Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How is this hotel with suite upgrades for globalists?

They seem to have a room type called "standard suite" but from a few random searches, this room rarely (never?) seems to actually have availability. Also the room description is identical to the "deluxe suite".
I've only stayed as Diamond/Globalist with pre-booked suites. I was never offered a comp upgrade to a better suite. It sounds like a comp suite upgrade is fairly uncommon, though I imagine it's still possible. I think the suite that Globalists normally get is typically pre-booked year round.
Ironically, on my first stay in 2013 as a lowly platinum (Discoverist), I paid a cash rate for a Deluxe Ocean View room and was upgraded to a Ocean View Suite- albeit it was the smallest of the three types of Ocean View Suites.
Unless things have changed, these are the suites:
Standard Suite (AKA Garden Suite)--- floor 1, poipu wing. Living space, kitchen table, separate bedroom, full bathroom with tub and separate shower. AFAIK, this is the suite you receive when using a TSU or when booking a suite with points, or upgrading to a suite with points. As you noted, seems to have limited availability--- most likely because of it's popularity, but I suppose it is possible the hotel puts inventory controls on it.
Ocean Suite: mostly floor 2 poipu wing with a small version floor 6 shipwreck wing, room 6083. These are mostly situated directly above Standard Suites. Identical in layout to Standard suites in most cases with the difference being a better view of the Ocean. Room 2038 is a corner Ocean Suite which has a larger living space and a small balcony off the bedroom in addition to the oversized balcony off the living room. It's possible that room was reclassified as Deluxe Suite since my stay, but don't think so.
Pool Suite: aside from the hotel's description I know nothing about this category.
Deluxe Suite: both poipu wing and shipwreck wing corner suites. I believe there are 6 of them, but not 100% sure. If you book this category I'd request 5127 or 6127. 5127 has a large terrace overlooking the pool, 6127 has a small terrace overlooking the pool. Both have balconies overlooking more of the pool and the ocean.
Presidential Suite: There are two of these, but I've only stayed in 6026. Fantastic and gigantic rooms with full kitchen, dining area, living area, entertainment area, giant hot tub in the bath, and three balconies. One of the balconies is off the bedroom, one is off the living room (mainly just an overlook), and one spans the width of the main living spaces and features 2 chaises and a table for 4. Of course 6026 is my recommendation ;-)

My room guide is 3.5 years old now, but most of it is still relevant: The Grand Hyatt Kauai: A Room Guide ? JoePro Travel
sam_goh likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Historically not good because they just sell out. If and when obtained they are usually first-floor walkouts.

We received one once, but since then Mrs. Jayer has declined them as being claustrophobic.

The good thing about Hyatt status or repeat visits here is they have so many good-view rooms the odds of getting a good to great view over no view are quite high. But if it takes a suite to make your vacation I would not "gamble" on it.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 18, 2019 at 8:53 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:10 am

Compared to andaz Maui

I am planning my second trip to Hawaii and would like some info on how this resort compares to andaz Maui.

My first trip trip to Hawaii I did 3 nights at Andaz Maui and one night at the regency Maui. We loved the andaz but really disliked the regency. We felt the regency was old, outdated, and the clientele was noticeably different than the andaz. I also liked the smaller size and more luxurious feel of the property.

Wiuld you say this property is more aimilar to andaz Maui or the Maui regency, and why? I know the grand Hyatt is an old property but have they done nice renovations? Deciding between going back to the andaz or trying something new.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slm9555
I am planning my second trip to Hawaii and would like some info on how this resort compares to andaz Maui.

My first trip trip to Hawaii I did 3 nights at Andaz Maui and one night at the regency Maui. We loved the andaz but really disliked the regency. We felt the regency was old, outdated, and the clientele was noticeably different than the andaz. I also liked the smaller size and more luxurious feel of the property.

Wiuld you say this property is more aimilar to andaz Maui or the Maui regency, and why? I know the grand Hyatt is an old property but have they done nice renovations? Deciding between going back to the andaz or trying something new.
Of the 2 properties you mention, the GH Kauai is more similar to the HR Maui than the Andaz Maui. It's a large resort and is usually full, or close to it. Both are popular convention properties, but even with half of the guests in conference rooms, it can be a challenge to find a lounge by the pools, particularly if you want something with some shade. The rooms at the GHK were renovated maybe 4 or 5 years ago now, but not much was changed, at least that's how it looked to me. Both GHK and HRM have nice clubs with excellent staff, but they can be overrun at times. If you really disliked the HR Maui, I suspect you wouldn't like GHK, and would suggest you return to the Andaz. Of course, if you intend to leave any of the properties, Kauai is a very different island than Maui. Exploring Kauai may be reason to go enough to the GHK even if it's not the Andaz. We greatly prefer Kauai over Maui, and the GHK serves us well when we visit.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Of course, if you intend to leave any of the properties, Kauai is a very different island than Maui. Exploring Kauai may be reason to go enough to the GHK even if it's not the Andaz. We greatly prefer Kauai over Maui, and the GHK serves us well when we visit.
This. We liked the Andaz way way better than the GH Kauai. But we liked kauai way better than Maui. If all you want to do is lounge on property and maybe venture closeby for dinner, then definitely the Andaz. We found the restaurants and hiking off property to be way better on Kauai.
bez7 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

They seem to have a room type called "standard suite" but from a few random searches, this room rarely (never?) seems to actually have availability. Also the room description is identical to the "deluxe suite".
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I've only stayed as Diamond/Globalist with pre-booked suites. I was never offered a comp upgrade to a better suite. It sounds like a comp suite upgrade is fairly uncommon, though I imagine it's still possible. I think the suite that Globalists normally get is typically pre-booked year round.
Ironically, on my first stay in 2013 as a lowly platinum (Discoverist), I paid a cash rate for a Deluxe Ocean View room and was upgraded to a Ocean View Suite- albeit it was the smallest of the three types of Ocean View Suites.
Unless things have changed, these are the suites:
Standard Suite (AKA Garden Suite)--- floor 1, poipu wing. Living space, kitchen table, separate bedroom, full bathroom with tub and separate shower. AFAIK, this is the suite you receive when using a TSU or when booking a suite with points, or upgrading to a suite with points. As you noted, seems to have limited availability--- most likely because of it's popularity, but I suppose it is possible the hotel puts inventory controls on it.
Ocean Suite: mostly floor 2 poipu wing with a small version floor 6 shipwreck wing, room 6083. These are mostly situated directly above Standard Suites. Identical in layout to Standard suites in most cases with the difference being a better view of the Ocean. Room 2038 is a corner Ocean Suite which has a larger living space and a small balcony off the bedroom in addition to the oversized balcony off the living room. It's possible that room was reclassified as Deluxe Suite since my stay, but don't think so.
Pool Suite: aside from the hotel's description I know nothing about this category.
Deluxe Suite: both poipu wing and shipwreck wing corner suites. I believe there are 6 of them, but not 100% sure. If you book this category I'd request 5127 or 6127. 5127 has a large terrace overlooking the pool, 6127 has a small terrace overlooking the pool. Both have balconies overlooking more of the pool and the ocean.
Presidential Suite: There are two of these, but I've only stayed in 6026. Fantastic and gigantic rooms with full kitchen, dining area, living area, entertainment area, giant hot tub in the bath, and three balconies. One of the balconies is off the bedroom, one is off the living room (mainly just an overlook), and one spans the width of the main living spaces and features 2 chaises and a table for 4. Of course 6026 is my recommendation ;-)

My room guide is 3.5 years old now, but most of it is still relevant: The Grand Hyatt Kauai: A Room Guide ? JoePro Travel
Originally Posted by jayer
Historically not good because they just sell out. If and when obtained they are usually first-floor walkouts.

We received one once, but since then Mrs. Jayer has declined them as being claustrophobic.

The good thing about status ir repeat visits here is they have so many good-view rooms the odds of getting a good to great view over no view are quite high. But if it takes a suite to make your vacation I would not "gamble" on it.
Well, I don't want to jinx it..... But I've stayed here as a Diamond/globalist 3 times in the past few years, and we've been upgraded to spectacular ocean view suites each time, including the presidential once. Some shoulder season, but one stay was in late December.

I try to confirm the standard suite in advance (successful on past 2 stays), and the further upgrades have been proactive.

​​​​​ It sounds like YMMV.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Your question which is better is largely dependent on what you want to do. Part of that is what you do off property.

Maui has far better snorkeling and swimming beach quality by orders of magnitude. Particularly in the immediate vicinity of the hotels in question (this point cannot be overstated).

For sightseeing and relaxing Kauai is better. Even with the road still closed at Hanalei.

The lagoon pool in Kauai is in a better universe for floating away the afternoon. Unless you really prefer standing at the edge of a pool with a drink and looking out to sea. Which you can do better at the Andaz.

I find the food better in Kauai. Partly because it is less pretentious. Especially at the non-stratospheric off-property lunch places, but also extending to the on-property flagships.

The hotel personalities are different. I liked the Andaz but it is more uppity than Kauai. But Mrs. Jayer hated the Andaz, both for personality and room furnishing quality/size.

Kauai is definitely more comfortable without the worn-out feel I got from the Maui Hyatt. I love the place but understand why a younger person might not.

What do you want your trip to be?
bsdstone and bez7 like this.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 18, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

GH Kauai is in a class of its own .. the star of the property is the property itself and of course the island of Kauai. It's a big resort, not an upscale modern boutique property like the Andaz, and nicer than the family oriented HR Maui.

-David
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:04 pm

Anyone have the GM's email address?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
This. We liked the Andaz way way better than the GH Kauai. But we liked kauai way better than Maui. If all you want to do is lounge on property and maybe venture closeby for dinner, then definitely the Andaz. We found the restaurants and hiking off property to be way better on Kauai.
We love both Maui and Kauai. Kauai is very relaxed. Maui has better snorkeling and swimming beaches. So we're always torn, do we book a condo in Kapalua or the Grand Hyatt on Kauai???
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bez7
We love both Maui and Kauai. Kauai is very relaxed. Maui has better snorkeling and swimming beaches. So we're always torn, do we book a condo in Kapalua or the Grand Hyatt on Kauai???
Sounds like you need to try a condo near a Poipu snorkeling beach.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Staying there this summer for the first time for 5 nights. There is a standard suite avaialble that I can use an upgrade for. However, we are a family of 4, and the max occupancy is 3.

Does a anyone have any experience in booking this room and requesting rollaway beds? The couch doesn’t appear to be a sofa sleeper.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
We have stayed in the entry level suite multiple times with my 2 kids, and the staff were always happy to send us 2 rollaway beds (The first year I called ahead of time to confirm that it would be OK just to be safe). The suite is certainly big enough for the rollaways, and you are correct that the sofa is not a pull out bed.

My kids are now 12 and 14, so this year we are going to book 2 regular rooms vs a suite (mostly for the sake of having an additional bathroom); but the suite option with rollaways always suited us just fine. Hope this helps.
Chukiechz likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
We have stayed in the entry level suite multiple times with my 2 kids, and the staff were always happy to send us 2 rollaway beds (The first year I called ahead of time to confirm that it would be OK just to be safe). The suite is certainly big enough for the rollaways, and you are correct that the sofa is not a pull out bed.

My kids are now 12 and 14, so this year we are going to book 2 regular rooms vs a suite (mostly for the sake of having an additional bathroom); but the suite option with rollaways always suited us just fine. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. My concierge said it wasnt possible to book since the max occupancy is 3 per fire code.

edit: GH reservations said to make the reservation for 3 and then they'll bring up to one roller. Im sure I can ask for or pay for another when i get there. They only had the suite available for 4 of the 5 nights. So I took it and hope something opens up when i get there.

Last edited by Chukiechz; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:10 pm

Suite upgrades on points reservations?

EI’ve looked through the thread but have yet to see the answer to this. Is it possible to do a cash upgrade to a suite on a points stay? If so, is there a rule of thumb on what to expect as far as cost or even in how to discuss options with the front desk?

I imagine this has been discussed somewhere so forgive me for bringing this up again!

Last edited by cheapblackdad; Mar 18, 2019 at 5:33 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.