Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I would think just being at the Grand Hyatt Kauai would be good enough. It's not exactly a dump.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jayer
But if you do not have a frequent stay history with the hotel, and/or more than baseline World of Hyatt status you are counting on the kindness of strangers. If the hotel is packed in all likelihood that leaves you down the list for free favors.
As I've experienced and others have noted, even WITH top tier status and a frequent stay history, expect nothing more than you are entitled to based on status. Unlikely there is anything more you're going to get. I wouldn't fret too much on the room type or location.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just checked in for a 3 night stay. This hotel is in need of a serious refresh. Aged furnishings and dirty carpets. Bathrooms are also in terrible shape, I’ve had nicer bathrooms at Hilton DoubleTree hotels.

Im also surprise they are charging $4 for a Corona in the club, quite stingy imo. There are much lower priced hotels who at least offer complimentary beer and wine.

Overall not sure what to make of it, maybe this place is popular due to lack of other properties on the island, personally I would take the Andaz Maui over this property any day of the week.

The service feels more like a factory machine than a high end hotel.

Old May 29, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Just checked in for a 3 night stay. This hotel is in need of a serious refresh. Aged furnishings and dirty carpets. Bathrooms are also in terrible shape, I’ve had nicer bathrooms at Hilton DoubleTree hotels.

Im also surprise they are charging $4 for a Corona in the club, quite stingy imo. There are much lower priced hotels who at least offer complimentary beer and wine.

Overall not sure what to make of it, maybe this place is popular due to lack of other properties on the island, personally I would take the Andaz Maui over this property any day of the week.

The service feels more like a factory machine than a high end hotel.

Them's fighting words on here!

In all seriousness, thanks for the counterpoint. I'm staying in mid april for 5N and trying to get all the intel as possibel.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Them's fighting words on here!

In all seriousness, thanks for the counterpoint. I'm staying in mid april for 5N and trying to get all the intel as possibel.
Yeah, things must have really deteriorated quickly.
gumercindo likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yeah, things must have really deteriorated quickly.
Or was it the $4 Corona that set things into a spiral? Hard to say isn't it?
bbbb likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Or was it the $4 Corona that set things into a spiral? Hard to say isn't it?
Well as a follow up, we were placed in a room with a dirty bed and the bathtub didn't drain. Mentioned to the front desk who offered us a $200 resort credit or points to move rooms, however they did imply the draining was a common issue. The corona isn't a huge deal for me as I stocked up at Costco, just an observation. When people are paying $600+ a night to stay at your property it's not that hard to throw in a few bottles of beer that probably cost the hotel $0.50 each to a subset of people with club access instead of gouging them at every opportunity.

Overall I'd say the property is just ok but I wouldn't return and it's certainly not on the same level as the Andaz Maui. Not considering average rack rate, I'd say this property should be classified as a Cat5.

I did enjoy Stevenson's sushi, fairly high quality fish and the prices were reasonable for what they offered.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
We're staying for 5 nights next month with two connecting pool view rooms. For a weird set of reasons, we're freaks who affirmatively want to be near the parking lot on the ground floor of the Shipwreck Wing (we even chose not to book via Virtuoso, because we usually go out for breakfasts and didn't want an upgrade, so the rack Virtuoso rate didn't make sense).

What's the best way/time to make a request for such relatively crummy rooms?
Old May 31, 2018, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I would think just being at the Grand Hyatt Kauai would be good enough. It's not exactly a dump.
It's not a dump, but I also don't quite get the enthusiasm of a lot of the fans. We just completed a 5-night stay here, and I'm currently filling out the post-stay survey I was sent. The room is ready for another refresh -- we had a broken toilet, broken screen door, malfunctioning ceiling fan, and lots of dinged up furniture. The hotel is giant, and although staff are friendly, there are definite service lapses -- no priority check-in, our room marked for a 11am checkout without telling us (despite my request for late check-out). What struck me most is how expensive everything has gotten. The survey asks about "value for money" -- what world must one live in to think $600/nt for a base room here (or $1000 for an ocean view) is good value? The club was fine by US standards, although nothing special (except for the opportunity to marvel at how much stuff people carry out -- the maximizers are really having a field day here). I would think that anyone who's only doing one family vacation a year will be happy here, but if you've seen lots and lots of other resorts, you'll find it pretty average.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jpdx
It's not a dump, but I also don't quite get the enthusiasm of a lot of the fans. We just completed a 5-night stay here, and I'm currently filling out the post-stay survey I was sent. The room is ready for another refresh -- we had a broken toilet, broken screen door, malfunctioning ceiling fan, and lots of dinged up furniture. The hotel is giant, and although staff are friendly, there are definite service lapses -- no priority check-in, our room marked for a 11am checkout without telling us (despite my request for late check-out). What struck me most is how expensive everything has gotten. The survey asks about "value for money" -- what world must one live in to think $600/nt for a base room here (or $1000 for an ocean view) is good value? The club was fine by US standards, although nothing special (except for the opportunity to marvel at how much stuff people carry out -- the maximizers are really having a field day here). I would think that anyone who's only doing one family vacation a year will be happy here, but if you've seen lots and lots of other resorts, you'll find it pretty average.
I'd call myself a fan, having been 5 years in a row, hosting my wedding there, staying at least a couple nights in basically every suite category (except the new "pool suite") along with a couple regular room nights of various categories.

Yes, the rooms need a refresh/update. Even the best room at the hotel lags a bit in this regard.

When comparing to other high end properties, consider a few things: location for one. If we want to go to Kauai (and that's a huge part of the draw to me... I haven't desired to try other islands ever since I've been to Kauai)... what other properties are there on the island? St. Regis is the only one that compares based on what I've seen, but I've never had status there, and my SPG balance is pitiful compared to my Hyatt and UR ones. And I don't think it can be debated that the outdoor spaces at Hyatt beat out St. Regis.

If we expand the radius to encompass all of Hawaii, what other hotels are out there that compete? Andaz sounds nice and certainly appears more upscale, but I've also heard what a nightmare it is to get it via award. Cost per night seems similar to GH, but just looked at a couple sets of days.

Other chains in Hawaii have some decent/better properties I'm sure. Certainly interested in Grand Wailea.

But yeah, a lot of my enthusiasm is because on top of how much I enjoy the resort, I adore Kauai.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:41 pm

Glad I am not the only one who sees this! I would agree many people in this thread are very attached to this property and slightly oblivious about how good it really is.

Last edited by invalyd; May 31, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by joecool1885
When comparing to other high end properties, consider a few things: location for one. If we want to go to Kauai (and that's a huge part of the draw to me... I haven't desired to try other islands ever since I've been to Kauai)... what other properties are there on the island? St. Regis is the only one that compares based on what I've seen, but I've never had status there, and my SPG balance is pitiful compared to my Hyatt and UR ones. And I don't think it can be debated that the outdoor spaces at Hyatt beat out St. Regis.
I think it all depends what you want. For a family vacation where a big pool is important, the GH is the best option in Kauai, and probably in the top-5 in all of Hawaii. If the pool doesn't matter, there are lots of better (and cheaper) options. The location is also a matter of personal preference -- we like Hanalei much better than Poipu. And while the GH has a great pool, the beach is not swimmable (for most guests). The SR posted rates are similar to the GH's these days, but with SPG's more honest BRG (sadly, currently under assault by Marriott), we had a rate of just under $300/nt last year. We also spent 3 nights at Koa Kea, for which I won a 3-night stay certificate at a charity auction for $330 (I had never heard of it, but nobody else bid). Their usual prices seem to be in the $400/nt range, and if I got it for sale for $300/nt, the savings would drive me there instead of the GH. The rooms are smaller, but the staff were great, and it has a much better (and swimmable) beach. The Sheraton also sits on a better beach than the GH, and with rates in the $200 range attainable there, it's worth considering. Once you open it up to other islands, I think there's a lot of competition -- we (not pool people) would prefer the Andaz and Fairmont on Maui (didn't like the Grand Wailea), and there are a number of good options on the Big Island (with the new Westin being exceptionally good value right now).

All that said, the GH treated us well -- an ocean view room upgrade on a high occupancy weekend, waived resort fee, a holding room for late check-out -- and I'm in no way calling it a dump. However, I would call into question the judgment of people staying on $600-1000 rates there (this must be the majority of their guests). At that level, you're in Bora Bora Overwater Bungalow territory, and IMO it's insanity to burn that kind of money for a Hyatt in Hawaii. That probably doesn't matter to most FTers, though, as the hotel is good value on points and C&P (if Hyatt based categories on cash rates, like SPG does, the GH would certainly be a Cat 7).
invalyd likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I. However, I would call into question the judgment of people staying on $600-1000 rates there (this must be the majority of their guests). ..
The majority is there on 300-400/nt costco packages with breakfast.
StR is far more expensive on most dates i checked even if booked outright.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not a dump, but I also don't quite get the enthusiasm of a lot of the fans.
For a family vacation where a big pool is important, the GH is the best option in Kauai
we like Hanalei much better than Poipu.
With you on all points. I'm not a pool person, was unimpressed by GH, and much prefer Hanalei and north shore beaches.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
With you on all points. I'm not a pool person, was unimpressed by GH, and much prefer Hanalei and north shore beaches.
The north shore is beautiful but i would never recommend it for anything other than a day or two visit unless you get to or plan to get to Kauai frequently. I can't imagine the vacation of a lifetime and a week or two of nothing but daily downpours and flooding. Granted, chances are your trip will be just fine, but you need to be prepared to be drenched and it can happen any time of the year (sometimes more likely than others).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.