Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Tried to book a reservation at Tidepools for the week of April 17th and it's booked up every night! Had no idea I needed to book this far in advance.

Questions:
1) How easy will it be for a family of 3 to get a walk-up reservation for dinner?
2) Any other restaurants within walking distance or a short drive that people can recommend as an alternative?
To add to this, when I was there last week I attempted to book a massage and the earliest was 5 days after I left.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Tried to book a reservation at Tidepools for the week of April 17th and it's booked up every night! Had no idea I needed to book this far in advance.

Questions:
1) How easy will it be for a family of 3 to get a walk-up reservation for dinner?
2) Any other restaurants within walking distance or a short drive that people can recommend as an alternative?
Missed your second question. I like Eating House which is a short drive (5 mins) up the road.
bsdstone and OhDoctor like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Adding a recent trip report - Stayed in late March for two nights (cert + points) and had an amazing stay! The resort was fully booked but did get an upgrade from a parking lot view room to one in the 1000 building overlooking a grassy field/ocean so that was nice. Not sure if all rooms get this but there was a lovely towel swan in the room, along with a welcome gift - box of macadamia nut chocolate, tub of popcorn, bag of taro chips, and a bottle of red wine (gifted to neighbors as not a red wine fan). Club lounge fully open, breakfast from 6:30-10:30, snacks from 3-5, hors d'oeuvres from 5 (or is it 5:30) - 7 pm, and then dessert from 7:30ish onwards. Evening selection had enough food to make a decent dinner if you aren't too hungry, and it was nice to be able to pop in and grab water, coffee, tea, etc. throughout the day. Resort itself is gorgeous as others have said. I'm in awe of the landscaping and the amount of effort that must go into this - lobby is stunning, along with its 4 resident parrots, and the waterslide/lazy river pool area was nice to hang out in. Getting chairs in the shade without going really early was virtually impossible though so definitely be prepared for it to be busy. For those with kids, pool floaties were quite expensive here ($14 for a floaty that ABC charges $5 for the exact same one), but I get the convenience factor premium. Couple of other things to note - koi fish feeding is at 9 am which was fun, there's a nice mini hike (more like a walk) at one end of the property to the top of the bluffs to watch the sunset, and apparently there's a monk seal that regularly likes to nap on the beach in front (area will be fenced off to give the seal space as its endangered but still nice to see!). Declining housekeeping gets a $10 resort fee credit and no late checkout granted given full occupancy, but there is a departure lounge to shower/change. Overall, this might be my favorite Hyatt in North America, highly recommend!
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lily23
Overall, this might be my favorite Hyatt in North America, highly recommend!
Where have I heard this before? Specifically as a 'resort' Hyatt, I agree completely!
lily23 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Mini review based on a 3-night stay here in April 2022 with 2 adults, 1 child:

Overview
Globalist, first time visit. Kept hearing how large the property was -- it's about the same size as the last Hyatt megaresort we visited, the Ziva/Zilara in Jamaica. Grounds are nice. We came from the Grand Wailea Waldorf just prior to this, and that property might have been slightly nicer, but not by much.

Room
Didn't want to play the upgrade game so booked a deluxe suite on points at 50k/night. Received room 5140, named the Pu'u Wanawana suite, on the far end of the Shipwreck Wing. Close to the pools, but quite a trek to the club lounge (we clocked it at ~0.4 miles each way, about a 10 minute walk). Room is huge, about ~1200 square feet, and was clean. But, the style was dated -- what we would call "old ladyish" -- and although we were oceanfront, our room also looked directly out onto the public beach access parking lot and hotel maintenance building (see photos). Had a bottle of wine and some snacks waiting for us in the room.

Dining
Tried to get a reservation at Tidepools for any of our three nights, and the concierge laughed and told us they were booked through June. Okay then -- hoping for a bit more of a service-oriented response, but sure. Reserve a spot way in advance on OpenTable as soon as you book your room. Able to get a walk-in table at Stevenson's one night, and they removed a "reserved" plaque from a table near the back, so maybe these are held for globalists? Not sure. Food was good there, as was breakfast at the Terrace. Had one breakfast and one "dinner"/snacks in the Club Lounge. Decent sized space with outdoor seating. Food was good enough, a step above your typical Hampton Inn/Residence Inn breakfast, but don't expect the world. Honor system for drinks/wine/cocktails at $5-7 each.

Pool
Nice, large, multi-tiered pool complex. Again, having come from the Grand Wailea and their huge pool complex previously, we were a bit spoiled, and so maybe not as impressed as we would have been otherwise. Lazy River wasn't a loop, and they charge you $15 for an inflatable inner tube (seriously guys? The cheapo Westgate Cocoa Beach even loaned them out for free.) Enclosed shallow saltwater lagoon was a nice touch.

Beach
Shipwreck Beach is nice, and the start of a wonderful family hike along the cliffs is just outside this end of the Shipwreck Wing. Currents are strong. Monk seals and turtles occasionally hang out here, but we didn't see any.

Overall, a nice resort, especially for families. Would stay here again on points, but probably wouldn't pay cash rates, especially for a suite like ours.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:50 pm

Great review and similar to my experience. For the price they are commanding the place needs a remodel to update and needs to try harder with the lounge offerings. If pool is your focus I would pick the Grand Wailea over this property.
OhDoctor likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Mini review based on a 3-night stay here in April 2022 with 2 adults, 1 child:

Overview
Globalist, first time visit. Kept hearing how large the property was -- it's about the same size as the last Hyatt megaresort we visited, the Ziva/Zilara in Jamaica. Grounds are nice. We came from the Grand Wailea Waldorf just prior to this, and that property might have been slightly nicer, but not by much.

Room
Didn't want to play the upgrade game so booked a deluxe suite on points at 50k/night. Received room 5140, named the Pu'u Wanawana suite, on the far end of the Shipwreck Wing. Close to the pools, but quite a trek to the club lounge (we clocked it at ~0.4 miles each way, about a 10 minute walk). Room is huge, about ~1200 square feet, and was clean. But, the style was dated -- what we would call "old ladyish" -- and although we were oceanfront, our room also looked directly out onto the public beach access parking lot and hotel maintenance building (see photos). Had a bottle of wine and some snacks waiting for us in the room.

Dining
Tried to get a reservation at Tidepools for any of our three nights, and the concierge laughed and told us they were booked through June. Okay then -- hoping for a bit more of a service-oriented response, but sure. Reserve a spot way in advance on OpenTable as soon as you book your room. Able to get a walk-in table at Stevenson's one night, and they removed a "reserved" plaque from a table near the back, so maybe these are held for globalists? Not sure. Food was good there, as was breakfast at the Terrace. Had one breakfast and one "dinner"/snacks in the Club Lounge. Decent sized space with outdoor seating. Food was good enough, a step above your typical Hampton Inn/Residence Inn breakfast, but don't expect the world. Honor system for drinks/wine/cocktails at $5-7 each.

Pool
Nice, large, multi-tiered pool complex. Again, having come from the Grand Wailea and their huge pool complex previously, we were a bit spoiled, and so maybe not as impressed as we would have been otherwise. Lazy River wasn't a loop, and they charge you $15 for an inflatable inner tube (seriously guys? The cheapo Westgate Cocoa Beach even loaned them out for free.) Enclosed shallow saltwater lagoon was a nice touch.

Beach
Shipwreck Beach is nice, and the start of a wonderful family hike along the cliffs is just outside this end of the Shipwreck Wing. Currents are strong. Monk seals and turtles occasionally hang out here, but we didn't see any.

Overall, a nice resort, especially for families. Would stay here again on points, but probably wouldn't pay cash rates, especially for a suite like ours.

Yikes. I would have been very upset to find Tidepools unavailable, as we typically go once or twice per stay (make our bookings on arrival)

Also, I would have been very upset to end up where you did for 50K points. Ive stayed in several suite categories, including deluxe, and where you were looks like they went out of the way to disappoint you 😜

No true "deluxe" suite should have a view like that.

Sorry to see that was your experience.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Yikes. I would have been very upset to find Tidepools unavailable, as we typically go once or twice per stay (make our bookings on arrival)

Also, I would have been very upset to end up where you did for 50K points. Ive stayed in several suite categories, including deluxe, and where you were looks like they went out of the way to disappoint you 😜

No true "deluxe" suite should have a view like that.

Sorry to see that was your experience.
Anecdotal evidence of recent past stays, including mine, shows the property is growing less fond of award bookings, regardless of status. I was frankly surprised how poor of a room I received as a Globalist on my visit, and have seen others thrown in the same block of rooms. When I pointed out at check-in that a nicer room was available I was blown off and told they were sold out. I have a ton of points stays over the last few months and the Grand Hyatt recognition of status has been the poorest.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Anecdotal evidence of recent past stays, including mine, shows the property is growing less fond of award bookings, regardless of status. I was frankly surprised how poor of a room I received as a Globalist on my visit, and have seen others thrown in the same block of rooms. When I pointed out at check-in that a nicer room was available I was blown off and told they were sold out. I have a ton of points stays over the last few months and the Grand Hyatt recognition of status has been the poorest.
I'd be curious to know how many of those with Globalist status and poorer rooms were first-time guests. It seems like the GH has a lot of returning guests, and they seem to treat those (with Globalist status) very well.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by ahself
I'd be curious to know how many of those with Globalist status and poorer rooms were first-time guests. It seems like the GH has a lot of returning guests, and they seem to treat those (with Globalist status) very well.
That is bizarre logic. Every repeat guest starts out as a first time guest. The hospitality during the initial impression creates the repeat. You may get better treatment on your sixth stay as opposed to your first, but all my favorite hotel/resorts treated me well from the first stay.

That's too bad if they don't give a nicer room if available. Where is the thank you for the continued loyalty and business to the Hyatt brand? Isn't that what all these loyalty programs are about?
friedablass and brodielayne like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by alextrips
That is bizarre logic. Every repeat guest starts out as a first time guest. The hospitality during the initial impression creates the repeat. You may get better treatment on your sixth stay as opposed to your first, but all my favorite hotel/resorts treated me well from the first stay.

That's too bad if they don't give a nicer room if available. Where is the thank you for the continued loyalty and business to the Hyatt brand? Isn't that what all these loyalty programs are about?
On point. And the fact that they were still selling nicer rooms that I should have been upgraded into as a Globalist. I doubt I will ever return, unless I have something bringing me to Kauai outside of the actual resort.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by alextrips

I guess my point was that may be why some Globalists receive different types of rooms, e.g. a repeat Globalist may receive a better room (all other factors the same), but not sure.

Also, at a resort like this, nicer is relative. I'm guessing a first-time guest might be thrilled at receiving (being upgraded to) a grounds or ocean view room vs. a standard parking lot room. We've even seen that reaction from comments in this thread.

Lastly, regarding brodielayne's anecdotal evidence - The number of users on this thread comparing notes is such a tiny fraction of the total number that stay at the GH. Our standards are probably much higher than a normal (especially first-time) Globalist staying at the GH since we know what's possible, what we could expect, strategies to achieve those expectations, etc.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I've stayed here six times, some as Diamond, some as Globalist, I've spent tens of thousands here, including hosting our wedding (many of our guests stayed here too).

The only real upgrade I've gotten was on our paid Deluxe Ocean View to Ocean View Suite, as a Platinum (during HGP), during our first stay. (Interestingly, this suite was on the sixth floor overlooking the pool, smaller than the other Suites I've stayed in)

On subsequent stays I used Suite Upgrade Awards and was assigned the basic Garden View Suites.

I have successfully negotiated cash upgrades though to Deluxe Suites and one of their Presidential Suites.

Between those who are Globalist/Lifetime, those who pay cash vs points, those who are simply rich, and those who've stayed 1 time, 5 times or 20 times, (not to mention the simple question of how full the hotel is) I think one would have a veryyyy difficult time figuring out if there's rhyme and reason to any of it.... short of input from the hotel itself.
TerryK and ahself like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ahself
I guess my point was that may be why some Globalists receive different types of rooms, e.g. a repeat Globalist may receive a better room (all other factors the same), but not sure.

Also, at a resort like this, nicer is relative. I'm guessing a first-time guest might be thrilled at receiving (being upgraded to) a grounds or ocean view room vs. a standard parking lot room. We've even seen that reaction from comments in this thread.

Lastly, regarding brodielayne's anecdotal evidence - The number of users on this thread comparing notes is such a tiny fraction of the total number that stay at the GH. Our standards are probably much higher than a normal (especially first-time) Globalist staying at the GH since we know what's possible, what we could expect, strategies to achieve those expectations, etc.
World of Hyatt’s benefits are pretty clear, I would encourage you to revisit them so you better understand my gripe.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
World of Hyatt’s benefits are pretty clear, I would encourage you to revisit them so you better understand my gripe.
Seems like you need to review them objectively and not according to what you wished had happened. In no place in their terms does it state they should grant you a "nicer" room than what you got. More specifically, you got a Garden Suite, which is the GH's "standard suite." WoH's terms for Globalists states: "Room upgrade 'Including Standard Suites.'" They're not obligated to upgrade you beyond that, as pool and other suites are considered deluxe/premium suites. There are other posts in this thread from Globalists stating that they received Garden Suites with suite bookings and upgrade awards, but nothing beyond that...just see joecool's post right before yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.