Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric The Pike (AVIA) Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric The Pike (AVIA) Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Parking tip - 24 hours $8 with aquarium validation

Just had a good stay at this property but wanted to pass along a parking tip that we unfortunately learned too late. The parking is in a garage right across from the hotel, and as other posters have noted, it is $16 per day with no in - out. However, the garage also happens to serve as overflow parking for the nearby aquarium. If you happen to be visiting the aquarium as part of your stay (recommended!) get your parking ticket validated and then the parking is just $8 for 0-24 hours, regular rates thereafter. This is clearly stated on the rate schedule on the paybox, which I unfortunately didn't see until paying. It is also mentioned on one of the aquarium pages (albeit without the 24 hour detail) Aquarium of the Pacific | Visit | Parking (scroll down to "overflow parking")
I filled out comments for the hotel and mentioned that this would be a nice thing to tell guests about when checking in. I received a reply saying they had no idea about this but would look into it.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Finally made my way back here after my last stay seven years ago. I had a Cat 1-4 Brand Explorer cert that was due to expire shortly and decided that the Pike was central enough to the places I needed to visit. As an Explorist, I was very impressed by the customer outreach - about three days before my stay, a guest relations rep reached out to me via email and I was able to confirm a complimentary upgrade to an Executive King Suite. The day of my reservation, I received another email from another rep with their contact information and offering their support.

I arrived very late; around 10 pm. I made the mistake of turning into the Pike Garage right off of Shoreline; had I taken the next light, I would have found free overnight parking in one of the many empty metered spaces on the streets outside of the hotel. My suite was on the seventh floor, next to the suite I had the last time. My view was more of the streets and apartments in the area, but it was very quiet. I had a mediocre breakfast burrito in the restaurant downstairs (but it was cheap enough) to get a few points on my WofH Chase card.

Overall, it was a superb experience and value for a free night award.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I wish I had listened to the other posters as my experience was very similar. We arrived around 10 PM and the valet came out to greet us. He did offer the parking garage option directly in front of the car (if pulled into valet area) which was appreciated. Went to the front desk and no one was there. I could hear them talking in the back and finally called out for someone to assist us after they clearly did not know someone was waiting there. Offered 4 PM late check out and upgrade to suite proactively which was nice.

Upon entering the elevators we noticed a large amount of liquid on the floor. It was also generally dirty and the liquid just made it seem really bad. The room was fine, same suite that has been mentioned before with a small divider with TV that rotates. We were not told about an in room breakfast option for globalists but breakfast was fine downstairs and proactively removed from bill. When we returned around 1 PM, our keys did not work in the elevator. We had to get new keys twice because one would only work for the elevator but not our room.

The final issue was at check out when we were asked about our stay. We described the issues and they offered to comp the valet for our troubles which was fine as our real take away was to never return to this hotel again. When I received the emailed bill an hour later after we left, the valet charge was never removed. They could not even get the service recovery correct which says a lot.

Good news is that I know to never stay here again!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:16 pm

I have a weekend stay in two weeks.Will report back.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:24 pm

Checked in for a two night stay today as a discovervist via credit card only.

Upgraded to a deluxe room. I'd hate to see what a standard room looks like as the deluxe isn't what I'd call spacious.
Room was newly renovated which is great.

Street parking was plentiful.
Desk sucks as mentioned previously.

Last edited by Travelchurner; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:40 am
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Lovely modern property but please fix your parking

This was the last hotel on our trip of the Californian coast and picked it mostly because of the brand. The Hyatt Centric properties we’ve stayed at in the past- Montevideo, Miami Beach and Melbourne- all have proven to be “right down our alley” in terms of design, amenities and even the music they tend to play. Modern and sophisticated but rather minimalistic and a bit of artsy- the kind of place that we as a middle aged gay couple feel at home, alongside most Andaz properties by far our favourites in the Hyatt portfolio.

This Hyatt Centric is a bit different from the other ones we had visited before in that it is an old re-furbished property. It’s mostly done up to Centric standards (besides the awful old escalators which could do not only with a facelift but even more so the occasional floor wipe- gosh were they dirty and this just after Covid!) and we loved the oceanliner and seafarers theming throughout which was very nicely done. We had been proactively upgraded to a “Studio Suite” on the Hyatt app which gave us plenty of room for doing the final packing of all our stuff and had a lovely walk in rain shower in the bathroom. The roof top pool was the absolute highlight of our stay-such amazing views and the bartenders were friendly and accommodating without being too full on trying to make you really drunk up there. The audience was exactly what we had expected- mostly couples and the few families we saw all had very well behaving children which I wish was the case everywhere. No screamers, no obnoxious entitled mums, none of this. And the water was actually refreshingly cool, not overly heated like in so many other properties in the US (obviously a normal thing for Americans, not so normal for everyone else). To top it all of, it was one of the very places we’ve encountered in North America that played decent electronica/chill kinda music rather than all that crappy Hip Hop/ Country Rock stuff that made our ears bleed over the past two weeks. We loved it!

Only- big- downer here was the arrival and departure experience which can really spoil your stay: The property doesn’t have parking of their own which is annoying enough, but we knew about it and directions to the shopping centre parking which is right next door are made very clear on the hotel’s website. $16 a night is the max charge but if you stay longer and simply declare your ticket lost, you end up with a maximum $24 “lost ticket” fee for however long you chose to stay. The issue, and one that would be easy to fix, is the front of property pick up and drop off zone: It’s actually large enough for about 5 vehicles but the hotel staff seems to not give a toss about who parks there and for how long: During busy times, it’s usually parked up by people who shop in the adjacent mall and are too stingy to pay the few dollars for the parking garage. So as result when you arrive as a hotel guest, you have to stop in second row, block everyone else’s way and get beeped at by impatient shoppers who can’t possibly wait a minute until you’ve emptied the suitcases out of your trunk. We had lots and lots of luggage with us on the last day of our vacation, having thoroughly supported the US economy with our shopping! I had to stop in second row (all cars in the drop off area clearly ignoring the signage m, parking there for extended amounts of time) and my partner rushed into the hotel to ask for a luggage trolly and, ideally, someone helping. He was pointed towards the trolleys but help was denied “Sorry, no bellman on shift”. Once everything was done and the car was parked, we noticed three check in agents fiddling their thumbs who could have at least offered a hand. Worst even- one of the three guys doing nothing on our arrival was the one who happily came up and helped with our luggage on departure day so what the eff? Besides that, we also ran into severe trouble trying to find wine glasses- tried first to enquire at reception but were told to try the bar instead only to get told there that they’re not “allowing guests to take glasses up to the room”. This seemed to be an issue very common in hotels here in the US: Not sure whether it’s for safety reasons or the US-typical aversion towards potential lawsuits if someone hurts themselves on a glass splinter, or if really everyone here only drinks Bud Light and hence wine glasses are so exotic (surely that’s just a cliché, no?)? After several failed attempts to obtain proper glasses, we ended up drinking our wine from plastic tumblers in the end which was just wrong.

So all in all happy, as long as they fix the service issues on arrival. It would be so easy- just enforce the front strip of no parking and offer some assistance, especially while it’s not busy and you’re just at the front desk fiddling your thumbs. Other than that- the design, the atmosphere, the comfy bed- we’d come back in a heartbeat when in Long Beach.

One last word of advice for fellow Hyatt loyalists: The free breakfast you get as a Globalist is not worth it here as breakfast is done in a “to go” manner and therefore pales in comparison to other properties with a full buffet or a la carte breakfast. I had read about this in advance and assumed it might have been a Covid-response measure, but it’s still like this, probably always has been. Also, we were told that on weekends breakfast was on until 1pm but when rocking up at 12, we were informed that the kitchen had closed so we could only get pre-packed stuff, grumble. Likewise, if you use Hyatt reward redemption at this hotel, you won’t get your free Valet as the hotel offers none. So you’ll still have to hassle and pay for the shopping garage- I’d strongly suggest you use your points at a different property rather!
ralphs and gadberry like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United Silver, American Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Stayed one night during this past week using a free night certificate. I did not have a car so can't comment on parking. Overall a great stay - upgraded day before to the Studio Suite - ended up in Room 716. Comfy room and great size. Downside is size of table for work area. I had breakfast in the cafe on first floor - pleasant staff. Glob benefit allowed for one entree and beverage - taken off folio with no ask from me. Breakfast came out very fast and was tasty. One issue was the size of the "fitness center." For a hotel of this size having such a small "gym" was sad. Just a few cardio machines and only a few free weights with barely any room to use them.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a quick one night stay back in January and managed to snap a few shots of the hotel. Overall, liked the location for a quick pre-cruise stay, and the breakfast downstairs was pretty good, if a little slow to come out. No upgrades for me on this stay, sadly.

Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:54 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Daily housekeeping returning

As per this article, applies to the HR as well….

https://lbpost.com/news/raises-bring...st-22-an-hour/

Employees at two hotels in Downtown Long Beach are celebrating $4 per hour raises and other benefits that union representatives hope to spread to thousands of other hospitality workers across the region in ongoing contract talks.

The Hyatt Regency and Hyatt Centric agreed to bring minimum pay to between $22 and $25 an hour for non-tipped positions, including housekeepers, cooks, front desk workers, and stewards, Unite Here Local 11 (which represents the workers) announced at a press conference Thursday.

The six-month contract, retroactive to Jan. 1, also gives employees free family health insurance, and guarantees that the hotels will have rooms cleaned daily and will be staffed at pre-pandemic levels.
Love the part, that the contract is valid retroactively and that the rooms will be cleaned daily (retroactively?) so all you guys who stayed there this year, your room will be cleaned
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 59Impala
As per this article, applies to the HR as well….

https://lbpost.com/news/raises-bring...st-22-an-hour/

Love the part, that the contract is valid retroactively and that the rooms will be cleaned daily (retroactively?) so all you guys who stayed there this year, your room will be cleaned
Better late than never? Or ever?

David
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:41 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Can anyone comment on the parking situation and pricing at this hotel? Free for Globalists? The app gives me an error when clicking on "Parking & Transportation"...
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
Can anyone comment on the parking situation and pricing at this hotel? Free for Globalists? The app gives me an error when clicking on "Parking & Transportation"...
Here is the info from the website
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt-centric/...transportation

Parking

Self-parking is available at the Pike Parking Garage located directly across the street from the hotel at Bay and Cedar Avenue. Please note that in/out privileges are not allowed. This parking facility is not operated by Hyatt Centric, so we are unable to apply parking charges to your guest room, but our hotel can validate parking vouchers for a complimentary two hours. **Over the dates of April 17th - April 21st 2024, parking will increase for Grand Prix event to $50 plus taxes and fees**

1.5 HOURS TO 2.5 HOURS$6
2.5 HOURS TO 4 HOURS$9
4 HOURS TO 5 HOURS$12
5 HOURS TO 8 HOURS$15
8 HOURS TO 24 HOURS$16
OVERNIGHT$16
CheckInPeach likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
This property became a Centric around 2011. Has it been refreshed since then? Just don't want to be surprised by an uncomfy bed.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
They have a limited number of free parking passes for globalists. No guarantee
CheckInPeach likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:49 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
I stayed there last week and I can conclude on the recent comments:

- They have a free parking pass but you should go get it BEFORE entering parking. They cannot validate those paper tickets, one must use their pass to enter (and exit)
- Otherwise the price is $16 per day which is also acceptable (compared to other LA properties)
- The room I got looked pretty new, also the bed
- Internet was very fast (up to 100mbps)

In general I loved the area and the hotel, friendly staff, nice room, clean, good view. Also the pool area on the roof was good, not super big though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.