FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt London do: Autumn 2012 (sponsored) - Oct 25-28, 2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1240648-hyatt-london-do-autumn-2012-sponsored-oct-25-28-2012-a.html)

DHalltheway Aug 18, 2012 11:59 am

Hyatt London do: Autumn 2012 (sponsored) - Oct 25-28, 2012

Hi Price123,

Quick question about the do promo: Do points for the bonus challenge post once you reach each qualifying level? Or do they all post after oct 28?

Ps: I have more than 10 nights since 30th july, and thus far and no bonus points posted yet. Therefore am seeking clarification.

Thank you! :)

price123 Aug 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 19147481)
Hi Price123,

Quick question about the do promo: Do points for the bonus challenge post once you reach each qualifying level? Or do they all post after oct 28?

Ps: I have more than 10 nights since 30th july, and thus far and no bonus points posted yet. Therefore am seeking clarification.

Thank you! :)

They should post as lump sum after the do, as only people with stays at the do will get the points.

travelkid Aug 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19148240)
..... as only people with stays at the do will get the points.

Smart move! Fine for me, but is this new?

DHalltheway Aug 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19148240)
They should post as lump sum after the do, as only people with stays at the do will get the points.

Noted. Thanks!:)

price123 Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19148574)
Smart move! Fine for me, but is this new?

Not new. Terms and conditions say to allow 6-8 weeks after october 28th for points to show on account (although i would hope it would be quicker than that). Promotions are only for people who attend the do. Only way to confirm this is to award after the event. Also, I guess the points are added manually so they will only want to do it once.

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 1:35 am

Makes total sense to me, and am not surprised that this would be the way this special promo would be implemented!

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 3:30 am

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19150229)
Not new. Terms and conditions say to allow 6-8 weeks after october 28th for points to show on account (although i would hope it would be quicker than that). Promotions are only for people who attend the do. Only way to confirm this is to award after the event. Also, I guess the points are added manually so they will only want to do it once.

Makes sense, except that if you have invested lots of stays into Hyatt and gets sick for the DO, and have to cancel the fully cancellable DO room- you wont get the bonus. This does not seem clear- or fair. Will you also loose the diamond trial status, and any suite upgrades you have applied to future stays etc?

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 5:26 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19150490)
Makes sense, except that if you have invested lots of stays into Hyatt and gets sick for the DO, and have to cancel the fully cancellable DO room- you wont get the bonus. This does not seem clear- or fair. Will you also loose the diamond trial status, and any suite upgrades you have applied to future stays etc?

Subject to price123's confirmation (w/HGP), I believe the bonus points issue is separate from the diamond trial (limited in duration). IME, it comes down to fulfilling the T&C's of the offer -- so if, for any reason, you unable to fulfill the required 2 nts @ the Churchill during the DO, HGP is not going to award the bonus pts, but if you fulfill the 18 stays in 90 days, it would appear that you would get your diamond status extended, as listed in the offer.

As for the suite upgrades, anything that is 'consumed' (ie. applied) should probably be ok, -- similar to to existing diamonds who apply their suite upgrades to future stays before the status year expires.

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 5:38 am

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 19150738)
Subject to price123's confirmation (w/HGP), I believe the bonus points issue is separate from the diamond trial (limited in duration). IME, it comes down to fulfilling the T&C's of the offer -- so if, for any reason, you unable to fulfill the required 2 nts @ the Churchill during the DO, HGP is not going to award the bonus pts, but if you fulfill the 18 stays in 90 days, it would appear that you would get your diamond status extended, as listed in the offer.

As for the suite upgrades, anything that is 'consumed' (ie. applied) should probably be ok, -- similar to to existing diamonds who apply their suite upgrades to future stays before the status year expires.

I agree its absolutely fair- as long as its clear. And to me this was a new twist. But it doesnt affect me in any way, not only because Im going to the DO, but also as I wont get the bonus points. I cancelled my planned 13 nights at Asia Hyatts when Diamond status didnt show up in time. It was too much of a hassle to have everything added manually to multiple hotels. Easier to use IC RA and HH diamond, adding the great CC promo:D

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 5:45 am

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 19150738)

As per the DO site;

"From July 30, 2012 through October 28, 2012, registered Hyatt Gold Passport attendees to the event will be entered into a bonus challenge. They will earn 5,000 points after every three eligible nights, up to a total of 18 nights and 30,000 points"

The term "registered attendees" is used, which is excactly the same term used for the Diamond trial clause- which by the way is not updated to reflect current conditions. If they were registered attendees at time of stay I would say terms met. Not only is it the natural meaning of the sentence- IMO, but also makes the different parts consistent.

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 5:53 am

travelkid- is there a reason now that you believe that you will not be able to fulfill the 2 nt stay @ the Churchill during the DO, -- or is this totally hypothetical?:confused:

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19150775)
But it doesnt affect me in any way, not only because Im going to the DO....

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 19150825)
travelkid- is there a reason now that you believe that you will not be able to fulfill the 2 nt stay @ the Churchill during the DO, -- or is this totally hypothetical?:confused:

No reason to be confused (about me- not the t&c).

See quote above. My only concern was that it may affect others, as this is a way of enforcing t&cs Ive never seen. But maybe Hyatt will post bonus points after all, if this become an issue. I guess most DOs have some cancellations.

Markie Aug 19, 2012 6:45 am

It's a great promo IMHO and one that I am going to use. I certainly think it fair that I get the points if I do the stay - the two are totally interconnected.

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19150977)
No reason to be confused (about me- not the t&c).

See quote above. My only concern was that it may affect others, as this is a way of enforcing t&cs Ive never seen. But maybe Hyatt will post bonus points after all, if this become an issue. I guess most DOs have some cancellations.

IIUC, this promo was specially negotiated for this DO byprice123 on our behalf, so the particulars of the promo are specific to this DO. I would assume that all the processing of the various aspects or the promo - is manual (unlike the program-wide promos by HGP), -- as is true w/other special promos Hyatt has done as a sponsor (SMDs, for example), so the 'delay' issue is not at all unfamiliar to those who have participated in FT DOs w/special promos associated with them.

I would just suggest patience with all of this, post-DO, I trust that the proper info. will be passed on to HGP at the conclusion of the weekend. The last thing Jenny needs is to be bombarded w/PMs & impatient whining as soon as the DO concludes in Oct.!:rolleyes:

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 19151005)
It's a great promo IMHO and one that I am going to use. I certainly think it fair that I get the points if I do the stay - the two are totally interconnected.

In that case the promo should have run after the DO to avoid confusion. Or have come with a big warning. Its very expensive (if you have relied on bonus and booked many stays) to become ill when such important details are well hidden and unclear in t&c. My point being that earning your points based on some future act/stay is uncertain and uncommon.

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 19151005)

Totally agree!:p I know you understand how HGP works re: special promos!;)

Markie Aug 19, 2012 7:00 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 19151034)
In that case the promo should have run after the DO to avoid confusion. Or have come with a big warning. Its very expensive (if you have relied on bonus and booked many stays) to become ill when such important details are well hidden and unclear in t&c. My point being that earning your points based on some future act/stay is uncertain and uncommon.

Not really, often you earn points based on a certain number of stays - if I am sick and only make say two of the three required stays then that's my problem. If you can point to where it says the stay was not required then I might have more sympathy. In my case, I am paying to stay in a hotel in the city where I live when I have a perfectly good bedroom, so that I can enjoy the events and the promo. I think the organiser has done a great deal here and am disappointed by your view of this.

RTW1 Aug 19, 2012 7:00 am

No it's not expensive when you have to cancel.... You will only miss some EXTRA bonus point that you wouldn't have gotten any other way. And you will probably also have enjoyed Diamond status that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Why all the complaining....

travelkid Aug 19, 2012 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 19151071)
Not really, often you earn points based on a certain number of stays - if I am sick and only make say two of the three required stays then that's my problem. If you can point to where it says the stay was not required then I might have more sympathy. In my case, I am paying to stay in a hotel in the city where I live when I have a perfectly good bedroom, so that I can enjoy the events and the promo. I think the organiser has done a great deal here and am disappointed by your view of this.

No need to be disappointed. Im only raising a question about something not clear- IMHO- in the T&C, where a later statement and possible clarification made me wonder, as that was not how I had read T&C. You are absolutely right that if a promo says bonus after 3 stays, you wont get it after 2 stays failing to do the third being sick or whatever.

But in this case the bonus tiers are laid out without that specific and clear requirement, and you have possibly invested 50-100 nights at worst. Not your 2 of 3 example I would say.

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 19151074)
No it's not expensive when you have to cancel.... You will only miss some EXTRA bonus point that you wouldn't have gotten any other way. And you will probably also have enjoyed Diamond status that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Why all the complaining....

You may have read posts from someone on my ignore list, as you reference to "all complaining". As noted I have only raised a techical question on t&c, as to me it seems a possible unfair practice.

Point being that choosing Hyatt to other brands who would give far better value without Hyatt bonus points. Of course you would enjoy diamond benefits, but people have different other statuses etc. YMMV. The risk involved here would have been a key element to consider for me making these months hotel plans. I always like to go for the safe choice:D

I have even said such lack of posting would be fair, but people should have been notified/warned clearly. And no doubt great work by the organizer for the DO in any case.

qbrain Aug 19, 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 16794233)
You are welcome to attend the do to participate in promotions even if you cannot get a space on sponsored activities.

To attend, you must a) have a reservation at the Churchill for a minimum of 2 nights on the group rate and b) register online here.

The verbiage on the website states each of the different promotions is for "attendees".

I don't think there is anything unclear about the intent of how to qualify for the promotions.

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 19150825)
or is this totally hypothetical?:confused:

This does seem like a search for hypothetical edge cases that would still qualify for the promotion.

price123 Aug 19, 2012 10:44 am

I think everything necessary has been said and I'm sorry if things are unclear.

In order to attend the event, I made it clear that a minimum 2 night stay on the group rate was necessary, and that if you wanted to take part in HGP promotions, you had to register online to agree to t+c. The t+c were written by HGP, not me. I agree that it may have been better to have the promotions after the event and I made this point, but I'm sure that there was good reason for doing it before.

As for what happens if someone cancels their London reservation? I would say it is within HGP's right to not award any bonus points and to revert the account to the status it was before the event. I would not be surprised if status continued, as a goodwill gesture on HGP's account, but I doubt bonus points would be awarded, especially with the overlap for the general promo.

qbrain Aug 19, 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19152078)
especially with the overlap for the general promo.

I did mean to ask about that. The T&C state

Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers.
but in my experience Hyatt stacks promotions even though their T&C say they can't. Anything official on if our promo stacks with the public promo?

I have not run all the numbers, so I am not sure it affects my stays, so let's call it a hypothetical.

price123 Aug 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain (Post 19152206)
I did mean to ask about that. The T&C state

but in my experience Hyatt stacks promotions even though their T&C say they can't. Anything official on if our promo stacks with the public promo?

I have not run all the numbers, so I am not sure it affects my stays, so let's call it a hypothetical.

nothing official - I just know in the past promos have been stackable and I would have thought it beyond Hyatt IT not to make it so. I'll check and let you know.

mnmag Aug 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19152719)
nothing official - I just know in the past promos have been stackable and I would have thought it beyond Hyatt IT not to make it so. I'll check and let you know.

Thanks, Jenny!^

mnmag Aug 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Just booked air - great deal PHL-LHR $486!

crystak Aug 23, 2012 6:38 am

Price123 and I have now set up the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/londonhyattdo

Check it out and hit 'Like' to automatically get news & updates or to arrange meet ups/ lounge guesting, etc. if you are a Facebook user :).

SEAUAKID Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am

I don't see this being answered before, so I apologize if it has been -

I'm in London on the evening of Thurs the 25th. Would it be possible to attend the events that evening, but not the rest?

price123 Aug 23, 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID (Post 19178317)
I don't see this being answered before, so I apologize if it has been -

I'm in London on the evening of Thurs the 25th. Would it be possible to attend the events that evening, but not the rest?

The only way to attend any sponsored events is to spend 2 nights at the Churchill on the group rate. Thus to attend the champagne reception on the Thursday night, you would need to spend 2 nights at the Churchill (between 24th and 29th October).

price123 Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

I have had confirmation that you can take part in the concurrent bonus points promotions at the same time i.e. nights you stay in September and October will earn bonus points on both the promotion for all HGP members and the promotion only for people attending the event.

Nights for the event's promotion will be calculated in the week following the do and should be awarded by mid-November.

DHalltheway Aug 23, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19178430)
I have had confirmation that you can take part in the concurrent bonus points promotions at the same time i.e. nights you stay in September and October will earn bonus points on both the promotion for all HGP members and the promotion only for people attending the event.

Nights for the event's promotion will be calculated in the week following the do and should be awarded by mid-November.

^

Thanks for all the hard work price! :D

Boraxo Aug 24, 2012 9:29 am

Much to my surprise I may actually be in London at this time. However Hyatt will have to woo this Plat away from Marriott. Room upgrade or lounge access would be a good place to start.

price123 Aug 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 19185424)
Much to my surprise I may actually be in London at this time. However Hyatt will have to woo this Plat away from Marriott. Room upgrade or lounge access would be a good place to start.

Well, if you attend the do and spend 2 nights on the group rate at the Churchill, you will qualify for the Hyatt promotions and will have diamond status until Feb 2013. This will give you a club room and lounge access, as well as 4 suite upgrade certificates, although bear in mind we may have booked all the Churchills suites already! But yes, upgrade and lounge access would be granted.

mnmag Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19178430)

excellent!^

price123 Aug 30, 2012 10:35 am

In answer to a PM I received, but info may be useful for others:

The last night to count for the promotions is check-in 28th October.

DHalltheway Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Post DO trip

Good day,

While I know it is unlikely for me to do this, I am keeping an open mind.

I am thinking of heading down to AMS to stay for a night at the new Andaz AMS, which is slated for a soft launch middle/end Oct, after this DO. I may do this either before or after the DO depending on the flight availability.

I just wondering out loud if anyone else is going down too or keen to.

price123 Sep 12, 2012 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 19299025)
Good day,

While I know it is unlikely for me to do this, I am keeping an open mind.

I am thinking of heading down to AMS to stay for a night at the new Andaz AMS, which is slated for a soft launch middle/end Oct, after this DO. I may do this either before or after the DO depending on the flight availability.

I just wondering out loud if anyone else is going down too or keen to.

Nice idea and you might get the Andaz to do a good rate. We can't join you for work reasons but would love to see the property.

For people thinking of things to do, the Diwali festival in Trafalgar Square is on the 28th Oct - I have never been but could be of interest?

price123 Sep 18, 2012 4:04 am

Another reminder that I need your menu choices soon - here. If you are coming +1 I need names of both people.

You can also let me know your travel plans to see if anyone is on the same flight as you or wants to share a taxi from LHR for example - here

Also, that I need people for the focus group. AMEX are offering an evening activity (for 32 people), so people who participate in the focus group will have priority access to this.

Lastly (for now) I have organised a tour of the Connection at St Martin-in-the-Fields for Saturday afternoon (2:15-3:15). This is the charity that we will be supporting with the prize draw, so it's a great opportunity to find out how your donations will help. Please let me know if you wish to come so we have a better idea of numbers.

mnmag Sep 18, 2012 4:17 am

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 19335276)
Another reminder that I need your menu choices soon - here. If you are coming +1 I need names of both people.

You can also let me know your travel plans to see if anyone is on the same flight as you or wants to share a taxi from LHR for example - here

Also, that I need people for the focus group. AMEX are offering an evening activity (for 32 people), so people who participate in the focus group will have priority access to this.

Lastly (for now) I have organised a tour of the Connection at St Martin-in-the-Fields for Saturday afternoon (2:15-3:15). This is the charity that we will be supporting with the prize draw, so it's a great opportunity to find out how your donations will help. Please let me know if you wish to come so we have a better idea of numbers.

I thought I had submitted menu choices, but can't remember -- so I filled it out!

Yes, I am interested in the tour of the charity on Sat.!:cool:

DHalltheway Sep 19, 2012 2:34 am

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 19335310)
I thought I had submitted menu choices, but can't remember -- so I filled it out!

Yes, I am interested in the tour of the charity on Sat.!:cool:

there are two menu choices
1) Gherkin
2) Gala dinner

:cool:

price123 Sep 19, 2012 3:55 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 19342243)
there are two menu choices
1) Gherkin
2) Gala dinner

:cool:

The meal at the Gherkin is on Friday night. The gala dinner is on Saturday night.