Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I had 1026, and It was not my favorite suite compared to 2018. In 2018 I had 1038 in the same hallway. 1038 was on the corner with with a better view/patio and much nicer layout IMO. I would request that one specifically, via email in advance. 1026 did feel like it had more room though, I think it all depends on what you are looking for. I guess its sad to me you can't get a suite on a higher floor. Depending on your circumstances, and needs for a suite, Next time Personally I would prefer a standard room non ground floor with a better ocean view.

On the 4th and 5th it certainly felt super busy. I would gauge mask compliance in the common areas at around 25%. Employees aren't enforcing it. Given that many hotel common areas are partially outdoor. Most people are ignoring it and not wearing a mask... Multiple employees quoted the 95% number so it could be wrong, but certainly the employees are saying it.
Do you recall if 1038 had a connecting room option? I have a booking for the standard suite + a connecting 2 Queen, and am trying to do some digging on specific rooms to request - 1038 looks to be in a good spot with a nice view, but I would have to pass if no connecting option. Same question for 1026 - and what didn't you like about it? I think it faces the lawn, with the ocean off to the right so probably not the best direct view compared to 1038? Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FoCo Finch
Do you recall if 1038 had a connecting room option? I have a booking for the standard suite + a connecting 2 Queen, and am trying to do some digging on specific rooms to request - 1038 looks to be in a good spot with a nice view, but I would have to pass if no connecting option. Same question for 1026 - and what didn't you like about it? I think it faces the lawn, with the ocean off to the right so probably not the best direct view compared to 1038? Thanks for any help!
I am sorry, I don't remember if either room had connecting rooms, but I am sure you could confirm via your concierge or twitter.

Personally, between the two, I preferred 1038, It was the corner, and had windows facing both the ocean and pool area. 1026 I just felt had a huge living area that seemed unnecessary. That being said, if you are looking for space, 1026 seemed much bigger.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:02 pm

I am sorry, I don't remember if either room had connecting rooms, but I am sure you could confirm via your concierge or twitter.

Personally, between the two, I preferred 1038, It was the corner, and had windows facing both the ocean and pool area. 1026 I just felt had a huge living area that seemed unnecessary. That being said, if you are looking for space, 1026 seemed much bigger.
Thanks! More interested in view and convenient location than size. Either should be plenty large. Will contact the glob line to inquire as concierge has a habit of not responding :-(

Appreciate the thoughts - we are looking forward to our trip!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:30 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FoCo Finch
Thanks! More interested in view and convenient location than size. Either should be plenty large. Will contact the glob line to inquire as concierge has a habit of not responding :-(

Appreciate the thoughts - we are looking forward to our trip!
I think the corner room 1038 had a better view personally because it had two angles... that being said, I am not a huge fan of the suites views because they are all ground floor and what the hotel would consider partial ocean view. If you don't need the space, personally I would fight for a higher floor normal king room that has a full ocean view.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:19 am

I think the corner room 1038 had a better view personally because it had two angles... that being said, I am not a huge fan of the suites views because they are all ground floor and what the hotel would consider partial ocean view. If you don't need the space, personally I would fight for a higher floor normal king room that has a full ocean view.
I’m also curious about this as view seems more important for a couple at a place like this. It’s really hard to tell based on the pictures online but it looks like the suites have been updated much more recently and seem much nicer than the standard king rooms - is this true or are the king rooms updated as well? (In my opinion the king room pictures look 10-15 years outdated)
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:12 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by Cmag211
I’m also curious about this as view seems more important for a couple at a place like this. It’s really hard to tell based on the pictures online but it looks like the suites have been updated much more recently and seem much nicer than the standard king rooms - is this true or are the king rooms updated as well? (In my opinion the king room pictures look 10-15 years outdated)
We saw the most basic 2-Queen accessible room overlooking the parking lot as they allowed us to move there for the last afternoon so we could have late check out at 4pm (they moved all of our things when we went over to Poipu Beach after breakfast). It had very similar bathroom fixtures (including the Japanese toilet) and the very large TV we had in our suite living room. It looked like it had been updated at about the same time. I would argue that the suite trumped the view as you can just go walk outside to the ocean view anytime, and I liked having direct access to the pool/beach but everyone is different.
cebee and Cmag211 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 1:59 pm

We had that basic parking lot view from our 6th floor room but every time we walked down the hallway, wow, that ocean view was stunning.

I don't think I've ever come home from a vacation and immediately wanted to save up points to go again like this.
pjs likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:51 am

It is like that. The whole island of Kauai is on its own level. Other great resorts like the GH Baha Mar, or PH St Kitts will not leave you feeling the same way as the GH Kauai (and the island of Kauai). There are definitely other vacations that can rival the beauty of Kauai, and the offerings of the GH Kauai; but it is a small list. Long term - I worry about how the resort will be refurbished. My spouse doesn't dislike the rooms at the GH Kauai by any stretch, but she does like the PH St Kitt rooms better. I enjoy the quintessential Hawaiian feel the rooms have. I've seen photos of some refurbished rooms GH Kauai is trying out; and the rooms look like they have had their soul removed from them (overly dramatic? Maybe...).

Has anyone stayed in one of the new white-generic-modern rooms? Has anyone stayed in both the new generic rooms, and the old rooms?

Originally Posted by cebee
We had that basic parking lot view from our 6th floor room but every time we walked down the hallway, wow, that ocean view was stunning.

I don't think I've ever come home from a vacation and immediately wanted to save up points to go again like this.
cebee likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by factory81
<snip>I enjoy the quintessential Hawaiian feel the rooms have. I've seen photos of some refurbished rooms GH Kauai is trying out; and the rooms look like they have had their soul removed from them (overly dramatic? Maybe...).
I lived in Hawaii for ~4.5yrs and I have to say anytime I hear somebody say, "quintessential Hawaiian" I automatically think "old/dated" but to each their own...

Regards
bbbb, ryandc99 and TravelingChef like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scubadu
I lived in Hawaii for ~4.5yrs and I have to say anytime I hear somebody say, "quintessential Hawaiian" I automatically think "old/dated" but to each their own...

Regards
That was/is my first thought as well. I've avoided GH Kauai (and most Hawaiian properties?) for that very reason. I understand it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but I don't want to feel like I'm being transported to the 80s. If they do a full renovation with modern rooms I'll be the first to book 7 nights there in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by TravelingChef
That was/is my first thought as well. I've avoided GH Kauai (and most Hawaiian properties?) for that very reason. I understand it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but I don't want to feel like I'm being transported to the 80s. If they do a full renovation with modern rooms I'll be the first to book 7 nights there in a heartbeat.
No way. Sign me up for straight up 1970s Elvis Aloha from Hawaii garish tiki decor any day of the week. I don't need the rooms looking like every other whitewashed "modern" resort.
skj and factory81 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Here's an example of a "modern" Hawaiian hotel.......no thanks!
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/ac-hotel-maui-wailea/
ryandc99 and factory81 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jch636
Here's an example of a "modern" Hawaiian hotel.......no thanks!
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/ac-hotel-maui-wailea/
My general reference point for modern Hawaii hotels is the Andaz, where I typically stay a couple of times a year since it opened. I know it's not for everybody (a big part of its appeal for me), and people's many issues with it are well documented in that thread. But given that 90%+ of the hotel interiors across the Hawaiian islands look like they're from the 1970s Brady Bunch era, y'all are more than well served.
wilma likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
No way. Sign me up for straight up 1970s Elvis Aloha from Hawaii garish tiki decor any day of the week. I don't need the rooms looking like every other whitewashed "modern" resort.
I would agree however I think there can be a good balance between "1970's Elvis Blue Hawaii" and "Modern White Box".

I think the Four Seasons does a pretty good job at their Hawaiian resorts of blending traditional and modern elements. It's updated but still has nice influences that remind you of being in Hawaii.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:54 am
pjs

I felt like our suite was nicely maintained and had all the modern touches, especially in the bathroom (lighted mirror, Japanese toilet, soaking tub). The only negative about the room was the lack of outlets (and no USB connections) in both the bedroom and living area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.