Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 48 Lex REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 9/1/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt 48 Lex REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 9/1/15

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
FYI, the breakfast was not on my bill, no questions asked or explanations needed. Only the tip was charged.
I thought tip was also included as a Diamond?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Took some .....ing but for a 2 night stay for 1 guest I was able to get them to write one breakfast for 2 off where *someone* ordered sausage instead of bacon. Ended up charged for both, no write off.

Desk tried to tell me that their POS system didn't recognize as a diamond breakfast because of the slight change. Working with POS systems I told the desk agent that isn't how thy work and someone made a mistake.

One thing I hate is having to argue for a specifically spelled out benefit and that's what I had to do here.

Studio 'suite' was comfortable... For 1 guest. bathroom was well appointed and the welcome amenity was a nice wine and cheese spread (but Sutter Home is their 'house red').
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"but Sutter Home is their 'house red')."
That is inexcusable in NYC
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 am

Unpleasant experience

Visit to this property over the weekend. Based on FT comments I adjusted my expectations slightly downward, but optimistic there were improvements since the property has had a couple months to correct prior issues. While the location, bed types, Lexicon lounge were wonderful, service-issues dominated and ultimately impacted our short weekend stay.

1. Lost luggage. (A first for me). Bags they took control of, since it was prior to check-in time, were lost for five hours Saturday evening. They provided updates, even to the extent that they were reviewing hotel security videos. A guest later called to report two bags (ours) in their room did not belong to them. Needless to say, we were largely forced to stay in the guestroom since our warm change of clothes were in the checked bags, along with amenity kit and other goods. Duty manager was apologetic and offered a small gesture for the inconvenience.

2. A comped breakfast (result of #1) the next day. We did not receive any portion of our food for 40 minutes. I checked back twice with the server who apologized, but could only say they were "preparing the beets now" - 30 minutes after ordering the beet salad. During this extended wait, they visited several times to refill drinks - just never showed up with food. Finally I left the table and spoke with F&B manager. He expedited things and comped the entire meal (before he realized it was hotel comped already due to #1). Quite apologetic.

Smaller-scale issues heightened only because of the prior two issues:

3. Coffee. Only one coffee cup in the guest room, with coffee filter for two. Also, no cream or sugar products. We went to Starbucks to obtain. No stirrer in the room, or any silverware for that matter; we used the tongs from the ice bucket to stir our creamer.

5. Staff unfamiliar with property amenities. Called concierge about whether the fitness center had shower facilities or we needed to return to the room to shower. Staff member said she didn't think there were but not 100% sure.

6. The front lobby is poorly designed with traffic to/from the elevator merging with a chaotic small check in area with no apparent order in determining which guests are next in line. There were awkward moments for me and other guests as we each tried jockeying for space in the lobby.

7. Unable to perform express checkout on TV, required us to go downstairs and wait in line again.

It was really unfortunate a) to have such a short weekend in NYC be cut short even further by these major and minor issues and b) That a Hyatt property has such significant service issues.

Underneath all these problems, one could really get a sense this could actually be a pretty enjoyable property (ie: limited # of rooms per floor, Lexicon lounge, terrace rooms).

I have an email into the GM to summarize and discuss all these issues.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Question Earning Points ???

Does stays earn point?

I've stayed three times on this property the last month and none of them are showing up on my account. Now I'm wondering if one do earn points/stays at this property, or they still have glitches? Anyone know?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by heffa
Does stays earn point?

I've stayed three times on this property the last month and none of them are showing up on my account. Now I'm wondering if one do earn points/stays at this property, or they still have glitches? Anyone know?
Assuming that you were on an "eligible" rate (most booked through Hyatt directly as well as some others), property is definitely on the earn points / stays list. Call Customer Service or PM our Gold Passport Concierge to get help.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I thought I'd point out that this property accepts elite level stay certificates. If this property is worth it at 15,000 points, then surely it's an even better deal at $250/night, including tax.

My wife and I are coming back from BKK, and have to overnight somewhere in New York before continuing on to IAD. Since all of the JFK hotels suck and cost a lot, I'm debating hanging out in the city for a couple of nights and taking Amtrak back. At $250/night, it's not an unreasonable option.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite
I am here now on a reward night with my family. I was upgraded to a corner suite as a diamond. Instead of the american breakfast they now give each registered guest a $25 gift card per day. This is great, as they can be combined and used for lunch, dinner, or at the bar(iI was told this at check in). They are also good for a year, if in a hurry you could save the card for a future stay.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by applezz13
I am here now on a reward night with my family. I was upgraded to a corner suite as a diamond.
Corner Suites are great, especially the ones on 4th floor with a huge terrace.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by applezz13
I am here now on a reward night with my family. I was upgraded to a corner suite as a diamond. Instead of the american breakfast they now give each registered guest a $25 gift card per day. This is great, as they can be combined and used for lunch, dinner, or at the bar(iI was told this at check in). They are also good for a year, if in a hurry you could save the card for a future stay.
While it would seem like a good deal it is not. I am sure breakfast for two will be much more than $25. But if you are not a breakfast person it is a good deal.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
While it would seem like a good deal it is not. I am sure breakfast for two will be much more than $25. But if you are not a breakfast person it is a good deal.
op said each registered guest. so that would be $50 if it were two

this seems more reasonable. maybe andaz 5th will do the same rather than it's current arbitrary $75 max. same for andaz wall. in fact hopefully hgp can just get this consistent across the board
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
It was $25 EACH. We had $100 total to spend. Including tip we spent just over $80. I am saving the remaing gift card balance for a future stay here.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
this seems more reasonable.
+1

-David
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

A bad hotel.

Simply put, the Hyatt 48 Lex is a bad hotel. Although it has many positives, there are some fundamental issues with the property that cannot be fixed with simple soft services upgrades (although those are needed as well). Sadly, I read the reviews for this new property with a grain of salt, and choose to give the hotel a chance and settled on it in lieu of the Andaz Wall Street. For those looking for a Hyatt property in Manhattan, look elsewhere. This is a "boutique" hotel for those who believe that boutique only equates to small, and does not require true boutique service and attention. In fact, I have stayed at many Summerfield Suites and Hyatt Places with far better service than this property.

Positives:

-- The location is great for sightseeing. It is centrally located, near many of the tourist areas, and convenient.

-- They have figured out the Diamond breakfast situation, and I for one appreciate the $25/per person per day credit at the Lexington Brass restaurant. I enjoy the flexibility.

-- Some of the staff are wonderful and are really trying their best to help their customers.

-- The corner suite is a nice room for NYC. The room is sizable for a junior suites type of a room, and comfortable.

Negatives:

-- The service is hit and miss at best. Overall the staff appear to be more focused on looking helpful rather than being actually helpful.

-- The housekeeping is atrocious and slow. If you want your room to be cleaned by 6 PM, then you're fine. If you like to walk into a clean room after along day of work/sightseeing, this is not the place for you.

-- There is no lobby. Zero. The lines for check in and check out are very long and slow.

-- The elevators are slow, break, and the lack of usable stairs exacerbates the situation. Ten minute plus waits in the middle of the day were not uncommon.

-- There is no drawer or storage space in the room, even in the suites. No dedicated dresser, no where to put your bags. Zero storage.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by halcyongolf
-- The elevators are slow, break, and the lack of usable stairs exacerbates the situation. Ten minute plus waits in the middle of the day were not uncommon.
what's your definition of usable stairs? fire? I for one used the stairs several times since in NY even a minute feels like 10 waiting. So anybody not incapacitated can use the staircase. I don't think a hotel in US let alone in NYC would be able to open without a usable staircase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.