Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Emeryville (Bay Area) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold

Maybe this is the first tread about summerfield suite emeryville. Otherwise, please merge my short review to the other thread..

Summerfield Suite Emeryville is good news to me, since there was no low-cost hyatt property near bay area so far. So, normally I should go to pleasanton/dublin or fremont for matress run. This property opened yesterday (I guess), and today is full.. Interesting. Previously, this property is woodfin suite I never been. But, comparing four points (starwood), this is quite impressive building which offers good view of bay bridge and golden gate bridge. I probably like this property in future..

[Check-in]
One staff was calling somewhere, and another staff came out when I showed up. My rate showed $124, even though I reserved it with $74 (government rate). So, I asked I reserved it for $74, then he asked me a government ID. So I did.. he said "new rate is $94.." I cannot belive this.. So, I opend my laptop to see confirmation page of my reservation. Indeed, my confirmation said $74.. So, I shoed this adjacent staff (who looks more senior). Finally, she apologized this discrepancy and honor $74.. I don't which rate is correct, but obviously $74 was hyatt.com and I grabbed it.. Also, no mention about diamond amenity, so I should ask it..

[Room]
12th fllor is good for view of bay. Rm1220 was corner room.. But, room itself is not quite impressive since it's just transferred from woodfin suite. Quite large one bed room suite as well as kitchenette (no oven nor grill) Coffee maker is good

Bed and bathroom is as same level as hyatt place.. just so so.. One flat tv (32inch) in living room and one CRT tv in bedroom..

[Diamond Amenity]
500pts or fruit plate with water.. Indeed, there is no bottled water in room!

[Breakfast]
Free hot breakfast from 6:30am to 9:30am (M-F), from 7am to 10am (Sa-Su). And social hour (happy hour) 5:30pm to 7pm (M-Th).. I didn't try yet, si I'll update tomorrow.

[Internet]
Wireless is free with activation code, but it's totally crappy. It took 30 mins to connect (too slow). So, I just caught four point's signal, and I'm writing this review..

[Pool]
Small outdoor pool and jacuzzi is open from 10am to 10pm with fitness center. above average..

Overall, I like this property because it's only 5min from my home. But, it's still in transition period which makes overall process is not smooth. I hope this will get better soon!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:19 pm

I posted about the change a few weeks ago but no responses. I'm not sure Emeryville is a popular location as it's mostly a retail shopping city.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...yville-ca.html

Thanks for your review though. I was curious as to how things were going and was planning on wandering in to ask a few questions at some point. You provided some good info.

Overall, I'm glad Hyatt finally has a presence in this part of the Bay Area.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kenbo
I posted about the change a few weeks ago but no responses. I'm not sure Emeryville is a popular location as it's mostly a retail shopping city.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...yville-ca.html

Thanks for your review though. I was curious as to how things were going and was planning on wandering in to ask a few questions at some point. You provided some good info.

Overall, I'm glad Hyatt finally has a presence in this part of the Bay Area.
Pixar is expanding it's HQ in Emeryville and there are many biotech companies there as well. So definitely more than a retail city.

The Woodfin was also home to many people that lived in the Condos across the way as they had major construction problems - I believe mold. I think some people lived there for more than a year.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
Pixar is expanding it's HQ in Emeryville and there are many biotech companies there as well. So definitely more than a retail city.
This is true. Good call. Not sure how I forgot about those, especially Pixar.

I think what I was aiming for was that Emeryville is not necessarily a haven for business travelers, at least not that I know of.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:04 pm

Emeryville is where businesses which would otherwise be in nearby Oakland go - Ikea, Target, Home Depot, Michaels, the whole Bay Street (?) mall, Apple Store, the Emery Bay Mall, card rooms...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
In addition to Pixar, I'm also good to host my guests to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (my place) and UC Berkeley.. There're some humble brand places (holiday inn express, some crappy motels) which I didn't like. Thus, I used to use four points emeryville.. Now, I have more options!!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
In addition to Pixar, I'm also good to host my guests to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (my place) and UC Berkeley.. There're some humble brand places (holiday inn express, some crappy motels) which I didn't like. Thus, I used to use four points emeryville.. Now, I have more options!!
There's a Hilton Garden Inn - former Holiday Inn, I think - that's okay. And the usually cheap Doubltree at the Berkeley Marina isn't far. But yes, a Hyatt property is appealing. I wonder whether the reflagging has anything to do with the labor (and construction?) disputes that, if I recall correctly, plagued the Woodfin.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I was very glad to see this in the last few days, both when looking to book a Gold Passport property, and then driving by, seeing it from the freeway. Monolithic building - not a bad thing - not of the typical SS model. What a wonderful location. I wonder if there's convenient public transportation to The City. If so, it would be a hop, skip and a jump over the Bay Bridge, seems to me. The building still has its former brand's sign encased in canvas. (Thought it might be "Wyndham Suites", if there are such, before coming to this thread.)

A couple of other aspects make me happy, too. This was relatively unannounced, indicating the the Hyatt family (of hotels) is capable of moving fairly quickly and grabbing an opportunity when it comes along. Very good news, if so. And it's wonderful to have another prospect in the Bay Area -- anywhere, for that matter. ^
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
I wonder if there's convenient public transportation to The City. If so, it would be a hop, skip and a jump over the Bay Bridge, seems to me.
One option is to take a short walk across the sky bridge that is to the left of the hotel, if you're looking at it from the main entrance. The bridge goes over the train tracks and then you take the Emery-Go-Round (free shuttle) to the Macarthur BART station. From there it's just a few stops and then you're in SF.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Bingo. Thank you, kenbo. Now we just pray for good rates.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
They had an $81 prepaid rate when I checked earlier this week for last night (Friday), but for some reason the website added in both occupancy tax and sales tax (almost 22% total) so I did not book there. I did a night at a Hyatt Place instead.

Total Per Room 81.00 USD
Additional Charges
9.750 Percent tax
12.000 Percent occupancy tax
Total After Tax
98.62 US
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
I stopped here last week to see it before checking in at the Hyatt Place in Fremont. It is a little difficult to find if you haven't been there before but I found it very easy to get back on both freeways thanks to their directions. Front desk staff was very helpful and told me the property would be undergoing a full conversion (new beds, carpet and furnishings) to Hyatt that would hopefully be done by the end of the year. When I told them I was a Diamond they offered to give me a brief tour and sent a bellman out to show me one of the rooms. I've never stayed at a Woodfin Suites but the room layout reminded me of some Summerfields I stayed at in California and Texas.
I was told there are 2 room types here. Deluxe rooms have a bedroom and a seperate living room with a kitchen. Standard rooms are smaller but they said the majority of rooms are Deluxe. There was a full service restaurant in the lobby for the free hot breakfast and a free happy hour too. I noticed there were train tracks directly behind the hotel but I'm not sure which line/trains use them or if noise would be a problem. Lots of free parking in the hotel lot with a Starbucks, Borders, Barnes & Noble and movie theatres nearby. I believe the staff is being trained by the folks at the Hyatt Place Fremont. I would stay here in the future since I often fly into Oakland. It's a short drive across the Bay Bridge into the San Francisco but it all depends on the time and traffic when you do it.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I am a Diamond and posted my recent experience in Cypress, CA, the same Woofin chain this place belongs to. I had a very negative experince in Cypress, and mentioned it to a Diamond friend. He insisted on staying at this place during his recent visit. I visited him a few times while in Emeryville and same comments applies to this place as Cypress but this place is a bit cleaner.

I think in general, Hyatt jumped the gun in selling the few Woofin properties under Summerfield Suites brand, they are really not ready.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
[...]

I think in general, Hyatt jumped the gun in selling the few Woofin properties under Summerfield Suites brand, they are really not ready.
Acknowledging that Hyatt doesn't always re-brand all that it buys (some AmeriSuites and the whole Budgetel group), curious I am re where the other Woodfin cum Hyatts (or Hyatts-to-be) are. Also acknowledging that the Woodfin|Hardage Group (?!) would have de-listed them, I still checked them out. They must have worked to stay off the radar. Anyway, can you shed more light, please? Thank you.

Bless Google:
http://investors.hyatt.com/phoenix.z...cle&id=1565265

"The acquired properties are located in Cypress, Emeryville, and Sorrento Mesa, California."

And for those as unfamiliar as I was re Sorrento Mesa...

"...Sorrento Mesa, located in northern San Diego County near La Jolla, Del Mar, and Miramar..."

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: status-less.
Stayed here last night while attending the IEEE conference; wouldn't be surprised if oneworldtraveller and I were both there. Found the property to be in relatively good shape; breakfast was acceptable but not great. Not a lot of Diamond recognition; they knew I was one, thanked me for my business, but then said they were sold out, there were no upgrades available and put me on the 4th floor, on the side facing the trains. Yeah, it was a corner room, had the mini-suite layout and only for one night, but.... Anyway, ask to be on the side away from the tracks.

Elevator requires your card to get to the 11th floor, but didn't check to see if rooms on that floor are different or better.

The ability to get places using the Emery-go-round is a big plus and will make this a new go-to place on future LBL visits. Seems I'm now 2-for-3 on places I suggested needed a Hyatt Place

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.