Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005
All 4 AVIA's show up in basic search now and seem to be bookable now except it doesn't look like award or AAA rate nights have been loaded yet.

Interesting that they kept the AVIA name for all four of them; I wonder if this will be a temporary or permanent new sub-brand for Hyatt? The fact that the Hotel Sierra's also show up as a separate sub-brand on Hyatt.com makes me think this is just a temporary step to get them on board as quickly as possible, and that eventually they may still switch to a different existing Hyatt brand.

Update: Award availability is now showing up for AVIA Long Beach now - showing up as a cat 3 (12,000 pts). I doubt Napa will be that low!
Great, all Avia's and Sierra's are up now.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold
Anyone know which category hotel this will be?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:35 pm

Apparently, the AVIA Napa, which can be booked now on line, has a minimum stay requirement for many weekends, especially in high season. You can always call the hotel directly to book. Hoping that they have all the Diamond amenities, especially breakfast, since they have no RC. My hubby and I will be going 9/30, so look for my review post-stay. We are so looking forward to a splendid Hyatt experience in Napa!!!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: WN CP & A+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by coterie
PH in the bay area would be nice.
Le Meridien in SF used to be Park Hyatt ... but hope the brand comes back soon!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bbr55
Le Meridien in SF used to be Park Hyatt ... but hope the brand comes back soon!
I doubt it will happen anytime soon - rates in SF don't support a PH level property.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Every time I try to book a room, the website returns "hotel not available" - has anyone actually been able to book here?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Every time I try to book a room, the website returns "hotel not available" - has anyone actually been able to book here?
It appears there is no weekend availability...at all....any weekend I checked...

Check weekdays, it does function, but if this is really sold out for the next 52 weekends, whomever set the rates should be fired...

Any other explanations? Anyone see availability?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Amarante
It appears there is no weekend availability...at all....any weekend I checked...

Check weekdays, it does function, but if this is really sold out for the next 52 weekends, whomever set the rates should be fired...

Are you trying to book only one night? There is some availability for 2 nights in October on the weekends. There may be a minimum stay requirement.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
Are you trying to book only one night? There is some availability for 2 nights in October on the weekends. There may be a minimum stay requirement.
That is my issue. And I knew that it required a 2 night for a Saturday stay, or I at least had figure that out at an earlier time.

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Amarante

I see now that it's available on weekdays most of the time - previously I had checked the Thursday prior to the weekend I was looking at and could not book that night either, so I thought it was a widespread booking issue.

The minimum stay restrictions are just weird for the property. I actually found a weekend on which a Friday arrival only requires a typical weekend stay (although only suites and no standard rooms are available), but a Thursday arrival requires a 5-night min!

I was looking forward to trying out this property, but they're sure making it as difficult as possible.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by paulj2k
Anyone know which category hotel this will be?
It's a Category 5.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
The minimum stay restrictions are just weird for the property. I actually found a weekend on which a Friday arrival only requires a typical weekend stay (although only suites and no standard rooms are available), but a Thursday arrival requires a 5-night min!
That's odd.

I just booked a single night there. NOR Upgrades seem very reasonably priced, wish we had some history to see how they are going to treat Diamonds.

Suites aren't very large, and there are 91 "Suites" compared to 50 "Standard" Rooms. Might make this place great for free night availability and possibly diamond comp upgrades at check-in.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:59 pm

Diamond Review

We were very excited to stay at the newly branded Hyatt Avia in Napa. Based on the pictures on the Hyatt and former Avia web sites, along with numerous Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews, we thought we were making a great choice of accommodation in Napa. My husband is a Hyatt Diamond Passport so our expectations are always high.

I had called the hotel manager about a week before the conversion to Hyatt (September 1st was their "live" date) asking if we could book using our Diamond suite upgrade awards for two nights and pay for the rest. She was very accommodating in obtaining a suite for us during high season.

Diamond Alert: Breakfast was included, the Diamond amenity was bonus points or a chef's snack. They couldn't tell us what that might be. No wine. Everyone gets free wi-fi, free parking in the lot behind the hotel. Valet is $15 per night.

Check in was smooth although the front desk is not quite Hyatt-savvy. The front desk agent was very kind, but really neglected to give us the dog and pony show to which we have become accustomed, especially when it is our first stay at a particular property. Although the manager was helpful with making the reservation, I really believed that as Diamond Passport, they would have pulled out all the stops for us. Not! Not even a welcome letter in our suite! The front desk agent said we have already blocked you a great room! Ha! We were given the lowest level of suite (a lux suite) with a view of the parking lot behind the property! It was also right next to the elevators! It would have been an insult to any Hyatt Diamond. It is important to note that this property is not a view property and a "premium" view would be overlooking First Street in downtown Napa, and maybe, it might have a balcony . . . Ours didn't.

Fortunately for us, we didn't need a view or a balcony, but for those who want to have accommodations that overlook the vineyards, gardens or even a pool or water feature, this is not the place for you! On the positive side, the property has a lovely patio area with fire pits where you can order your wine or BYOB and enjoy the crisp air in the evenings and relax after a long day of wine tasting. The hotel also offers some wine tasting events in the evening, a plus if you want even more wine.

Service was good, but not great. The concierge was definitely on her game when she was able to get us a much-coveted appointment at Pride Vineyards! I would definitely rely on their concierges for any and all information you might need. There was otherwise very little in personal attention for this boutique hotel.

Our suite was nothing about which I could rave. The bathroom does have a quasi walk-in shower with a rain shower head, but unless you tilt it towards the wall, all the water overflows onto the bathroom floor. You don't even realize it until you step out into a huge puddle! In our bathroom, the toilet faced the windows, so if the drapes were open and you forgot to close the sliding bathroom door, the entire parking lot can see you squat! In addition, the web site shows a lux suite with double sinks, but in ours, there was only one!

Breakfast service is very slow. We waited ten minutes for our server to offer us coffee. The weekend buffet is, however, lovely with lots of options including yummy hot items and an egg and omelet station. The applewood smoked bacon and chicken apple sausage are delish!

The location is perfect for exploring downtown Napa which has had a massive revitalization since our last visit over six years ago. You can walk to great markets, eclectic shops, wine tasting stores and fabulous four-star restaurants. I think that is the Hyatt Avia's strongest selling point since it definitely does NOT have any of the following amenities that one associates with the typical wine country experience.

Nothing near the quaintness and personality of a bed and breakfast or small inn.
No luxurious grounds to meander.
No spa, although they do have privileges with the fitness center next door.
No pool.
No hot tub.

For $400 per night (that is what we paid for a SUNDAY night stay), I think you can get a lot more bang for your buck in Napa Valley. We were so enamored by the fact that Hyatt finally had a property in the Napa Valley (they have a Hyatt in Santa Rosa which is too far from the main attractions) that I forgot to do my homework!

When we returned home, I looked up some of the rates and amenities of comparable properties, like the Westin Napa, and found the rates very similar for the last weekend in October, and the Westin has its own fitness facility, outdoor pool and spa.

Are we too spoiled? I think not, given that we stay pretty much exclusively at Hyatt unless there isn't a convenient location. We have expect a certain level of bend over backward-ness as Hyatt Diamond guests.

In conclusion, I would by no means discount the Hyatt Avia as a contender when deciding on a property in the Napa area of the Wine Country, but I would seriously consider what amenities are offered before I plunked down my credit card guarantee!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you for this review, msblueyz. The thing that got me most is that you used a suite upgrade, but still had to pay $400. I know it's peak season in wine country, but wow. Another couple of thoughts:

I've been stuck in a room that overlooks the parking lot, and gone right back and asked for a different room (Grand Champions). In such cases, I've wondered if a computer assigns the room, and sometimes a human doesn't double-check on how their Diamonds are being treated. I haven't been so lucky when I arrive late, though -- not for the first night, anyway.

The other big thing that strikes me is that this is still very early in the conversion. I anticipate that with Hyatt picking up the two chains and a smattering of other previously-branded hotels, we're going to be seeing a lot of reviews that sound a lot like this. In my own experience, I stayed very early at the "new" Hyatt Santa Barbara. It was far from a Hyatt, but I was there mainly to see what they have to work with.

And another thought now occurs: Interesting thing re expectations. While I haven't just looked at the Yelp reviews, msblueyz indicated at the top that they must have been really good. So, and this is looking much wider than this review, as another brand, a hotel can get top ratings, but then as a Hyatt, not so much. (Acknowledging that here many of the issues were over Diamond recognition.)
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:06 pm

But I'm a Diamond Guest

The recent "Diamond Review" reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqm4H3m3Ew

If your husband is a "Hyatt Diamond Passport" he should be smart enough to assess other properties at that price point that might better suit your expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.