rock hard, and I was in a suite!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs up Good news

Apparently in response to guest complaints smoked salmon and individual yogurts have returned to the RC breakfast.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:54 pm

Apparently in response to guest complaints smoked salmon and individual yogurts have returned to the RC breakfast.
In case anyone is interested the Park Place is now open!! ANd it looks pretty nice. Only one block from beach located on the other side of the Marriott.

Maybe a great alternative to the Hyatt, cheaper and same points!!!!! Will be trying it out in person on Feb, but was on property Tuesday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.