Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Reply

Old Jan 9, 19, 4:18 pm
  #1711  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,950
Originally Posted by mmgm View Post
Iím at the hotel now. The good news is the elevator problem in the Diamondhead tower is much improved.
So when you say improved faster ?
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:56 am
  #1712  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: los angeles
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Posts: 1,739
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
So when you say improved faster ?
Yes. They have installed a system to speed them up while repairs continue.
mmgm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 8:45 am
  #1713  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,645
Originally Posted by mmgm View Post
They have installed a system to speed them up while repairs continue.
"Continue?" They could have rebuilt the entire structure from ground up in the time they've been working on the elevators. It's literally been three or more years.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:36 am
  #1714  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,950
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
"Continue?" They could have rebuilt the entire structure from ground up in the time they've been working on the elevators. It's literally been three or more years.
My company worked on that property 7 or so years ago, as usual they were doing only what was necessary, GS sucked the life out of that place as did BS, the exterior was horrendous taking from what I hear now are 3 million and counting. The elevators were bandaged for years, I assume they are having to completely replace the entire system not just a new face or panel. What I am hoping is that the new Asian owners will do what is typical of long term owners and that is fix it right. Of course we will never see the limo again !
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:46 pm
  #1715  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SAF & RNO
Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,268
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
My company worked on that property 7 or so years ago, as usual they were doing only what was necessary, GS sucked the life out of that place as did BS, the exterior was horrendous taking from what I hear now are 3 million and counting. The elevators were bandaged for years, I assume they are having to completely replace the entire system not just a new face or panel. What I am hoping is that the new Asian owners will do what is typical of long term owners and that is fix it right. Of course we will never see the limo again !
I was once trapped by myself, in the dark, in one of their elevators for a half hour.😬
236Dakota is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:34 am
  #1716  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,950
Originally Posted by 236Dakota View Post


I was once trapped by myself, in the dark, in one of their elevators for a half hour.😬
Damn thats a bad as being with my former wife in a room alone
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:41 pm
  #1717  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 30
The rate goes up by ~25% when I add a 3rd adult and another 25% when I add a 4th adult. Is this normal? Thanks!
sonicsmash214 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:19 pm
  #1718  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by steve64 View Post
TL;DR I agree that the reason the room was undesirable is out of Hyatt's control. Knowingly assigning me an undesirable room is my complaint.

Personally, I'm not blaming Hyatt. It's one reason I accepted my room and "apology" from the VIP Manager at check-in.
Afterwards, I learned that "the Marriott" was actually the Sheraton across the street, and that this strike wasn't something that started after I had been allocated a room in a full hotel (the strike had been going on for 35+ days), This is where I became disappointed. For whatever reason, I was knowingly assigned an undesirable room.

And purely my personal impression based on circumstantial evidence only, I honestly don't think the hotel was that full. I can not believe they couldn't find a better 3 night room block than the one I was assigned.
I've been a semi regular visitor to this hotel for 10 years and the property just didn't "feel full". The lobby areas didn't seem as busy, the elevators lines were not there (but the waits still were), the Club wasn't overcrowded, etc. All of Waikiki felt the same way. I only took this trip because I found a decent last minute airfare.
I am curious, was your view at least partial ocean? I am just asking because you seemed to have been assigned a pretty high floor as well. I was just thinking that although they could have assigned you to the Diamond Head Tower, it might have been possible they did not have any in the DH Tower that were high floor with at least a partial ocean view. That would have limited the inventory available to you when you checked in. Not saying you don't have a reason to be suspicious or anything, just wondering if that might have been a reason they didn't assign you to DH tower.
HIFlya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 19, 1:22 pm
  #1719  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Programs: AS-MVPG75K / HHonors-Diamond / Hyatt - Exploroist
Posts: 1,467
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
I am curious, was your view at least partial ocean? I am just asking because you seemed to have been assigned a pretty high floor as well. I was just thinking that although they could have assigned you to the Diamond Head Tower, it might have been possible they did not have any in the DH Tower that were high floor with at least a partial ocean view. That would have limited the inventory available to you when you checked in. Not saying you don't have a reason to be suspicious or anything, just wondering if that might have been a reason they didn't assign you to DH tower.
It was a city view, looking straight down to the street entrance (where the protesters were) of the Sheraton. If we were to say that "12 o'clock" is standing on a balcony of an ocean front room, looking out to the ocean ... then I was at 4:30.
Thinking only of the angle/direction of the room's balcony, you could not have given me a more direct "hit" of the action. Ditto when thinking of "across the ground" distance.
Given the height of the room, I was surprised how loud the noise was. I can only guess that acoustics/echos had a lot to do with it, perhaps noise bouncing off the Sheraton.
steve64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 19, 1:33 pm
  #1720  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by steve64 View Post
It was a city view, looking straight down to the street entrance (where the protesters were) of the Sheraton. If we were to say that "12 o'clock" is standing on a balcony of an ocean front room, looking out to the ocean ... then I was at 4:30.
Thinking only of the angle/direction of the room's balcony, you could not have given me a more direct "hit" of the action. Ditto when thinking of "across the ground" distance.
Given the height of the room, I was surprised how loud the noise was. I can only guess that acoustics/echos had a lot to do with it, perhaps noise bouncing off the Sheraton.
That is a total bummer, sorry it was ruined things for you.
HIFlya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:14 pm
  #1721  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: California
Posts: 589
Lounge

Hi Everyone,

I havent stayed at this this hotel for years. Can anyone who stayed recently comment on the lounge? Is it usuallly crowded nowadays? Is there a bartender? Are there charges for alcoholic drinks? Staff?
kishna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:35 pm
  #1722  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: los angeles
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Posts: 1,739
The lounge is terrific because of the staff. It can be very crowded at peak times. There are bartenders. Drinks cost except for Globalists.
mmgm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 7:48 am
  #1723  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: California
Posts: 589
Thank you about comments re lounge.

one more question. Is it possible to have a second room connect with a family ocean suite so that there would be two bedrooms that all connect with a parlour room? Thanks!
kishna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:07 pm
  #1724  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,950
Originally Posted by kishna View Post
Thank you about comments re lounge.

one more question. Is it possible to have a second room connect with a family ocean suite so that there would be two bedrooms that all connect with a parlour room? Thanks!
Best to call the hotel directly and yes it is possible. Maybe you get lucky and get one of the old GS penthouse suites
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:17 am
  #1725  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,645
I was looking at both HR and Centric for a cheap one-night stay following a late HNL arrival (before moving to Kahala next day) . . . both have a seven day cancel with deposit, unlike Hilton and Marriott, which offer a three day cancel, no deposit required. This property also has the highest resort fee ($42). No wonder its rates are cheapest (only $170/night). I would have done it (and finally burned a club award!) but the cancel policy is a deal killer.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread