Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why do people stay at Hyatt Place?

Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

I just finished another stay at a Hyatt Place and I left the place wondering why anybody actually stays there. I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question, but I’m serious. I truly dislike this brand and absolutely only stay there because I need the stay credits. I feel that their rooms are often run down, the staff is often bad, I don’t like the layout of the rooms, and their breakfast is inferior to most other free breakfasts at chains of similar caliber such as Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn.

And with all this being said, if they actually had competitive prices, perhaps I wouldn’t dislike them so much. But HP rates are always higher than the other hotels at their level and are often on par with or even higher than the higher-end hotels around them such as Hilton, Marriott, and even Hyatt. For example, around IAD there are numerous Hyatts and several HPs. I would expect the HPs to be much cheaper than the real Hyatts, but they are always about the same price. And an even better example, I needed a park&fly rate recently at BWI and I wanted to stay at the HP, but their rate was $129 and included 7 nts while the Hilton was $89 and included 14 nts. Does this place really think its worth more than the Hilton? Believe me, I’ve stayed at both and the HP should cost half what the Hilton does.

So back to my question…I know that I only stay at HP for the stay credit, and probably a lot here on this board do the same, but these hotels always seem full which means that a lot of people that don’t care about points or stay credits seem to like this chain and are willing to pay more to stay there. I’m just wondering if anybody here has an idea as to why?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I had an extended stay at HP this year.

The only reason why I did it was because it was more than 50% cheaper than a FS for the extended stay.

That said, if you are not Diamond at Hyatt, it doesn't make sense to do extended stays at FS hotels cause the breakfast can be pretty pricy
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Why?

Because most upper end Hyatt properties (HR, PH, GH) are located in large urban areas (at least in the US) and are usually quite expensive/over per diem. Haven't tried an Andaz yet but given that there are only 4 currently in North America, I'll likely not see one soon.

If you want to maintain status (assuming we're talking about FTs), then you go where you can make a reasonable matress run or are willing to accept what Hyatt provides at the location you're going to.

I personally dislike the HP BWI but it allowed me to make Platinum last year.

This year, I got the Hyatt CC which gives Platinum automatically. However, with all of the stays so far this year, I'd have made Platinum again - and that unfortunately was with only 1 HP stay - which I made because my daughter's soccer team decided to go to that HP as a group.

For myself, unless I need a cheap night for whatever reason, I'll not grace a HP again. That also goes for what's been the Summerfield Suites. Did an MR to the one in El Segundo to get 10K points. And even though I got the points, the price for the room still makes me mad.

For those who are Diamond, your travel patterns and/or expense accounts likely are very different than mine. I wouldn't mind making it to that level but, quite frankly, unless the upper end Hyatt's get cheaper, it will be a very unlikely event for me - or, unless Hyatt and Chase get their act together and do something akin to Hilton's AMEX Surpass.

David
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I'm at the HP Richmond Airport now. I can leave my car here on a prepaid rate of $84. Since I need 13 more stays after this one to keep diamond, I consider it a good deal since I don't have to pay $36 for daily parking at the airport. I will make it since most of my remaining hotel stays will be with Hyatt for the end of 2011.

The IAD market has a lot of extra weekend capacity, which is why FS properties with Hyatt and Marriott are often about the same price as the limited service ones on the weekends. I would not expect to see the HP go for a fire sale price ($50/night) because they tend to be smaller properties with fewer rooms to fill up. Hyatt Fair Lakes and Hyatt Dulles have around 300 rooms each. The basic costs do not go down if the hotel is half empty, and larger properties can make up the lower room rates with incidental spending more easily than a HP.

Because of this, I seldom stay at HP unless it is park and fly or a lack of availability at FS properties for weekend stays. Most of my weekend stays in the IAD area are under $95/night, including tax, with Hyatt. Marriott can be even cheaper at times, although breakfast is often not free on weekends.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm not a big fan of HP either (the rooms themselves with the HVAC being noisy and blowing on the bed and the vanity area being "in" the room - if your partner gets up and uses the area, the light wakes you up) as well as the breakfast. That said, I've occasionally stayed at one when there is no FS Hyatt in the area and I need the stays for requalification and sometimes for MR purposes (but that is rare since the FS Hyatt locally is closer and rates are very close).

I also agree, generally, that rooms are starting to wear since the mass renovation a few years ago and starting to show its age.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by srodr
I just finished another stay at a Hyatt Place and I left the place wondering why anybody actually stays there. I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question, but I’m serious. I truly dislike this brand and absolutely only stay there because I need the stay credits. I feel that their rooms are often run down, the staff is often bad, I don’t like the layout of the rooms, and their breakfast is inferior to most other free breakfasts at chains of similar caliber such as Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn.
Think that you have nailed it down quite well. The only thing I would ad are the horrid AC units.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
At the HPs I've stayed in, the staff has always been nice, and the rooms have been pretty decent, except for the noisy AC units..

I stay with HP because they are the only Hyatt property near MCI..

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Oct 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:21 am

I feel quite fortunate when my per diem will cover a Hyatt Place stay. I like them for their consistently acceptable fitness centers, generally more competent staff (compared to, say, Days Inn or Super 8, my usual alternative) and reliable internet connections. I also prefer the kiosk check-in/check-out. Breakfast usually starts too late for me, but when I can go, the fruit bowl is vegetarian-friendly.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
If it's proximate to where I need to be. And - when the rate is really low-ball - for mattress runs. But often in the target-rich northern Virginia area, at some weekends, especially around holidays, it's the same or lower for the FS Hyatts. Then I'd rather stay at the HR Dulles or Fair Lakes, or go into town, drop the car, and stay at the Grand for $75. And I don't think the following has been said: The HPs have gotten boring. But all this is a little rich, I know.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took me a while to realize that in this thread FS="full service [Hyatt]," not Four Seasons. Makes quite a difference in the reading, particularly when I read comparisons between Hyatt Place and FS!

I've stopped staying at HP as the room and the service just don't do it. Generally in the evening, for example, a HP is staffed only by one person who has no clue about the hospitality business. The bathroom arrangement is also very tacky. I find Hilton Garden Inn typically comparable in price and better in quality when I've got to stay at that level hotel, which I do when there is no better option. Courtyard by Marriott also works for me at that level.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:58 am

Number one reason for staying - not staying but checking in just for "faster free nights" (sweet memories of driving up to Hyatt Place in Hoffman Estates for $49 just to go back home to sleep).

Number two reason low rates occasionally aligning with your travel/requal/promo needs.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:13 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I agree with comments that some properties are beginning to show their age and the A/C units are terribly loud. Having said this, Hyatt Place and Aloft are my two 'go to" brands of "discount" hotels. I like the fact they offer free parking, I can get in and out easily and quickly and they have decent coffee. I typically don't eat the breakfast at HP. Most are clean, fairly new and in acceptable locations.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Number one reason for staying - not staying but checking in just for "faster free nights"
Good times...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I too do not like Hyatt Place very much for the reasons already mentioned plus:

• Door slamming from other guests seems to be particularly loud and annoying and is probably partially due to the fact that there is (see next dislike)
• No entry area… room door is right in your living space
• Although already mentioned, must reiterate I have the big loud A/C units

Fortunately for me my MR needs are met by local Summerfield Suites which I rather like.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm the opposite. I love the Hyatt Place. I have chosen a HP over FS several times. Room is spacious, comfortable, clean. People complaining about the AC have not stayed at FS where the bang and booms are louder. The newer HP's are grt!! I had acorner room recently and I loved it. Rain shower and a big bathroom. This was in Jacksonville. Service was grt and always called by my name when walking in everyday!!!

So yes when i get a chance to stay at a new HP over a run down FS with no lounge, i pick the HP. The new HPs also dont have that old AC heater. Temp contol ln the wall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.