Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by thekaica
Management doesn't get the following Barbara has. She's not ready to retire. Given the coming holiday season, management probably won't make any decisions until next year. I've written the GM but haven't gotten a response. As a side note, a person from corporate was out recently to talk to the Regency Club staff. I thought it was a slap in the face to the Regency Club staff to see him partaking in the Regency Club offerings with the same staff they want to cut hours to.
while "corporate" visits do play a role frankly it's diminishing as the major's are concerned about "room" count. The ownership of t his property ( Korean) will make the final decision which given their propensity for service it surprises me these steps are being considered. There was great hope when the hotel was sold that the Asian buyer would "bring back" the Hyatt not further reduce services. F&B is dismal anyone look at the price of breakfast lately? Makes one want to bring their own chickens with them.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Only reason we stay at HR Waikiki is Club staff. Dont love the rooms. Dont love the complex. The only thing, IMO, that makes HR Waikiki stand out from the other hotels nearby is the Club staff. All of them. They make a very ordinary hotel a fun place to return at the end of a day. Big mistake to get rid of something that makes the hotel stand out in a positive way because truthfully there isn't much that is special about this hotel anymore.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by edgewood49
while "corporate" visits do play a role frankly it's diminishing as the major's are concerned about "room" count. The ownership of t his property ( Korean) will make the final decision which given their propensity for service it surprises me these steps are being considered. There was great hope when the hotel was sold that the Asian buyer would "bring back" the Hyatt not further reduce services. F&B is dismal anyone look at the price of breakfast lately? Makes one want to bring their own chickens with them.
I was thinking the same thing - my hope was that with Korean owners they would want something to be proud of that matches the types of Hyatt standards of service, F&B, etc. that they see at Hyatt's across Asia. I've had conversations with GMs at Hyatt (and Marriott) resorts in Asia and they usually end with something like - if I could get away with the terrible service and high prices of what Americans pay in Hawaii I'd have no revenue issues.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
I was thinking the same thing - my hope was that with Korean owners they would want something to be proud of that matches the types of Hyatt standards of service, F&B, etc. that they see at Hyatt's across Asia. I've had conversations with GMs at Hyatt (and Marriott) resorts in Asia and they usually end with something like - if I could get away with the terrible service and high prices of what Americans pay in Hawaii I'd have no revenue issues.
Even the Grand Hyatt in Guam is outstanding and a lounge that is huge to boot! by the by the restaurant has the BEST Fresh Lamb Chops in the world bar none
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

What about Barbara ? I think the union will have a lot to say about this, they're not going to allow jobs to be lost. Having said all this it's just another sign of costing cutting ( one has to pay for that huge housekeeping contracts as well as "equity capital's ) investment, There's a slow down coming watch what happens then
Originally Posted by SF1K
Mirae Asset only cares about the bottomline. I think they definitely overpaid for the property and will probably try to wring every last cent out.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I learned that management is considering major cuts to Swim and Regency Club staff. For Swim, they were going to eliminate the servers. This meant that guests would have to place their food and drink orders with a bartender. They've delayed any decisions until next year.

For Regency Club, they are cutting the number of hours per shift. Apparently management doesn't understand how busy it can get a times given all the up-sells. Supposedly the changes mean the staff are only to handle food and drink related tasks. This means guests will need to see the front desk for anything else. Apparently any decisions have also been delayed for now.

I've gotten to know many of the staff and they are a BIG reason I keep coming back. It does not appear management is seeking guest feedback so for what's it worth, please consider writing the GM if you think this is a wrong direction to take.
Agree. I have heard the same, as well as cutting a few positions. I also heard the claim is that this is a Hyatt directive with the goal to reduce amenities given. I have tried to get more info on the Hyatt directive, but haven't had any luck getting more information.

I'm taking that to mean that the offerings will be fewer and the staff will be even more overworked. This is probably one of the best clubs in the system, and they're going to ruin it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What about Barbara ? I think the union will have a lot to say about this, they're not going to allow jobs to be lost. Having said all this it's just another sign of costing cutting ( one has to pay for that huge housekeeping contracts as well as "equity capital's ) investment, There's a slow down coming watch what happens then
The information came from one of the union reps. There's little they can do about it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Mirae Asset only cares about the bottomline. I think they definitely overpaid for the property and will probably try to wring every last cent out.
Remember they got a huge write down in final pricing due to the deteriorated condition of the property leads me to think maybe not as high a premium as one would think. A lot of money has been put back into the property as witnessed by several of the other hotels on the beach, one has to look across the street at the Sheraton another long long over due exterior restoration let alone the interior.Very few properties in the island have been properly maintained in the past 15 years, yes there are exceptions few and far between. All based on my professional experience working on various properties ( not just hotels) in the islands
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
I wonder if their survey scores have taken a hit. For the first time, I was contacted by the VIP Manager following my recent stay to take the time to complete the survey.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Just got back from a 7 night stay, I'm sure my review is the same as it was last year and the same it will be next.

Globalist Club access, TSU for a 2 room Family suite, WAIVE Resort fees.

*CLUB was fine, I go during off hours, open 24 hours a day, Breakfast served during Breakfast hours 7-10am, Light food, 5-7 pm.
*Family Suite. Large space for Hawaii, basically two regular rooms attached. One room has a murphy bed and a large L shaped couch. TSU used, need to hunt these down usually 6-8 months out. Could use an update.
*Elevators are awful, they actually have on the TV showing expected wait times during different hours throughout the day. WOW.
*Staff, ALWAYS been kind and helpful, no complaints Always appreciated.
*This go around looked at the Buffet. 66$ a person? Are you kidding me?. I'm not a Buffet person to beging with, but 66$ plus tip and tax seems INSAME.
*GREAT LOCATION. Great location for every food budget $-$$$$$. The UDON place, 6 minute walk is my addiction. Cheap and fast on OFF HOURs. HUGE LINE, during BUSY HOURS. 6$ for Curry UNDO. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waikiki Beach and the Hyatt here, I know exactly what I am going to get. It's going to be BUSY and too many people everywhere for my taste. I'm not going to be underwhelmed or overwhelmed. I have been WOWED at many Hyatt Resorts and Hotels in different ways, ie upgrades, extras, just nice little things. I have never been wowed here. Its just how close can I get to 200$/night after R/T and no resort fees. Everything is good, nothing is great. Perfect place for a vacation with a teenager or two. PLENTY to do on their own.
In general, buffets are not cheap in Hawaii. Definitely more expensive than Vegas. From what I have heard, the Hyatt one is relatively new and is supposedly one of the better ones, thus the price. And don't worry, there are way more expensive ones around town.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:14 pm

I wonder if their survey scores have taken a hit. For the first time, I was contacted by the VIP Manager following my recent stay to take the time to complete the survey.
They could be "fishing" a little. I am sure like many of the other hotels reviews by FF are trending downward new visitors really don't know what to expect per se thus it's all wonderful! And yes there is "entitlement" fever. In the 40 years that I have been working/visiting the island service and quality of is at an all time low. We go with much lower expectations these days and much fewer visits even though my wife is Hawaiian even she has tired of the high prices and lousy service
SF1K likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:31 pm

Can't remember the last time I stayed in the Ewa tower, and I never knew there was an ABC store on the third floor on thw walkway between the two towers.

Elevators have new control panels now.

-David
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Can't remember the last time I stayed in the Ewa tower, and I never knew there was an ABC store on the third floor on thw walkway between the two towers.

Elevators have new control panels now.

-David
I have never stayed on that end of the hotel hope you had a decent view. SO new lipstick on the elevators but do they work better ?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I have never stayed on that end of the hotel hope you had a decent view. SO new lipstick on the elevators but do they work better ?
Just finishing stay in Ewa Tower. Seems we always get Ewa when doing TSU and requesting that the one room has two queen beds instead of 1 King. September we requested 1 King and were in Diamond Head. Our friends stayed in Diamond Head and the elevator modernization hasn't been completed in that tower. They aren't frequent guest like us and they even complained how slow the elevators are in that tower. Seems that Ewa is much better now. Unlike before I don't remember thinking to myself - wow this is taking a long time.

Also noticed the Macaw Parrots seem to be gone?

I don't find there is a noticeable difference in views between Diamond Head and Ewa Tower. The Diamond Wing (I think that's what it is called) of the Moana across the street is so low that if you're facing towards the Ocean then the views are pretty much the same as Diamond Head. On July trip we had a room in Ewa (no TSU available) and we were on 39 facing the Diamond Head Tower - I actually really liked that view, you could see the Ocean way on the other side of Diamond Head.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:23 am

It was an ocean front room, same config as rooms on the Diamond Head side. Toilet had a washlette, etc.

It was an overnight, it was ocean front, so we took whatt they allocated. It was fine.

Years ago, I recall they had updated the Diamond Head tower and the Ewa tower still had older rooms. Not sure if there's any differences now, except for the walk to the RC, etc.

Elevators were fine. I think it's more than cosmetic. But they still really don't have enough elevator cars, so when it's busy you have to wait a bit.

They had somebody standing by at prime time. Not sure what their function was but they kept pushing the down button on the 3rd floor for some reason.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.