Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 48 Lex REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 9/1/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat

I stayed at 48Lex last night. It was a last minute trip into Manhattan with my teen and her friend, and they must have just opened up some rooms because I booked it on points that day. No other hotels in the area were open. It's a very good deal at 15K points BTW.

Somehow I thought they'd been open for 2 or 3 weeks, but it was only last Monday that they opened. I expected some bumps accordingly, and it was ok. The hosts often had to ask questions, but that was fine with me - was in no rush and I understood the situation.

I liked it. The hotel is small and modern in feel, far more like an Andaz than HR. But the lobby is very small and unassuming - there is room only for the station for 2 hosts - not large like the main Andaz areas. For a business stay it would be great. But my kids (especially the younger one) much prefer large open spaces to explore so it would not be my first choice for a family trip.

The room was on the small side but typical for NY hotels (and much bigger than the W a couple blocks away that I love!). Definitely smaller than either Andaz - perhaps similar to the GH, though I have only stayed in suites there recently so can't recall regular room size. But it was a very nice room. There is a small kitchen area (room descriptions call it a butler's pantry, which is apt) but which was kind of strange in a small room. There is a sink, stocked minibar, microwave, and dishwasher drawer - but no fridge other than for the minibar drinks. Very odd to have a dishwasher rather than fridge! For a business trip it would be nice - I'd use the minibar fridge if I wanted to keep some things refrigerated.

The bathroom was modern, large, and nice. And none of those yukky white ginger products. I can't recall the toiletry brand, but it was good. Then again I am always so happy when I'm in a hotel without white ginger soap that I may not evaluate it fairly.

The staff was very welcoming. They did a good job and had obviously been working very hard.

Breakfast was in the restaurant downstairs, and was very good. Not quite that of the Andaz WS or WeHo, but I really enjoyed it. Service was slow.

Very glad to have another Hyatt property in the city. When I have to stay over, I'd choose this one only if rates are lower than the others. If not then I am a big fan of both Andazes in NY and would choose those instead.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:00 pm

Great first review, thanks Tinpa! How was the bed and street noise or absence thereof?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:22 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

TINPA great first review of the property!!! I do have a couple of questions for you though.

On the official website there is reference to "Treat yourself to amenities like room service and complimentary snacks in the Lexicon Lounge and stay connected with high-speed wired and wireless Internet." - to me it sounds like the Lexicon Lounge is kind of a RC for everyone - was it open already and what do you think of it.

Secondly, the pictures seem to indicate the bath amenities to be Molton Brown - is this possibly true?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
I found the bed to be very comfortable but to be honest that is one thing I'm not so particular about. Hard for me to tell them apart.

Re street noise - I work in NY and never notice street noise even on low floors - but we were on the 18th floor and it was very quiet. There were only 8 or so rooms on our floor, so no hallway noise either.

And Peter, now I'm wondering WTH the Lexicon Lounge is or will be?? When I checked in I asked if there was a RC and the host looked at me as if I were from another planet.

And I looked - the toiletries are Warren Tricomi.

Hope this is helpful!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for your review TINPA. I have a ressie here in October and am a little nervous about what this property has in store for us.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by TINPA
And Peter, now I'm wondering WTH the Lexicon Lounge is or will be?? When I checked in I asked if there was a RC and the host looked at me as if I were from another planet.

And I looked - the toiletries are Warren Tricomi.

Hope this is helpful!
Perhaps the "Lexicon Lounge" is still forthcoming since the property just opened.

I thought that Molton Brown was too much to hope for!!!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just noticed that they are doing a LGBT Honeymoon package - $1399 for the Penthouse Suite and extras:

Our Gay Honeymoon Package Daily Breakfast For 2: in-Room Spa Treatment: Welcome Amenity: Vip Access To Tenjune: - Valid Dates: August 29, 2011-December 30, 2011 - No Refunds For Any Unused Portion of Package. Features: - Daily Continental Breakfast For 2 People - Welcome Gift of Bottle of Champagne, A Box of Champagne Truffles From Jacques Torres, and Flowers in Room and Balcony. - in-Room Side-By-Side Sensual Botanical Body Cream Massage Treatments By Suite Spa. - Vip Access To Tenjune. Nightclub Operated By Emm Group Located in Meatpacking Dist.

Additional Charges:
14.760 Percent tax
3.50 United States Dollars USD occupancy tax

Cancellation Policy:
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes

Deposit Policy:
Deposit Required By September 5, 2011. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 1 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.
This is the same rate as the Suite sells for without the extras.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Lexington Brass

Lexington Brass menu.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/0...ton_brass.html

Dry aged steak for breakfast is enticing.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:43 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Thanks for your review TINPA. I have a ressie here in October and am a little nervous about what this property has in store for us.
You worry too much.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Dear Hyatt GP Concierge- 48Lex=some questions

This property seems to be a new concept for Hyatt. I would love to have a little more information about it and am sure other Hyatt Gold Passport guest would also.
1)Is it a full service property?
2)Will there be a Regency Club?If not is breakfast in the restaurant comped for Diamond guests?
3)What will the Diamond Amenity be?
4)Is this going to be a one off concept or is Hyatt thinking of opening others?

Thank you in advance for your response
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Will prices fall more in line with other NY Hyatt properties and special rates will be made available? Or will it remainmore expensive with cash and least expensive with points as it is now.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
This property seems to be a new concept for Hyatt. I would love to have a little more information about it and am sure other Hyatt Gold Passport guest would also.
2)Will there be a Regency Club?If not is breakfast in the restaurant comped for Diamond guests?

Staying over this weekend and will report back. Curious to see if it is similar to the Seattle at Olive8. HR like rooms, much better restaurant.

Called ahead to 48Lex and they informed me that breakfast included. There seems to be a "den" serving wine, but not formal club.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:26 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello!

This is a full service Hyatt, however, it does not have a Regency Club. Breakfast is offered complimentary in Lexington Brass. Vouchers will be provided at check in. The Diamond Amenity is a choice of a cheese plate with a bottle of wine, or cookies. As far as the concept is concerned, the only information we are provided with, is what you can find on the site: http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/about/news_announcements.jsp or here; http://www.hyattpressroom.com/conten...n/welcome.html.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
Originally Posted by coterie
Staying over this weekend and will report back. Curious to see if it is similar to the Seattle at Olive8. HR like rooms, much better restaurant.

Called ahead to 48Lex and they informed me that breakfast included. There seems to be a "den" serving wine, but not formal club.
I like the look of this hotel (It appeals to me more than the Andaz concept) and I've booked a one night stay here at the end of October.
I look forward to your report!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Wonder if they will offer corp rates at the Lex. The current rates are way too high for me and I am sure many others. May have to wait till Jan or Feb to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.