FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Category Changes coming on Aug 4th (CONFIRMED) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1241164-category-changes-coming-aug-4th-confirmed.html)

chanp Jul 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Category Changes coming on Aug 4th (CONFIRMED)

Good Day!
I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to take a minute of your time and give you a heads up on a change that is happening at Gold Passport effective 8/4/11. We have 43 properties that will be changing their status as far as hotel category for points. 25 of them will be going up in points, while 18 of them will be going down. Several factors are taken in to play when these decisions are made such as regular room rates and demand. Just because the points are going down on some of them does not mean they are a lesser hotel.

So this is how it works...
If you currently have a reservation at a hotel that is going up in points, it will not change how you have booked it, even if your stay is after 8/4.

If you currently have a reservation at a hotel that is going down, and your stay is after 8/4, GP will be refunding you the difference in points.
If you need to change your dates, you will get the better option of the two, however anything changed after 9/3 (30 days later) will have to adhere to the new point chart.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

~And before you ask...they have not released the hotels to me yet. So after 8/4, if you have a point stay shoot me a email and I will check on it for you.

***If you are thinking about making a points stay for anytime after 8/4, I would recomend that you book it with me now, just in case it is a hotel that is going up. If it's not, it won't make a difference, and if it is one that is going down, you will still get the credit back. That will be the best way to protect yourself now.

ldsant Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 16803484)
Good Day!
I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to take a minute of your time and give you a heads up on a change that is happening at Gold Passport effective 8/4/11. We have 43 properties that will be changing their status as far as hotel category for points. 25 of them will be going up in points, while 18 of them will be going down. Several factors are taken in to play when these decisions are made such as regular room rates and demand. Just because the points are going down on some of them does not mean they are a lesser hotel.

So this is how it works...
If you currently have a reservation at a hotel that is going up in points, it will not change how you have booked it, even if your stay is after 8/4.

If you currently have a reservation at a hotel that is going down, and your stay is after 8/4, GP will be refunding you the difference in points.
If you need to change your dates, you will get the better option of the two, however anything changed after 9/3 (30 days later) will have to adhere to the new point chart.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

~And before you ask...they have not released the hotels to me yet. So after 8/4, if you have a point stay shoot me a email and I will check on it for you.

***If you are thinking about making a points stay for anytime after 8/4, I would recomend that you book it with me now, just in case it is a hotel that is going up. If it's not, it won't make a difference, and if it is one that is going down, you will still get the credit back. That will be the best way to protect yourself now.

My apologies if everybody else knows, but are you a Hyatt rep like the Gold Passport Concierge person? If not, why would we need to book with you?

kenbo Jul 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 16803698)
My apologies if everybody else knows, but are you a Hyatt rep like the Gold Passport Concierge person? If not, why would we need to book with you?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Maybe that is a cut and paste of an email that was received by the OP from his/her PL Rep? The first sentence refers to an email.

jrm68 Jul 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Wow again, never good news, my guess is 18 crappy HP or SS in places no one wants to stay go down one level and the 25 will skip up 1 or 2 levels. :(
Also since it mentions for awards I believe champ got this from someone at Hyatt.

It would be nice for some official announcement on this.

peteropny Jul 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by kenbo (Post 16803722)
Maybe that is a cut and paste of an email that was received by the OP from his/her PL Rep? The first sentence refers to an email.

IMO - I'm thinking the same thing.

chanp Jul 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes copied from an email I got from my hyatt rep.

hiltonlondon2009 Jul 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Devaluation due to credit card points accrued?

J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport Jul 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Dear FlyerTalkers,

It appears as though one of our Customer Service Representatives released information prematurely. Our intent is to always post information here and in other similar forums as soon as possible, so our most engaged customers get information in the timeliest manner.

In this case, the proper procedures were not followed. While this is unfortunate, our goal is to always be completely transparent.

There are indeed some changes to Hyatt Gold Passport, which were originally planned to be announced this week and next. This includes several new benefits and changes to the award chart.

We will post all of this information as soon as humanly possible.

We appreciate your consideration and look forward to your feedback.

Warm regards,

Jeff

spgplat21 Jul 26, 2011 9:16 pm

As long as there isn't a new category 7 or an increase in the points required for Cat 6, I'll be happy.

I usually don't find point options that appealing unless it's at one of the high end Cat. 6 properties, mainly because most regular Hyatts have a good corporate rate and I usually don't stay at Hyatt Places.

Regardless, I'm anxiously awaiting the official news.

kenbo Jul 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 16804283)
As long as there isn't a new category 7 or an increase in the points required for Cat 6, I'll be happy.

I usually don't find point options that appealing unless it's at one of the high end Cat. 6 properties, mainly because most regular Hyatts have a good corporate rate and I usually don't stay at Hyatt Places.

Same here. I'm especially curious about the new benefits that will be announced.

elsie Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Does this mean:

On AUG 4
If you want to book a hotel that happens to have gone up, you basically have no notice and it is immediately more expensive?

Prefer:
Aug 4
We are changing some hotels, they will be more expensive to redeem from Sep 3.

or did I misunderstand?

chanp Jul 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 16804283)

Originally Posted by kenbo (Post 16804427)
Same here. I'm especially curious about the new benefits that will be announced.

From what I was told, no newer higher category will be coming.

coterie Jul 26, 2011 11:53 pm

bet you 48Lex will be going up. Book them while you can...

holtju2 Jul 26, 2011 11:57 pm

So 18 HP's are going down a category or two (nobody wants to redeem at them anyway) and all the desirable international ones are going up?

moulder3 Jul 27, 2011 12:09 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the SECOND devaluation of points in a year?!? If so, I don't know how we can view this as anything but the Chase credit card is killing redemption rates for all (especially elite) Gold Passport members!

How come Starwood, Marriott...etc. all have branded credit cards yet don't have to devalue points this often? I'll wait to see the list, but I'm guessing that 75% of the hotels will be going up a level (with the remaining 25% dropping)--otherwise why not at least wait until early 2012 for the devaluation?

Why won't Hyatt learn from the missteps of other chains when it comes to point devaluation <cough> Hilton <cough>?!? A Hilton hotel manager recently told me that he estimates his hotel lost 15-20% of their elite members (presumably to other chains) with Hilton's awful point devaluation in spring of 2010. I have been banking Hyatt points because value was maintained, year over year. To me, Hyatt is quickly losing many of the advantages that make business travelers go out of their way to hit 25 stays/50 nights a year.

Unless there's an FFN promo this fall, reclaiming Diamond is no longer a priority for me... :(