Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
I will be staying at the GH Kauai May 7th through the 14th. I am using 175k Hyatt points for the entire trip. I notice on my confirmation receipt that I will be charged $35 a daily resort fee for my stay. I thought award nights will not be charged resort fees? or did something change? I am just an Explorist status.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by plzkthx
I will be staying at the GH Kauai May 7th through the 14th. I am using 175k Hyatt points for the entire trip. I notice on my confirmation receipt that I will be charged $35 a daily resort fee for my stay. I thought award nights will not be charged resort fees? or did something change? I am just an Explorist status.
Hmmm, nothing has changed. If you are using all points then resort fee should be waived.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:48 pm

Here now. Several issues from the start. No diamond recognition or acknowledgment, forcing me to inquire to get info on club, etc. Had to mention diamond benefits when resort fee mentioned. Couldn't find club because was told it was clearly marked when I asked where it was instead of being given the room number.

In room, hairs in shower on arrival, broken bidet on toilet, items not restocked in room. Notified them and more than appropriate compensation given. Next day, toilet still not fixed, and exterior door to one of my two rooms does not latch, so anyone could push it open. Didn't realize it until today because it looks like it closes, but doesn't actually latch shut. Now waiting on maintenance instead of heading out. Bathroom counter still has at least 11 hairs scattered on it that aren't ours. Not pleased and frankly expecting more issues at check out and such.

Bills were correct at checkout. Housekeeping never got the hairs all removed even after housekeeping manager came and cleaned. Can't imagine why that was so hard. Overall, a fine enough stay (due to generous compensation for the issues) but I would have rather had no issues and they could have kept the credit they gave me. I paid a bit over 300 a night and was not super happy...would have been incensed at 500+.

Last edited by antonius66; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahself
Your post had me a little worried about an upcoming stay. I decided to call the hotel to find out more.
The Salt Water Lagoon renovations are supposed to be complete by Dec. 9th. I found this on their site as well.
The Grand Club Lounge renovations are supposed to be complete by Dec. 15th.
FYI - Lagoon is open, but major construction still going on in the Grand Club. As of 2 days ago, they were hoping to now open it on 12/21, but it has a way to go. They also seemed to be doing some construction on the guestroom next to the Grand Club, so not sure if they're expanding the club or just using this as an excuse to update something in that room at the same time.

Other than getting water bottles, I've avoided the temporary lounge which is rather cramped and seems to have more limited offerings than the full club had the last time we were here (though the staff is as friendly and helpful as ever). However, since I booked a AAA breakfast rate, we haven't been missing it too much since we much prefer the buffet over the club breakfast anyways.

Property is gorgeous as ever, and we love the ocean view suite we got this time with our TSU. The 3rd floor suite we have has very nice ocean views (though not as good as floors 4-6) but walks out to a grass lawn like the garden view suites on 1 & 2 and aren't as dark/damp as the garden suites, so sort of the best of both worlds.

Also enjoying all the new and updated restaurants in Koloa/Poipu from our last visit as well -- the food options seem to be getting better and better every trip (which used to be our one complaint vs. Maui).
bsdstone likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi there,
Looking for advice, have a 4 day stay in June next year. Was looking to a apply a suite upgrade, but there is only STD suite availability for the first 2 nights, tried asking to confirm that and move after the 2nd night and WOH said we can't do upgrades for partial stays, even tried multiple reservations, no good. Anyone have any advice to try and make this work? Will calling/emailing the property possibly help for them to accommodate?

I'm not really willing to wait and roll the dice on arrival for a possible upgrade I would prefer to confirm ahead of time.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
They also seemed to be doing some construction on the guestroom next to the Grand Club, so not sure if they're expanding the club or just using this as an excuse to update something in that room at the same time.
Room to the east being sacrificed as part of the expansion. Really don't remember if all for prep area or part for seating, but biggest driver was that cramped OSHA fine waiting to happen prep area.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN
Hi there,
Looking for advice, have a 4 day stay in June next year. Was looking to a apply a suite upgrade, but there is only STD suite availability for the first 2 nights, tried asking to confirm that and move after the 2nd night and WOH said we can't do upgrades for partial stays, even tried multiple reservations, no good. Anyone have any advice to try and make this work? Will calling/emailing the property possibly help for them to accommodate?

I'm not really willing to wait and roll the dice on arrival for a possible upgrade I would prefer to confirm ahead of time.
Why is multiple reservations no good? Really that'd be the only way to do it. Book the two nights with the suite available on one reservation and the other two on a seperate one. Of course if the two nights where the suite is available are not consecutive, it's a different story.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Why is multiple reservations no good? Really that'd be the only way to do it. Book the two nights with the suite available on one reservation and the other two on a seperate one. Of course if the two nights where the suite is available are not consecutive, it's a different story.
They were but the agent refused to do it, and said the system would reject it if it detected consecutive stays with different room types. I moved around my dates to accommodate, but I was a bit disappointed there was like 0 flexibility.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN
They were but the agent refused to do it, and said the system would reject it if it detected consecutive stays with different room types. I moved around my dates to accommodate, but I was a bit disappointed there was like 0 flexibility.
Some agents seem to believe this can't be done. I have found that if you call and provide your WoH# they can see all your reservations and will decline such requests, but if you only provide the confirmation # of the reservation you wish to upgrade, they will apply it without any issues.
TommyboyCAN likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Pool Suite

I noticed a new suite type, "Pool Suite". Anyone had a chance to stay in one yet? It's smaller than the entry level suite, but is more expensive (perhaps due to location).

Pool Suite
Overlooking our award-winning multi-level pools, these centrally located suites feature over 800 square feet of contemporary Hawaiian furnishings. A king sized bed, 48-inch television and a separate sitting area highlight the guest room. The living room hosts a full size sofa sleeper, 65-inch television, wet bar, coffee maker and refrigerator. These new suites showcase a large guest bath complete with double marble sink vanity and walk in wet room. The spacious wet room includes a luxurious double shower and a free standing French tub.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:58 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Cgs230
Hey all,

I'm booking a trip to Kauai this summer for an anniversary. I see that free nights are listed at 25k per night, whereas the same rooms with Club Access (standard 1 king bed) are listed at 33k. I'm discoverist status so I don't have club access, and I'm curious to know anyone's thoughts.

Would love to hear anyone's experience with the breakfast either in the Club Lounge or at the regular part of the property.

Thanks!
Master Thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post16981705
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What value do you assign to a Hyatt Point? Perhaps 1.5 cents? If so, would you pay $120 for club access? I would’t. I have spent a week as a Diamond at the property and liked the club, but would rather have $120 every day to spend on food/beverages elsewhere.
Cgs230 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Personally, NO.
Cgs230 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I am here now, the club remodel is done and they added an extra seating area in the room to the east. Used a suite upgrade fo the garden suite, everything looks great, lagoon pool is redone and beautiful. Checking out today and moving to the marriott waoihai for a week! Very nice experience here, will miss being a diamond/globalist and likely will not return for a regular room!
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:27 pm

So what you're saying is that they turned the room that the Club staff used for storage, setup, and bringing new food out into the new seating area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.