Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Possibilities(2) - 5k Bonus for 3 nights (30k Max) - 9/15-11/15/2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibilities(2) - 5k Bonus for 3 nights (30k Max) - 9/15-11/15/2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Absolutely. With all the networks offering poor promos, my Q4 is going to be dictated by price and price alone
Hilton hasn't announced their 4th quarter promo yet. I have a feeling that it will be a good one.......

Over the years I have learned just to move my stays to a chain that offers me the most incentives. to stay there.

Until February this year it was Hyatt even when there was no FFN due to the generous G-bonuses, stackable 2500 UA for MP elites, Diamond amenity bonus + basic points. After February this year I have had less than 10 Hyatt stays.

IMHO there is no reason to patronize any one chain unless they are offering a compelling promo. For most part HH DIA, Marriott PLT, IC RA, Hyatt Diamond, and SPG PLT are interchangeable.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt-Diamond, PC-Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Not motivating me to move any stays to Hyatt. Boring.
Just as you and many others have stated...I AGREE. BLAH to this "bonus"! I have had difficulties acheiving points with all Hyatt programs this year due to lack of Hyatt placement near the locations I am woking. I have always worked hard at maintaing my loyality to Hyatt, mostly due to the exceptional customer service and the points value for hotel stays but this maxed out 30K end of year event is a huge turn off.

I missed out on the 5/10 due to lack of Hyatt within 1hr of my location and now, I ONLY have the month of September to finish off Diamond and collect points but it looks like half of Sept will be a Hyatt Place waste....

This year I even went as far as to drive 45min one way 6 days a week for 4 weeks to stay at the Tampa Grand Hyatt so I could collect nights towards Diamond and the 2500 bonus weekly for the club being closed....thats an obsurd commitment on my end and this is just a huge let down.

With lack of Hyatts I have been riding the IHG wave and in my opinion, they have the best points program and hotel availability anywhere in the world I have yet to encounter. Potential to earn 120-140K IHG or 40-60K Hyatt by November....easy choice.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Antonius, I think you're a little off when you assume that we'd still give them the 21 stays for the rest of the year. I would easily have done 6 one-night leisure stays for 3 FFN, as I would have redeemed them in Phoenix during spring training. They probably wouldn't have been mattress runs, either - I would have used the Buy Two Get One nature of the promo to take some weekend trips. Instead, I simply either won't go to spring training, or I'll only go if I can get a resort for a rate lower than I would have spent on the FFN.

And then, since those 6 stays would have put me at 19 for the year, I would have picked HP over Hampton for 2 or 3 more work stays where prices were similar, and I would have stayed at the Hyatt La Jolla in December instead of just picking up whatever I find on Priceline. So then I'd be two stays away from Diamond, and for an extra 500 to 1000 points per stay next year, I'd have swallowed hard and spent the extra $175 for the final two stays via a mattress run.

Instead, I may still give Hyatt a work stay or two if it's convenient for work, but none of my discretionary leisure business. I'll use Priceline for my leisure business between now and December, and use the money I save towards my March spring training stay. And since I won't be Diamond, and I doubt that I will qualify for Diamond in 2012, I'll only stay at Hyatt properties when there are other compelling factors such as location or a client-specific rate.

The folks at Priority Club get this point. They've thrown 100,000 points at me in the last year through various promos to get me to try their properties, and I've been pleasantly surprised. Most of my PC business has come at the expense of Hilton stays.

And I know that, corporate boasting aside, occupancy rates aren't that great - because I have had several weekday Priceline stays this year at full-service, big city Hyatts for 35-40% of the AAA rate. So it's not like they are bursting at the seams and have to give up marginally profitable customers like me.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt-Diamond, PC-Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Y'all are just mad because now you'll have to shell out 14 grand for your 2 weeks in the Maldives...
Not me! I'm going to roll IHG after this news. They have a Holiday Inn resort there and only want 15K a night!!!! The fall bonus they are running will get someone 8-10 free nights between bonus points and regular stay points.

It might not have Turkish marble tile in the lobby or a gold plated toiled seat but I'll still be there for free!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well, I think it is funny that every year for the last 10 years there has been 1 to 2 FFN promos EVERY SINGLE year EXCEPT this year.
I think folks are really underestimating the impact of the Hyatt Visa and its two free night sign-up bonus. I would not be at all surprised if Hyatt has actually given out more free nights this year than any previous year in which they ran a FFN promo. And if it is even close, I don't see how anyone could expect Hyatt to run a FFN promo in addition to what they've given out with the credit card. So many FTer's were clamoring for that plastic; well, be careful what you wish for.

If there is a bright spot here, it would my guess that the first year of the card would have the biggest impact, as I would expect most interested Hyatt loyalists probably signed up right away. As the bulk of those free nights are being used, there might be more room in the future to give free nights via promos, but I wouldn't expect that to happen much earlier than this time next year.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:30 pm

If the horse hasn't moved in a year, it's time to take the saddle off.

For those of you who have trouble dealing with reality, let me put it plainly--IT'S OVER.

It's sad how in the space of a year Hyatt promos have gone from first to worst, but it's time to deal with it. I say thanks for the memories--free nights in Mainz and Berlin, the Big Apple, Newport, Honolulu and Kauai on the last FFN and BWB.

Diamond has been great too, but it's time to move on. And there seems to be little reason to keep the credit card either.

Agree with the earlier comment about PC; Crack the Case netted me about 150K, and the bonuses keep coming.

Au revoir.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by el_tigre
I think folks are really underestimating the impact of the Hyatt Visa and its two free night sign-up bonus. I would not be at all surprised if Hyatt has actually given out more free nights this year than any previous year in which they ran a FFN promo. ...be careful what you wish for.
I agree. I can't understand why Hyatt moved their focus from stays (and promos) to the Chase card, because I can't see more value in it for Hyatt than loyal top-tier elite members (who stay more often due to promos). Apparently I'm wrong, though... It sure seems that the hotel chains are transitioning their FF programs the same way airlines did in the past decade. They apparently make more $ from the credit cards & partners than in their hotels. I understand the mentality for other chains (& airlines) doing this, but since many Hyatt hotels are corporate-owned, I would think they see the benefit of maintaining a large number of top-tier members. After all, it's not just the points from the room, we also spend at the hotel restaurant/room service & in-room entertainment--all of which are very high margin.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
You are right. This "Promo" is just a systemwide G2 which means that we have G2 back instead of "fall promotion."

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The sad thing is that I really have grown to like Hyatt Place over Hampton Inn. So I stay at them for work when the rate differential is reasonable.

I generally can't justify Hyatt Place, however, for personal travel over just bidding much less on 3.5* on Priceline without some kind of bonus promo that makes it worth my effort move closer to Diamond. The Southwest promo this summer was one of those - $319 in WN credits (which I've already spent) for 5 one-night stays. Sure, why not...

But this 5k/3 night promo? That's basically just a systemwide G2.

So... I just cancelled my Sunday night Hyatt Place leisure stay for $89+tax after getting a winning PL bid for a 3.5* Sheraton for $48+fee+tax. All in, I save $40 after taxes, to stay at a nicer property.

Loyalty has to be a two-way street.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Delta Plat, UA 1K, Avis Presidents
Wow how disappointing. I can't believe I might not get diamond this year. How did Hyatt go from best promos to worst promos?

Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:52 pm

Since this lackluster promo coincides with the anniversary of Hyatt card for the charter card members perhaps we should consider cancelling the card. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I am seriously considering abandoning Hyatt and go for Marriott/Starwood instead.

We only travel for leisure. We can do about 30 stays a year, not counting the luxury hotels like 4S, MO, Pen etc. We only stay at PH, but would stay at GH or HR if we need to get the 25 stays to maintain Diamond. With Amex Centurion, when we stay at PH as a non-Diamond, all I lose out would be free internet. We still get upgrades and breakfast, plus amenities. So not a big deal being a Diamond.

Now, if Hyatt is going downhill, I would take our business elsewhere. SPG has a lot more properties so it would be a lot easier to requalify each year. I would still stay at a PH but only if I don't need to stay at an SPG to requal Platinum there. At least there is an SPG credit card in Canada to boost the point balance if there is a need.

Hyatt has been going downhill since the launch of their credit card. They are favoring frequent shoppers over frequent guests. They treat people who use their Hyatt cards to stay at Hilton better than people who stay at Hyatt.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:09 pm

I haven't consider this in the previous years while now I will also consider this as you.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Was nice enjoying Diamond status over all these years.
Won't be qualifying though based on this poor attempt at a promotion.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:11 pm

Thumbs down

Same feeling here, could not believe that Hyatt has worse promo than SPG! I thought they would at least match it in the Q4.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1

Not to rain on the parade, but this doesn't hold a candle to the FFN promos. Nor will it incentivize me to book Hyatt for 1 night stays (well at least not more than the 1 night I might need to top off the bonus). I certainly won't turn down bonus points, but they aren't as useful as free nights, particularly for those of us who don't have nearly enough points to stay at the high cost city properties, much less resorts.

For example of a great promo, see SPG's recent "stay 3, stay free at a resort" promo.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have another 10 nights booked for the rest of the year, which will get me within a few of the 50 nights I need to renew Diamond. I had thought I would easily get that with a FFN coming out, or other good promo. Now, I'll have to look and see if it's worth investing even a minimal amount to retain Diamond if this is all I'm going to get.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jambajuice
Same feeling here, could not believe that Hyatt has worse promo than SPG! I thought they would at least match it in the Q4.
Starwood's upcoming promo will be double or triple points, depending on the night of the week; so you think this is worse? I suppose if you typically stay at a Park Hyatt or St. Regis where rates are $300+, SPG is clearly richer, but if you usually slum it in the sub $100 Hyatt Place or Four Points, this promo is better. Anything in between is close to being a wash, to varying degrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.