Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Best to call the hotel directly and yes it is possible. Maybe you get lucky and get one of the old GS penthouse suites
thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was looking at both HR and Centric for a cheap one-night stay following a late HNL arrival (before moving to Kahala next day) . . . both have a seven day cancel with deposit, unlike Hilton and Marriott, which offer a three day cancel, no deposit required. This property also has the highest resort fee ($42). No wonder its rates are cheapest (only $170/night). I would have done it (and finally burned a club award!) but the cancel policy is a deal killer.
once you manage to make it to globalist you won't have to care about those fees.

-David
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this property the last time I was in HNL and I was not impressed. The pool area is nothing special. The stairway from the pool area to the street level has a lot of trash in it (I'm not taking about one or two things -- someone did not drop a cup -- the stairs were covered in garbage. The breakfast in the lounge was so bad that I went out to breakfast every day (there is a really good place right across the street, actually).

I'm staying at the Centric on an upcoming trip -- I'm hoping it's better.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm staying at the Centric on an upcoming trip -- I'm hoping it's better.
If you are Globalist, the breakfast in the restaurant is FAR better. When I stayed at the Centric last summer I was really impressed with the menu and the quality of the food.

Otherwise, the Centric was really lacking for me. I missed the beach across the street, really don't care for the Centric neighborhood overall -- you could be in any inner city -- the suites are strangely laid out and not especially functional as suites, housekeeping was slow and not very responsive, the front desk didn't follow up on things. Just had an unpolished Hyatt Place feel to the experience -- except the restaurant for breakfast.

Edited to add -- I forgot to mention that while the Hyatt Regency no doubt has its positives and negatives, in 15+ years of staying there I've never experienced the trash you were talking about in the stairs to the street. That's unusual in my experience.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:14 am

I was looking at both HR and Centric for a cheap one-night stay following a late HNL arrival (before moving to Kahala next day) . . . both have a seven day cancel with deposit, unlike Hilton and Marriott, which offer a three day cancel, no deposit required. This property also has the highest resort fee ($42). No wonder its rates are cheapest (only $170/night). I would have done it (and finally burned a club award!) but the cancel policy is a deal killer.
Out of curiosity, are you saving on one night at the Kahala on purpose or because there are no rooms available your arrival night? If you are looking for a place to crash on your arrival night because you think the trip to the Kahala from the airport is much further than Waikiki, I would suggest just going straight to the Kahala. Travel time to both locations is actually probably the same, and with the lack of traffic when you arrive Kahala might be faster because it would be mostly freeway driving. Just my 2˘ as a local.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Out of curiosity, are you saving on one night at the Kahala on purpose or because there are no rooms available your arrival night? If you are looking for a place to crash on your arrival night because you think the trip to the Kahala from the airport is much further than Waikiki, I would suggest just going straight to the Kahala. Travel time to both locations is actually probably the same, and with the lack of traffic when you arrive Kahala might be faster because it would be mostly freeway driving. Just my 2˘ as a local.
Thanks, I stay at Kahala all the time. I just don't want to spend $425 plus tax for my first night when I'll be arriving around 9 pm. It's kind of a waste, when I can get a decent room in Waikiki for under $200.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're always the Hyatt Place... usually cheaper than the centric or the regency.

Not exactly an ideal spot for a Hawaii vacation, but maybe the good enough to check in, go to sleep, wake up, and check out.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:00 pm

Thanks, I stay at Kahala all the time. I just don't want to spend $425 plus tax for my first night when I'll be arriving around 9 pm. It's kind of a waste, when I can get a decent room in Waikiki for under $200.
Totally understand and thought that might be the case. How about the airport Holiday Inn?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Totally understand and thought that might be the case. How about the airport Holiday Inn?
Thanks. I like to run Diamond Head in the morning, so I'll stay at the Hilton Waikiki or the Marriott, both around $200, and take the double points.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:28 pm

Thanks. I like to run Diamond Head in the morning, so I'll stay at the Hilton Waikiki or the Marriott, both around $200, and take the double points.
Haha yeah running Nimitz Highway would not be the same. I hope you have a nice trip and enjoy your stay!
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have the current GM contact?
Old May 1, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Doug Sears is the GM. He's leaving in June.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by thekaica
Doug Sears is the GM. He's leaving in June.
Seems to be a revolving door there of late
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
Is Renee still there in Sales? Mahalo!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just heard something very troubling about the Regency Club. A friend stayed there recently and was denied access to the lanai of the club.... the reason? CATERING RENTED IT OUT FOR A PRIVATE PARTY. Yes, you read that right. Not the club - just the lanai.

Party-goers are now entering the locked club and heading for the lanai for a private party. RC guests cannot use it, much like they can't use the pool area at times when there's a wedding or a similar function. But the pool area is much larger, and often, the pool itself isn't impacted - just the area to one side beyond the hot tub.

So that means no eating outside, no drinks by the fire pit, and no sunset viewing for hotel guests. I've spent many a night on that lanai just sitting and enjoying. I've even spent time there during special events over the ocean, such as fireworks, or a parade. My fear is they will rent out the lanai during special events too.

What's going to stop those same guests from sitting in the club if it's a little chilly, windy, or wet? Or if they just feel like it?

So it was bad enough when the front desk was selling access to guests and the place became very, very overcrowded, particularly in the morning, but this is like a slap in the face to their guests - both long time and newbies. Either it's a regency club or it's a party room. It can't be both.

From what she told me, this has been done a few times already. I'll bet if it takes off, we will be seeing more of the "lanai closed" signs at that door

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.