Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 48 Lex REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 9/1/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt 48 Lex REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 9/1/15

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by coterie
Personally I would choose Andaz5 over 48L if you will be spending time at the hotel and you are upgraded. However if out on the town alot then 48L might suffice. I would like to hear how they honor diamonds with breakfast and how good it is vs Andaz5.
My breakfast here was very good -- while I definitely prefer Andaz WS it was comparable to Andaz 5th. I prefer the restaurant atmosphere in both Andaz over this one, but the food was very good.

On points, I would choose 48Lex again in a heartbeat, no question. And I would not caveat that with "if I were to be away a lot." It is a very nice hotel.

But if price were the same, I'd choose either Andaz without question.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Well, It Isn't the Second Coming of the Stanhope

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
To clarify, Diamond members receive daily full breakfast in the hotel restaurant for up to four registered guests in hotels that do not have Regency/Grand club.
Well, technically correct. You do now get a "full American breakfast", defined in printed material given to you at check-in as being "two eggs, meat, toast, hash browns, and coffee or juice." That is your choice. No general credit amount to be applied to the menu. Which was fine for a short stay, but might be really frustrating if you were there for several days, and say, didn't want to eat the exact same thing all week. All of which makes me wonder where the ownership group hails from, since it isn't the sort of one-size conformist thing that flies well in New York of all places. (Nor do I really think its what Hyatt had in mind in promising breakfast to Diamonds). I would think a hotel would want Diamonds to sample the menu if only to recommend to friends.

There are many good things about the hotel. Helpful staff, new-build location in an iconic older-hotel area, comfortable, not so cool as to be strange decor, and the Official Diamond Breakfast was good if strictly to specification. Late checkout was offered without prompting.

On the other had, the elevators squeaked like the subway and were slow. The uber-cool faucets didn't hold shower temp well and the sink drain was already broken. The comp snack items at the Lexicon Lounge were always late, and the desk staff misstated what was comp and what was not in the lounge.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
lots of potential

Recently had a 4 night stay; overall it was fine, even good, but there are some things I wish they would work out or have thought about:

- Check-in is a bit Andaz style; there is a table near the first floor elevators with 2 computers facing each other. Very informal set-up, no signage, but the staff seem to do a good job of eyeing people who are checking in vs arriving.

- Elevators & Rooms use an RFID key ^

- I like the concept and execution of the Lexicon lounge. The concierges are based there and use your visit to ask if there is anything they can help with besides offering you coffee, tea or water. It's technically self-serve but the staff seemed very pro-active to help you. As pointed out below, they have at least 1 item on offer all day to nosh, but those FT'ers who love their food quantity will be disappointed. I appreciate the simplicity of it, this is a lounge to stop before exploring all NYC has to offer. Wine is by the glass is a bit pricey I think, some up to $21/glass. The lounge ran out of 'to go' cups for coffee and tea several times. I think they need to understand how popular it is or not offer it at all.

- I was in a corner suite that was beautifully decorated in a bit more conservative style and color palette than a W, but brand new, quality finishes. The suite was SMALL however. No real place to open my suitcase in the bedroom. The safe is a top open type located in a desk drawer, easy to use and no more getting on your knees like so many hotels do for safes.

Bathroom was large, the sink molding had lots of room to put your stuff, but there was also a shelf. Shower was good size, nice glass tile and almost rain style showerhead. Warren Tricomi products are dist by Marriatta Corp., which makes various brands for most hotel chains so i'm guessing this isn't the 'real' product Warren has in his salons, just licensed the name. No Aquafresh toothpaste here. (When I asked, I was sent a mini toothbrush and single-use size packet of toothpaste.)

Housekeeping sometimes forgot the bath mat, sometimes forgot wash cloths. Turndown service was nice, but they never rectified what was missing.

There is a sink, mini-dishwasher and nice Reidel style glasses. Nice, but sort of puzzling when the mini fridge is full of mini-bar style items. This is NOT an extended stay type thing, no mugs for coffee/tea (use the lounge) or plates or really facilities for eating. Yet they do sort of advertise these rooms as a bit of a NYC studio.

- Lexington Brass: great bistro style restaurant. You could tell lots of people from the neighborhood were here. Very good quality items, local meats and cheeses, excellent pastries and nice strong Stumptown coffee.

- I was never given nor explained how the Diamond Breakfast worked so I just ordered what I wanted the first day, then ate with other Diamonds the other days I had breakfast. One day the server said Diamonds get a $13 credit or the American breakfast. Upon checkout they tried charging me for the breakfast I had the first day and I explained they never mentioned how it worked. The check-out person mentioned it was a fixed breakfast or $26 credit (I assume she meant $13 x 2?). Either way, it's not ideal and I don't think the $13 credit pp is sufficient for those wanting to tray all the great items they have on the menu + juice + coffee and no mention about tax or tip.

- I was never offered a Diamond Amenity, agent at checkout apologized and gave me the points.

Location turned out to be excellent: 3 blocks South to Grand Central or 4 blocks north to the E/F subway at the Citicorp bldg. Easy walk to Fifth Ave shops near Rockefeller and Times Square.

I'll give it another try. I see lots of potential, and hope they can learn not to be so cheap on the breakfast.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt globalist, Hilton diamond
Dissapointing Stay

Stayed last Friday for one night booked a Terrace Studio room. Hotel did not seem too full. Check in went smoothly and everything was explained nicely including the Lexicon Lounge. Was booked under the AAA Breakfast rate, was explained both the diamond vs the AAA breakfast rate. Diamond breakfast was offered as the two eggs, meat, toast etc. Which apparently is the same as the AAA breakfast rate. However I was told the AAA breakfast rate included Tip which the concierge explained that the Diamond breakfast did NOT include tip. So I was advised to eat breakfast using the AAA Breakfast rate. I did not argue as I was there for conference and I was not going to be eating breakfast either way at the hotel. Was offered late checkout without prompt which I gladly took advantage of. Location of the hotel was great and convenient I was there for a conference which was located a few blocks away and I was able to walk everywhere easily.

The room I was given was the Handicapped room for some reason; room was small and the balcony small, looking at the floor map I received possibly the smallest Terrace Studio available (more on this later). Bathroom had no glass divider (Most likely due to handicapped room) and the water seemed to go everywhere. Rest of the bedroom was clean and fairly modern, no complaint other then the small size. Lexicon Lounge was nice; coffee machine worked well and cheese and crackers were available. Staff was very helpful and pleasant.

Internet I cannot comment as I was unable to log onto it as it rejected my name and room number multiple times; I was not in the room often and did not press the issue. TV turned on multiple times over the night for some unknown reason to their welcome screen which was quite annoying as I was trying to sleep.

Upon returning from the conference the next day in the early afternoon my key card would not work to enter my room. Had to return to the front desk explained the situation; gave them my name and room number. Gave me a puzzled look; explained the key did not work as I had late checkout and had to have it reprogrammed. Re-attempted entry into my room again did not work. Went back to front desk again. This time apparently I was told they had given me the wrong room the day before and I was suppose to be given the room next door (Which appeared to be occupied by someone else).

I was not impressed with this fact as I was unsure if someone else was given key to my room and could have had access to it when I was not there and I did have valuables in the room. I did look at the floor map and the room I was suppose to get did look bigger with a better balcony set up so perhaps that is why my room was not very impressive. Staff was nice enough about the situation. I should have realized there was an issue when I could not log onto the internet.

Overall the stay was mixed. Was disappointed with room and mix up. The staff was friendly and helpful the entire time. Although I am not sure where the mix-up and confusion occurred. The Lexicon Lounge was a nice place to relax and quite quiet when I was there.

Given the price point difference between a standard room and Terrace Studio, I do not think the price point justifies it as the rooms are smaller. I rather have been on a regular room/floor that was larger then the smallest Terrace Studio. Management never followed up with the issues that I had although it was only been 4 days since my stay.

If given a choice again I would stay at stay at the Andaz if I was planning on spending much time in the hotel itself. The Lex 48 is adequate for shorter stays when location is important. I do have one more stay booked at the Lex 48 in several months I hope there will be some improvement and will post if there are any changes for my next stay.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:52 pm

Echo the other comments. The dishwasher is a great way to sterilize your travel toothbrush.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I stayed the same weekend as Kindel.

I liked the hotel - to be fair I was on point, and they gave me 1701. It is quiet - although with only 6 rooms per floor it seems, I suspect most rooms don't really have a noise problem.

The Diamond breakfast is annoying after three days - I agree that I wish they would give you a fixed amount. Each day I gave the same tip - on my account I was charged the full tip for one day, but $3 less on the other two.

The bed is comfortable and the shower worked OK, although I had to let it run to get a consistent temperature.

The whole sink/dish washer/mini bar arrangement is odd and I am unsure its purpose. The lift got stuck on Sunday morning, but was fixed after 2 hours. The 2nd floor lounge ran out of to-go cups on Sunday morning.

I preferred it to the Grand Hyatt, although it is a little walk to the Subway. However, the short walk to the E train and then 45 minutes to JFK was a win.

I thought the staff helpful and friendly and was glad of the load of an umbrella for the snow storm on Saturday.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
The diamond breakfast is truly disappointing, definitely make you feel like they're just giving it to you only to follow GP rules and give you something that falls into the "full breakfast" category, or, better yet, make you pay the difference - not much of a choice for us, since who'd want to eat the same two eggs with beacon every day?
$13 credit? cmon guys, the room rates are on par with Andaz, staying here now - rate is $500+ - lousy cheap breakfast is more of an assault thean benefit. Food is good though.
On a positive note, I really like the room, booked terrace studio, asked for a corner suite at check in, it took a girl quite some time to figure it out with manager, but she was very eager to help. after 15+ minutes got the corner suite, which, being a new yorker myself, I feel myself very comfortable in. Yes, it's small, and that's what makes it feel like home, nice, warm, comfortable space to be in. huge suites make me feel like in a museum. I guess it's a new york thing.
Looks like I've been given the room that was pre-blocked for someone else who didnt show, since when I checked in (9pm) there was a card on the bed addressed to other guest wishing a nice stay.
Overall, I like the hotel. Andaz would be my first choice, considering the breakfast offering if far more superior, but, at 15000 GP points rate, Hyatt 48 lex would be my first choice if I was trying to stay in NY on cheap award rate, at 15K, it's out of competition.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by IndyJeffrey
Staying here in November on GP points.

At 15,000 seems like it might be a better deal than the Grand or Andaz at higher points though the small gym concerns me.

Thoughts?
+1. How can you compare a hotel (Andaz/GH) that goes for 22K points with one that goes for 15K points (48 Lex)? You would expect the former to be better - it'd better be better!
Also, 48 Lex is Cat 4 - thus available as a free annual redemption with Hyatt card - Andaz is not.
What am I missing here?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:31 am

Just had a great stay and was truly impressed with the staff - they are friendly, but professional and eager to accommodate. Hotel reminded a boutique hotel without the attitude. Decor was modern and comfortable at the same time. Other positives include

- Lexington lounge on the 2nd floor, with complimentary Mighty Leaf tea, coffee/water and nice furniture to lounge around plus a PC station.
- brasserie coffee was of great quality and taste
- TVs have high-def programming and are easy to navigate, plus guest compendium has a nicely printed channel guide
- all glass facade lets a lot of sunlight into the rooms, at the same time there was no street noise
- staff attitude has been great

Negatives:
- small building footprint means that the only two elevators are also used by staff, and sometimes there is a wait. The elevators do not indicate if they are going up or down and a lot of guests end up going to the cellar and need to re-swipe their cards for their floors to go up.
- location is good for west side and midtown
- wi-fi was not working in one room, but was ok in another.
- overall the rates seem to be high
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
+1. How can you compare a hotel (Andaz/GH) that goes for 22K points with one that goes for 15K points (48 Lex)? You would expect the former to be better - it'd better be better!
Also, 48 Lex is Cat 4 - thus available as a free annual redemption with Hyatt card - Andaz is not.
What am I missing here?
However, if you check the rates, 48Lex and Andaz5 are not too far off. I have actually seen dates where the Andaz was lower. Does not make sense, but maybe people are trying out the newer hotel? Hopefully the rates will come down to the 22k/15k ratio.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by coterie
However, if you check the rates, 48Lex and Andaz5 are not too far off. I have actually seen dates where the Andaz was lower. Does not make sense, but maybe people are trying out the newer hotel? Hopefully the rates will come down to the 22k/15k ratio.
For my dates, 48Lex is substantially higher than Andaz ($619 vs $445) - not necessarily better, just more expensive. That makes the redemption for only 15K (vs 22K) or a free annual award (cat 1-4) that much better deal
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Never having stayed there - I am not sure why their rates are higher than the Andaz. I rearly see it under $400 - usually much higher.

From reading this thread, I would much rather stay at the Andaz which I will be doing this week. Great breakfast is what I like most
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Sitting in my room as I finish a one-night stay on points. The location was perfect for an East-side event I attended last night and it was a reasonable use of points.

- The front staff seemed more experienced/professional than at the Andaz 5th. Check-in was quick and smooth.
- Service elevators would be nice as there are staff constantly going up and down on the guest elevators.
- Room is fine, reasonable size for NY. Andaz feel to it, but without the Andaz quirkiness
- Nice-sized shower. My bathroom sink drains VERY slowly. If I were staying longer, I'd have engineering look into it or change rooms.
- Nice selection of half-bottles of wine in the room, although I did not have the opportunity to try any.
- As stated, odd "kitchen set-up" with a dishwasher.
- Walls/door offer little sound insulation. Kids in the room next door had me awake very early. Parents should reallly teach kids how to behave in hotels.
- Just had brunch in the restaurant. I do not eat eggs, so I had a bagel, meat and coffee. We'll see if that gets comped when I check out.
- I like the look and feel of the restaurant. Will need to try it in the evening the next time I stay.
- Connecting to wifi was a breeze.

Overall, I like the 48Lex. Depending on where I need to be in Manhattan, I would stay here again. Next time, I'll remember to pack ear plugs.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Breakfast

If you do not want to eat the cookie cutter 2 eggs, meat, and toast brekfast; I would ask for something that would better meet your needs either at the front desk or the restaurant. You may for instance want to ask for a sufficient dollars off amount rather than the standard offered breakfast.

Just tell them you are Diamond, and that ... ... ... will better meet your needs than whatever they are offering, and that you prefer that they do ... ... ... rather than what they are proposing to do or what is written in any sort of boiler plate printed material.

The printed material is merely a guideline.

The agents and the manager have the authority to customize your stay as needed.

I would not ask for something else just to be a jerk, but I imagine they have other offerings on the menu for brekfast, and I don't see why one would have to be limited to that specific set of options thats printed.

For example, if I checked in to a Hyatt, and I did not like any of the Diamond amenity choices, I might ask for a food & beverage credit. This would not be common, but if they really didn't have anything I liked, I would not hesitate to ask for a reasonable alternative.

If you buy me a beer I'll play desk agent, and we can try this. I know a lot of people sort of feel uncomfortable challenging printed rules, policies, and procedures. Its just a skill set you have to develop, and once you do it a few times, you'll be an old pro. But its something I have the sense a lot of people are uncomfortable with.

Its also rediculous re the post peple having to stand around for 20 minutes while they figure out a $25 breakfast credit, especially for someone who gives as much to Hyatt as to earn the Diamond status.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
- Just had brunch in the restaurant. I do not eat eggs, so I had a bagel, meat and coffee. We'll see if that gets comped when I check out.
FYI, the breakfast was not on my bill, no questions asked or explanations needed. Only the tip was charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.