Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

If no FFNs who will not requalify?

Old Aug 12, 11, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

a couple of friends have been Diamond for the past x amount of yrs, they do all their stays more or less when the FFNs are running. This year most have 0 stays and 1 person has 3

They all told me w/o FFN they wont be staying, so that got me thinking maybe Hyatt is looking to pare its Elites and to keep those that really stay and spend $$ as Diamonds while letting the Ma & Pa Kettles drop off, as most likely they stay twice at very ElCheapo rates and then look to stay for free at a Park Hyatt or any Hyatt that costs $$$$$
Old Aug 12, 11, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by craz View Post
... so that got me thinking maybe Hyatt is looking to pare its Elites and to keep those that really stay and spend $$ as Diamonds while letting the Ma & Pa Kettles drop off, as most likely they stay twice at very ElCheapo rates and then look to stay for free at a Park Hyatt or any Hyatt that costs $$$$$
I hope not but in light of United's rumored "enhancements" to their 2012 elite program, it's definitely plausible. If they do eliminate FFN, I think they will see first hand the law of unintended consequences as FFN is a BIG incentive for not just the Kettles, but the high revenue customers as well. Couple that with the fact that the high revenue customers are often elites in other programs as well and will simply book elsewhere for their best return. We are loyal, but not to a fault, and definitely not for the White Ginger.
Old Aug 12, 11, 9:38 am

we'll know about FFN within a month or two right? not like there are any fantastic deals going on in the other programs...
Old Aug 12, 11, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fstop75 View Post
I hope not but in light of United's rumored "enhancements" to their 2012 elite program, it's definitely plausible. If they do eliminate FFN, I think they will see first hand the law of unintended consequences as FFN is a BIG incentive for not just the Kettles, but the high revenue customers as well. Couple that with the fact that the high revenue customers are often elites in other programs as well and will simply book elsewhere for their best return. We are loyal, but not to a fault, and definitely not for the White Ginger.
Im not a Haytt member, but have been with *W for yrs and if they didnt have their 3-4-1 promo for their last Q, I would have still stayed (not as many stays as I did) since I wouldnt want to lose my Plat status. So x % will stay and earn Diamond no matter what since like me they dont want to lose their status.

I find most who are only doing it for the freebes would hit the road if its not offered. I think x amount also wouldnt have requalified with SPG if they didnt have the promo, and I know some who are simply waiting for the stay 1 get 2 stay credit to come around again, so that all they need is 13 stays instead of 25 for Plat. They want Plat for when they cash in their pts mainly earned not from Stays but from using the Amex CC
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:00 am

I will just make 25 stays before Feb 28 2012 and get two years diamond if we don't see Ffn promo this year. Then I will have two years to work other programs without having to worry about making any hyatt stays.
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:36 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bbbb View Post
I will just make 25 stays before Feb 28 2012 and get two years diamond if we don't see Ffn promo this year. Then I will have two years to work other programs without having to worry about making any hyatt stays.
Elite re-qualification period runs Jan. 1 - Dec 31, i.e. you need 25 stays before the end of 2011, not the end of Feb., which is the status expiration date.
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:36 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
I thought the last promo was good in terms of earning big points. Sure it is not FFN but I feel mattress runs are starting to not be as lucrative (for all the major hotels) as the used to be.
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:55 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
i don't believe I will requalify for Diamond for 2012
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
I really hope Hyatt can rid those people who won't make diamond without FFN or double stay credit. There are too many diamonds anyway as a result of past over-generous promotions. Hyatt should separate out those who are loyal to the brand from those who are just looking for a cheap deal.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by craz View Post
so that got me thinking maybe Hyatt is looking to pare its Elites and to keep those that really stay and spend $$ as Diamonds while letting the Ma & Pa Kettles drop off, as most likely they stay twice at very ElCheapo rates and then look to stay for free at a Park Hyatt or any Hyatt that costs $$$$$
That is what I was thinking as well.

I have 8 stays so far in 2011, will continue on as Diamond if we see FFN. Otherwise will let Hyatt drop and just stick with Marriott for 2012.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
9 YTD stays and I'll get to 25 with or without FFN. My vote is for 0 FFN during 2011 and drop the number of diamonds. Hotel programs with too many top level elites fractures the experience.
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rdchen View Post
Elite re-qualification period runs Jan. 1 - Dec 31, i.e. you need 25 stays before the end of 2011, not the end of Feb., which is the status expiration date.
I think what bbbb is saying is that he or she will just sit out 2011 and wait until 2012, then make 25 stays by the end of Feb., thereby earning immediate status for the remainder of 2012, plus 2013.

If a Diamond is just mattress running to keep status (for whatever reason), and there is not a good promo prior to the end of 2011, it's a pretty solid strategy.

Spend that same money after Jan. 1, be immediately elevated to Diamond for the balance of 2012, plus the following year -- without any gap in status.
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:48 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The FFN aspect of Hyatt's Gold Passport program is a major asset to the program, and it certainly engenders the loyalty of its members. If this aspect of the program is not offered, then Hyatt's program has to compete with Hilton, Starwood and others in many other aspects which could pose more challenges for them.
Old Aug 12, 11, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by kuponuts View Post
I really hope Hyatt can rid those people who won't make diamond without FFN or double stay credit. There are too many diamonds anyway as a result of past over-generous promotions. Hyatt should separate out those who are loyal to the brand from those who are just looking for a cheap deal.
I agree with this. Hyatt's generosity has set a high level of expectations and they're starting to see some backlash from not carrying over last year's generosity. As you can see in this thread and others, there are many people who are not happy and have very few stays at Hyatt this year, most of whom are Diamonds.

I don't know how many of those members are a result of last year, but I would not be surprised if it were a majority. I'll admit, I got in last year too, but I've been very happy with the treatment from Hyatt and I plan to re-qualify even if there is no FFN.
Old Aug 12, 11, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hy Dia,Choice Dia,MR Plt,PCR Plt,HH Gd, SPG Gd,Carlson Sil, CO Plt, UA Prem Exec, DL FO, Hertz #1GD
I will only requalify if they have an FFN promo. And even if they do, I need 19 more stays which would be pretty tough with the nearest Hyatt 3 hours away.

Hyatt needs more coverage for me to stay that much.
They just are not anywhere near many of the areas I was stationed.
I can say without a doubt that Hyatt is my favorite hotel chain.

I love HPs, spacy consistent and always top notch customer service.

I did hit plat so at least of they open up the promos in 2012 I will be earning plat extras as I hop HPs!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: