Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:30 pm

I'm having a problem with a stay here - not really happy about the way this has been handled.

I stayed two nights. One night was a pre-paid rate, booked on the Hyatt website. Second night was an award night from my Chase HyCard (the annual one, not points-based).

Stay was fine. As echoed above, breakfast was really not as good as I expected it to be.

Anyway, no points for that first night ever posted. No stay or night credit posted for it either.

So, I put in an inquiry online. I just got a copy of my bill, and that's it, despite my note about the problems with elite credit and HGP points.

A week later, I called HGP. They gave me all kinds of attitude about having booked through a third-party site (absolutely not the case) and about having paid a special rate (also, not the case). Granted, the two nights may have been combined somehow into an unusual booking, but I would think this happens often enough that they'd be able to recognize and deal with it.

Finally, on the phone for quite a while, on hold most of the time, I got to a manager. The manager asked me to send her a copy of my credit card statement showing the charge. I sent three screenshots which I'm pretty sure show that I paid and everything, but there is one issue: the charge posted as "SH LI XING JIU DIAN YO” and not as anything with the word Hyatt in it. Maybe that's the way it always comes through, but I'm pretty sure that at all other non-US Hyatts I've stayed at have had the word "Hyatt" in the charge description (just checked and found these from Vietnam, Singapore, and Thailand - all do have the word "Hyatt").

Anyway, I emailed the manager. No response at all. I sent another email saying basically, please confirm you got my first email - maybe the attachments were too big and so it didn't come through. No response again.

Very frustrating.

Bottom line is, I'll still make Diamondist for next year without this stay, but why am I having this issue?

I've read on these forums many, many times about the games Hyatts play - is that what happened here? Did the Andaz Shanghai charge me in some other way to avoid having to pay a commission to Hyatt headquarters or something?

I'm quite frustrated, to say the least.

I have another stay already booked here but if this problem is due to the hotel itself, I don't think I'll want to give them my business again.

Any idea what my issue is, or at least whether it's due to the location or HGP/WoH?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
They charged you in local currency rather than USD. The upside is you didn't pay an extra 5% or more over the exchange rate. The downside is the Hyatt Visa doesn't recognize this as a Hyatt charge and won't give double points. This is why I dropped the card.

Apparently Gold Passport doesn't think it's a Hyatt either?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Simply e-mail GP with your original confirmation for that first night and request stay/night credit... no need to make it more complicated than it is.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cmglobal
They charged you in local currency rather than USD. The upside is you didn't pay an extra 5% or more over the exchange rate. The downside is the Hyatt Visa doesn't recognize this as a Hyatt charge and won't give double points. This is why I dropped the card.

Apparently Gold Passport doesn't think it's a Hyatt either?
I think these are separate issues.

I always ask and expect to be charged in local currency. I was for this stay, as I was in the other Asian locations I listed above. I don't believe that impacts this failure.

And I used a Chase Ink here, which definitely did give me double points for the hotel stay.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Simply e-mail GP with your original confirmation for that first night and request stay/night credit... no need to make it more complicated than it is.
I'll give them a few more days to respond to my two current un-answered emails before I start bombarding them again, but thanks - good idea.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:53 pm

So I emailed HGP back again.

Still nothing.

I had asked the 'manager' I spoke to at HGP if I should email the hotel. She said no, very specifically.

Yesterday, still frustrated from the lack of HGP response, I did email the Andaz Shanghai. I got a response (alone, that's better than HGP) in about 2 hours (now WAY better) and the manager said he would resolve the issue.

Today: fully resolved. Points, nights, and bonus, all posted.

HGP: woefully pathetic - no response at all from them.

Andaz Shanghai: +1, big time. Very impressed.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
So I emailed HGP back again.

Still nothing.

I had asked the 'manager' I spoke to at HGP if I should email the hotel. She said no, very specifically.

Yesterday, still frustrated from the lack of HGP response, I did email the Andaz Shanghai. I got a response (alone, that's better than HGP) in about 2 hours (now WAY better) and the manager said he would resolve the issue.

Today: fully resolved. Points, nights, and bonus, all posted.

HGP: woefully pathetic - no response at all from them.

Andaz Shanghai: +1, big time. Very impressed.
What email address did you use to contact someone at this property?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
What email address did you use to contact someone at this property?
That guy is gone, but I'll PM you the email address of someone else there who has been helpful also.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
That guy is gone, but I'll PM you the email address of someone else there who has been helpful also.
thank you! That would be wonderful
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: HYATT
I also noticed the same charge in my statement. That transaction might be charged by the bar in the lobby of Andaz Shanghai.

Last edited by LongHornRuby; Aug 22, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
It literally translated into Shanghai Lixing Hotel Co.Ltd and possibly is the registered company processing all payments. Transactions of all my stays are under this name as far as I can remember...
Old May 21, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Did a two night stay at this property. One of my favorite properties in the world is the Tokyo Andaz. Last time in Shanghai I stayed at the park hyatt which was nice but the location sucked for tourism purposes. This time I wanted to be closer to the action and the andaz delivered. With Xintandi nearby there are a number of restaurants and bars plus a nice area to walk around. Metro is like 3-5 min walk. They said they upgraded my room but I guess that was to a better view not sure. I really enjoyed the layout of the room. The shower area was excellent and it was interesting being able to change the color of the tub,sink/overhead room light. Free snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. I just really enjoyed the design of the room and the bed was comfortable. Would strongly consider staying here again on my next trip to Shanghai was a nice hotel.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Spent 2 nights at the Andaz after 3 nights at JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square. Upgraded to Andaz Suite with elliptical machine in the corner of the bedroom. Room XX17 faced Xintiandi. Evening Happy Hour was 6:00-7:30 PM, with 1 Red, 1 White wine and Budweiser. What's described as hors d'oeuvres are only nuts, veggies, chips and hummus, essentially bar snacks and not hors d'oeuvres as such.

I commented to Guest Relations Manager on my way out to dinner about the lack of real food and beverages at Happy Hour, so she offered me a glass of wine (I selected from menu) at Bleu Bar. This was a nice gesture.

Fitness Center was under going renovation, but I wasn't planning to workout anyway.

Breakfast is now at Kitchen Studio. Breakfast selection is quite extensive with a lot of Chinese items that I don't normally see in other hotels. I like the breakfast at Andaz more than that at JW Marriott and GH's GC.

Location is great for a stroll around the neighborhood. Xintiandi is much better than Pudong. If I don't need a Lounge, then Andaz is a good choice. If I want a decent Lounge for evening options, then JW Marriott is better. I don't think I would go back to GH because of location.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Spent 2 nights at the Andaz after 3 nights at JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square. Upgraded to Andaz Suite with elliptical machine in the corner of the bedroom. Room XX17 faced Xintiandi. Evening Happy Hour was 6:00-7:30 PM, with 1 Red, 1 White wine and Budweiser. What's described as hors d'oeuvres are only nuts, veggies, chips and hummus, essentially bar snacks and not hors d'oeuvres as such.

I commented to Guest Relations Manager on my way out to dinner about the lack of real food and beverages at Happy Hour, so she offered me a glass of wine (I selected from menu) at Bleu Bar. This was a nice gesture.

Fitness Center was under going renovation, but I wasn't planning to workout anyway.

Breakfast is now at Kitchen Studio. Breakfast selection is quite extensive with a lot of Chinese items that I don't normally see in other hotels. I like the breakfast at Andaz more than that at JW Marriott and GH's GC.

Location is great for a stroll around the neighborhood. Xintiandi is much better than Pudong. If I don't need a Lounge, then Andaz is a good choice. If I want a decent Lounge for evening options, then JW Marriott is better. I don't think I would go back to GH because of location.
Pretty spot on review, far as I'm concerned.

The breakfast here was probably the most extensive of any on SE Asia that I've experienced, but, as you'v pointed out, the price comes with an extremely underwhelming lounge experience. Hadn't realized this before, but the area is far and away the best of any Hyatt properties in Shanghai, in my view. Moreover, I always get a kick out of being corrected to refer to the area as the "former" French Concession. I try to use the PC language, but often times just forget to.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To this day, I remain somewhat in the dark about the boundaries of what used to be the French Concession. In fact, some maps suggest that it extended all the way to the Bund south of Fuxing Rd. Regardless, I don't know many people who would place 新天地 in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.