Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by broncophil
thanks.. sorry, im a bit slow.. so does that mean if i book on hyatt.com the penthouse suite, i wont get the "AMBASSADOR SUITE" pictured above... and will get this one?? (NOT MY PICS, taken from pointsfromthepacific.boardingarea dot com

im hoping to get this one.. or is it luck of the draw? ? ?
First of all, I have to apologize - I thought you said Presidential suite. Judging from the furniture and decor, it is a penthouse suite. It looks like a 1 bedroom. The ambassadors, I think, are all 2 bedroom and are on the higher floors with nicer decor. I'm not even sure if it's a premium suite, but it probably is. The standard suites are those listed as family suites.

Unless the hotel is empty, or you're a long time guest, it's not likely you will get upgraded to that room. In order to guarantee it, sometimes I use a suite upgrade certificate and offer to pay an upcharge. I may have been upgraded to it once for free...and I go often.
broncophil likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Just wrapped up my stay at the HR Waikiki. This is actually my second time at the property. I first stayed here many years ago as a child on my first trip to Hawaii (where I also stayed at the long-gone St. Regis Princeville and Embassy Suites Beach Walk). I remember being amazed by how tall the towers were.

Overall, I wish I liked it better due to the whole "no resort fee" thing, but it wasn't a bad stay.

I was upgraded in app to an Oceanfront King. No suites except for Ambassador Suites were listed online, so I didn't even ask. My Oceanfront King was on the 32nd floor of the Diamond Head tower. The view was very nice and faced the Sheraton (not as good as the Diamond Head view I had the first time I was here). The room itself was nice but felt a bit sparse for the large size. The bed was an issue - the mattress was good, but I disliked the non-cotton linens that felt like cold sheets of plastic. I slept fine, but while awake, did not find the bed relaxing. The shower-tub combination had good pressure, but I wish it had a wider flow. The lounger couch was fine - felt plasticy on the fabric and was turned oddly away from the TV (seemed like you could arrange to hit the ocean view and TV, but they didn't). I enjoyed the Toto Washlet on the toilet.

The Regency Club is open 24 hours and has morning and evening service. I enjoyed the flavored waters and coffee machines. Evening service had some soups and skewers that I didn't try. Later, these were replaced by cookies. Morning service had fruits, sausages, scrambled eggs, and some pastries. The cinnamon swirl was quite good, but the scrambled eggs were way too wet.

Service was meh - the glass covers at the front desk are so thick that you have to scream for the agents to hear you, and it's hard to hear them. I got a lot of "What's?" because I didn't want to speak aggressively loudly. I only got a 1:30 PM checkout (4 PM was offered if I took a city view).

The lack of resort fee for Globalists is very enticing, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my prior stay at the Marriott more.

mcgahat likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I only got a 1:30 PM checkout (4 PM was offered if I took a city view).
I find that bit strange. I am curious how this transpired since they did upgrade you to an oceanfront room and you are guaranteed a 4pm checkout as a Globalist. Kind of BS to me.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I find that bit strange. I am curious how this transpired since they did upgrade you to an oceanfront room and you are guaranteed a 4pm checkout as a Globalist. Kind of BS to me.
Unfortunately, resorts are excluded from the guarantee.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Unfortunately, resorts are excluded from the guarantee.
Resort exclusions, guess Hyatt isn't so different in some ways after all. I will pretend that I didn't get this bit of information when I arrive next week.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:36 pm

Resort exclusions, guess Hyatt isn't so different in some ways after all. I will pretend that I didn't get this bit of information when I arrive next week.
Although a bit off-topic, at least, Hyatt doesn't include "convention hotels." I mean, what hotel isn't a "convention hotel?" Although, I've never had a Marriott actually pull that card on me, luckily.

Generally, I'm fine with negotiating and understood I was checking out on a Saturday, but I slightly doubt the hotel was actually waiting on my room.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
They usually give me (Globalist) 6pm late check out

I tell them my flights are around 10 pm ....
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler

Do you stay there a lot? That might make a difference. I have many trips to Hawaii but only staid at this property a handful of times over the years. I do think the Hyatt resort fees policy for Globalist is a very nice touch so I will not complain no matter what late checkout I get but thought the statement about giving the late checkout if they changed to a different view was odd. If it was a suite to a regular room, I would have understood it more.

I will report back next week.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:24 pm

What type of room do you get? It's usually presented as an either or thing for me - I can have a city view for as long as I want, or standard checkout time from an Ocean Front.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Do you stay there a lot? That might make a difference. I have many trips to Hawaii but only staid at this property a handful of times over the years. I do think the Hyatt resort fees policy for Globalist is a very nice touch so I will not complain no matter what late checkout I get but thought the statement about giving the late checkout if they changed to a different view was odd. If it was a suite to a regular room, I would have understood it more.
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
What type of room do you get? It's usually presented as an either or thing for me - I can have a city view for as long as I want, or standard checkout time from an Ocean Front.
Once or twice a year pre-COVID, but I also got 6pm late check out the last time I was there, Nov 2021. It’s not like they remember me or anything, but I just ask them if I could get a late check out and fortunately got 6pm late check out.

I usually get a suite using TSU and stay for a week, Sat to Sat. They usually move me to a partial OV room, but one time I kept the half of my suite till check out.

The worst case you can ask your suitcase stored and go to the lounge. They allow you to use the lounge even after checking out.
mcgahat and econ like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:44 pm

I gor this Canvas sparkling wine at Costco last time I was in Waikiki! It was like $8.99!

Lovely sparkling from my room
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I gor this Canvas sparkling wine at Costco last time I was in Waikiki! It was like $8.99!

Lovely sparkling from my room

Sugar over load ! But it looks great nice picture
mcgahat likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Hello
I booked four nights using points, is parking and resort fee waived at this hotel when paying with points?
thank you
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by xuni4everx
Hello
I booked four nights using points, is parking and resort fee waived at this hotel when paying with points?
thank you
If you are a Globalist member, you should get the resort fee waived and parking is free when paying with points.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
If you are a Globalist member, you should get the resort fee waived and parking is free when paying with points.
Resort fee is waived for all members not just Globalist if using award nights. Globalists have them waived on paid stays as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.