Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DENVER Property Advice...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
DENVER Property Advice...

...I'm taking my family to Denver for the Bears/Broncos game on December 11th. We're flying in on Dec. 10th and out on the 12th, so we'll have two nights in Denver. It will be myself, my wife, and my two boys (5 1/2 and 7<--taking him for his 7th bday).
I'm wanting to use my suite upgrade (important to have some space) at a full service property that has a lounge that is open on the weekends...or will provide us with breakfast of some sort. Being close to the stadium is a plus (I honestly don't even know what part of town it is in), but certainly not a must.

Any help from my fellow Flyertalkers would be GREATLY appreciated!^
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
I can't offer too much help on lounge availability on weekends, but I do have season tickets to the Broncos.... Both downtown locations (Grand and Regency) would be pretty convenient to get to the stadium - it's not a bad walk from either, as Invesco is located across the freeway from downtown, though google maps puts it at about 1.5-2 miles, which may be a little tougher with younger kids and who knows what the weather will be like in December. You can also take a combination of the free 16th Street Mall bus and light rail to get to the Invesco light rail stop.

The other full service option is the Hyatt Recency Tech Center about 10 miles south of the stadium. It's more of a business park area, but is about a quarter mile from the bellvue light rail station that you can take up to Invesco. I'm not sure I'd consider upgrading to a suite in a business park hotel is the best use of suite upgrades, but that is obviously a personal preference.

If you are driving, IMO the best parking lot options are on the downtown side of 25 at the pepsi center or auraria campus. Less than a 1/2 mile walk in (and all the close lots surrounding Invesco are season ticket lots), plus the slight extra distance means it's easier getting in and out.

It looks like Grand Hyatt has 784 sq ft executive suites and they should have good views, which would be a plus.

Game should be a lot of fun - just don't wear a Culter jersey to these parts!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
I highly recommend the HR Convention Center, especially if you're able to upgrade to a suite (the diamond upgrade is to an Aspen Suite). This suite is approximately 1500 sq. ft. and the living area has a a full bathroom and a double-sized murphy bed (in addition to a 6 seat dining table and a full size couch). As for the bedroom, these suites are connected to both a king room and room with 2 doubles, and you can request what type of connecting room you want.

I stayed at this property a few weekends ago, and the RC is open for both breakfast and evening snacks on the weekend.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by goldenbear
I can't offer too much help on lounge availability on weekends, but I do have season tickets to the Broncos.... Both downtown locations (Grand and Regency) would be pretty convenient to get to the stadium - it's not a bad walk from either, as Invesco is located across the freeway from downtown, though google maps puts it at about 1.5-2 miles, which may be a little tougher with younger kids and who knows what the weather will be like in December. You can also take a combination of the free 16th Street Mall bus and light rail to get to the Invesco light rail stop.

The other full service option is the Hyatt Recency Tech Center about 10 miles south of the stadium. It's more of a business park area, but is about a quarter mile from the bellvue light rail station that you can take up to Invesco. I'm not sure I'd consider upgrading to a suite in a business park hotel is the best use of suite upgrades, but that is obviously a personal preference.
Great advice on getting to the field, thanks a ton...know how I can get 6 tickets in decent seats?

As far as suite upgrades, I've NEVER used one...I only stay at Hyatts for work or use points...this will be my first time spending cash in years on a Hyatt hotel, so I'm gonna burn one.

If you are driving, IMO the best parking lot options are on the downtown side of 25 at the pepsi center or auraria campus. Less than a 1/2 mile walk in (and all the close lots surrounding Invesco are season ticket lots), plus the slight extra distance means it's easier getting in and out.

It looks like Grand Hyatt has 784 sq ft executive suites and they should have good views, which would be a plus.

Game should be a lot of fun - just don't wear a Culter jersey to these parts!
Funny you say that...both my boys want to wear theirs...they keep saying..."Man, everyone in Denver will LOVE it that I'm wearing my Cutler Jersey!" Ahhh...the innocence of youth!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aba030
I highly recommend the HR Convention Center, especially if you're able to upgrade to a suite (the diamond upgrade is to an Aspen Suite). This suite is approximately 1500 sq. ft. and the living area has a a full bathroom and a double-sized murphy bed (in addition to a 6 seat dining table and a full size couch). As for the bedroom, these suites are connected to both a king room and room with 2 doubles, and you can request what type of connecting room you want.

I stayed at this property a few weekends ago, and the RC is open for both breakfast and evening snacks on the weekend.
Sounds Perfect!^
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

No lounge at the HR DTC. Nice property, but usually overrun with kids on the weekends, at least in summer. (Great for mattress runs though.)

Also, no suites there, at least I've never found any, or been able to use my UG's.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Another comparison thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...and-hyatt.html .
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for you help. I just booked the Aspen Suite at the Hyatt Regency...average for the two nights is $120! ^
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks to everyone for you help. I just booked the Aspen Suite at the Hyatt Regency...average for the two nights is $120! ^
Excellent choice and a great deal. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
HRCC is your best option

I have stayed at all three properties multiple times and now live in Denver. The convention center is the way to go. The Regency club has much better food selections and amazing views of the mountains and stadium. Ask for a room viewing the mountains. One whole side of the hotel has that, above a certain floor. You won't regret it! Have fun!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:44 pm

While the Aspen Suite is the regular result for using a suite upgrade, I have been able to get a Cottonwood Suite in the past. YMMV, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The Cottonwood Suite is a step up, especially the bathroom.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BETA
While the Aspen Suite is the regular result for using a suite upgrade, I have been able to get a Cottonwood Suite in the past. YMMV, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The Cottonwood Suite is a step up, especially the bathroom.
I couldn't find anything on their website about the Cottonwood suite, but I'll certainly ask. With two kids, and having my Dad and his wife come by, space was my main motivation...it appears they're both ~1500sq ft., so I won't complain!

Have you had better luck calling in advance, or just asking when you show up?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Great advice on getting to the field, thanks a ton...know how I can get 6 tickets in decent seats?
Well, what do you consider 'decent'? Lower level? Or would something in the upper deck between the 20's be fine?

Stubhub and ticketexchange (though ticketmaster) are really the only way I'd buy NFL tickets - not always the best deals right now, but I think people are fishing right now for a good price. Come late October, things will go down a lot if the Broncos are losing (and I don't see it any other way to be honest this year).

6 is a hard number to get because there are not that many season ticket holders who buy that many, but it is possible. There are a lot of Chicago transplants in Denver, so the game will be one of the better draws - can't see a upper deck sideline seat selling for much less than $100 or a lower endzone selling for much less than $150. The NFL jacks season ticketholders by having the two preseason games at full price (I consider it as a 25% increase on each regular season game cost), so once you consider fees, season ticketholders are barely making money at those prices.

On suggestion is to try to buy seats on the east side - it's sunny on that side, so in December that makes a ton of difference.

That 1500 sq ft suite sounds great though.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:56 pm

Have you had better luck calling in advance, or just asking when you show up?
I generally call their local reservations person directly. PM me if you would like more info.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G

As far as suite upgrades, I've NEVER used one...I only stay at Hyatts for work or use points...this will be my first time spending cash in years on a Hyatt hotel, so I'm gonna burn one.

Funny you say that...both my boys want to wear theirs...they keep saying..."Man, everyone in Denver will LOVE it that I'm wearing my Cutler Jersey!" Ahhh...the innocence of youth!
You may want to make sure they don't see the guys selling "...Cutler Swallows" shirts.

Also based on experience I always recommend taking the Light Rail to Invesco. If I'm working and have a parking pass I drive but when I'm a fan the lightrail is perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.