Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Old Oct 16, 11, 9:04 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
It may call itself a Resort but I have never thought that. If anything it is only a place to sleep before heading out. Spending the entire day lounging around that place would be a total mental waste.
ditto

So disappointed that they are charging a hefty resort fee. I stayed here for a month in 2009 and several weeks in 2010 and a week earlier this year. Was planning on staying here again in Jan for a week. This fee covers services/amenities that as a DM, I receive. I'm ckng orbitz for alternative hotels. (p.s. I have not used points for these stays Hyatt, rather, these were paid nights.)
Old Oct 16, 11, 9:09 pm

Some pics courtesy of the RC internet. This will give you an idea of how it looks finished hopefully.

Old Oct 30, 11, 1:56 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
We're trying out the Sheraton Waikiki.

See report under Starwood Sheraton Waikiki if interested.
Old Nov 10, 11, 1:26 pm

I was told the $18 per day resort fee was waived for us since we booked and paid in full before 10/1.

I was told for my future visits the fee is $18 per day.

I am not sure if I am comfortable paying this fee and will think long and hard before booking in the future.
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:45 am

Why does Hyatt website show no suites in the listing of room categories? While I am looking to use diamond confirmed, I can't even get a paid suite rate to show up for dates far out into 2012.
Old Nov 13, 11, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by porschelover View Post
Some pics courtesy of the RC internet. This will give you an idea of how it looks finished hopefully.
Boy Mark has not gotten any prettier!

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 13, 11 at 2:05 pm Reason: removal of quoted pictures
Old Nov 28, 11, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have a stay at this hotel in a week and I just called to see if availability had opened up for a Diamond Suite Upgrade and was told that Sunshine on Sale rates are not eligible for Diamond Suite Upgrades. I thought that pretty much all paid rates were okay with Diamond Suite Upgrades. May have to contact Customer Relations about this, I'm getting really frustrated with trying to use my suite upgrades at this hotel and Kauai. Glad I didn't go out of my way to renew my Diamond Status this year since I haven't had much luck using my Diamond Suite Upgrades, one of the key benefits of the status.
Old Nov 28, 11, 4:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
I have a stay at this hotel in a week and I just called to see if availability had opened up for a Diamond Suite Upgrade and was told that Sunshine on Sale rates are not eligible for Diamond Suite Upgrades.
I have used Diamond suite upgrades on the Sunshine on Sale rate in the recent past, at least twice. Did you call GP or the hotel? Either way, I would call GP and try again.

If this rate has now been excluded from the suite upgrade pool, that will be a significantly negative change for me.
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The agent was definately wrong.

"A complimentary suite upgrade is only valid on paid stays/nights, when paying an Eligible Rate for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights. "

"An "Eligible Rate" shall be defined as any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to rates found on hyatt.com, the Hyatt Daily Rate, Volume Account Rates, AAA and Senior Citizen rates. "

I have a stay at this hotel in a week and I just called to see if availability had opened up for a Diamond Suite Upgrade and was told that Sunshine on Sale rates are not eligible for Diamond Suite Upgrades. I thought that pretty much all paid rates were okay with Diamond Suite Upgrades. May have to contact Customer Relations about this, I'm getting really frustrated with trying to use my suite upgrades at this hotel and Kauai. Glad I didn't go out of my way to renew my Diamond Status this year since I haven't had much luck using my Diamond Suite Upgrades, one of the key benefits of the status.
Old Nov 29, 11, 2:51 am

Had another nice stay here last weekend, this time upgraded to an Oceanfront RC King, room 3956. Everything seems to be firing on all cylinders now that the renovations are done and the hotel is past it's reopening blues.

They closed the elite checkin at the drive up entrance, and added an elite checkin counter next to the concierge near the front desk, but it isn't staffed all the time. It was staffed when I checked in, and they said it would be staffed shortly after 11am when I checked out on Sunday. I asked the agent at the regular front desk (she had the diamond sign up there, but wasn't helping anybody yet) and she offered to help me there immediately, but I really didn't feel comfortable cutting ahead of the 5 or 6 people waiting in line, so I just came back later. I only needed to check out to use my Hyatt Gift Card to pay, otherwise I would have just used web checkout as usual.

When I checked in on Friday afternoon (the elite checkin desk was open, so no wait), my room wasn't ready, which was ok with me, I just left my bags with them and went about my business and came back later that night to find they had decided to upgrade me to an Oceanfront RC King room. (I told them I wanted Diamond Head tower, King, any view, and that was fine with me.)

I got some nice service from the concierge desk via phone when I was out and about, and they also arranged for a 2pm checkout for me.

Some nice view pics from the room are here https://picasaweb.google.com/dmkahn/HyattWaikikiNov2011

There was, of course, a parade in Waikiki on Friday night.

For me, it was another good stay.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 29, 11 at 3:01 am
Old Nov 29, 11, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Were you charged the resort fee?
Old Nov 29, 11, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Were you charged the resort fee?
no, rez was made before they started it.

-David
Old Nov 29, 11, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a stay at this hotel in a week and I just called to see if availability had opened up for a Diamond Suite Upgrade and was told that Sunshine on Sale rates are not eligible for Diamond Suite Upgrades. I thought that pretty much all paid rates were okay with Diamond Suite Upgrades.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I have used Diamond suite upgrades on the Sunshine on Sale rate in the recent past, at least twice. Did you call GP or the hotel? Either way, I would call GP and try again.

If this rate has now been excluded from the suite upgrade pool, that will be a significantly negative change for me.
Originally Posted by jimmychang View Post
The agent was definately wrong.

"A complimentary suite upgrade is only valid on paid stays/nights, when paying an Eligible Rate for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights. "

"An "Eligible Rate" shall be defined as any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to rates found on hyatt.com, the Hyatt Daily Rate, Volume Account Rates, AAA and Senior Citizen rates. "
Well, I contacted the GP Concierge here on Flyertalk and was told that my reservation was not eligible because what I booked was not a publicly available rate. I've asked how they classify a reservation I made on Hyatt.com as 'not publicly available'.

I've gotten spoiled using suite upgrades I guess, never had a problem until this Hawaii trip and it's just one thing after another between this property and Kauai.

Edited to add:

Received a follow up message that because I used an Offer Code (the one shown on this page of Hyatt.com under Special Offers for this hotel), it is not a 'publicly avaiable rate'. So, using an offer code that is pulbicly available to anyone on Hyatt.com makes the rate not publicly available.

The upside to all of this is it's eliminating any regrets I have about not having renewed my Diamond Status for next year.

Last edited by Beckles; Nov 29, 11 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 29, 11, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Received a follow up message that because I used an Offer Code (the one shown on this page of Hyatt.com under Special Offers for this hotel), it is not a 'publicly avaiable rate'. So, using an offer code that is pulbicly available to anyone on Hyatt.com makes the rate not publicly available.
If I were in your situation, I would send a note to Jeff Zidell, the head of Gold Passport, and ask him if he could kindly have someone explain to you how a rate that is readily available to all on hyatt.com does not qualify as a publicly available rate.

I recognize that at a certain point, these battles require more effort than they're worth, but based upon historical practice, this sudden interpretation is simply wrong -- and you (and we ) deserve to have it corrected.
Old Nov 29, 11, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I recognize that at a certain point, these battles require more effort than they're worth, but based upon historical practice, this sudden interpretation is simply wrong -- and you (and we ) deserve to have it corrected.
Well, I've been told there's no suite availability anyway, so there's nothing to actually correct for myself at this point, but it certainly is an interpretation counter to my previous understanding.

By this interpretation if you book a AAA rate with the BREAKF offer code, you won't be able to apply a suite upgrade.

Search this Thread